US to ban travel to North Korea

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson had determined to implement a “geographical travel restriction” for North Korea, which would make the use of a U.S. passport to enter the rogue regime illegal. The restriction is reportedly going into effect 30 days after a notice is published in the Federal Register, but it was not immediately clear when the notice would be published. There was no announcement in Friday’s edition of the government publication.

“We have just been informed that the US government will no longer be allowing US citizens to travel to DPRK (North Korea.) It is expected that the ban will come into force within 30 days of July 27th. After the 30 day grace period any US national that travels to North Korea will have their passport invalidated by their government," the statement said.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/...ed-from-north-korea-travel-officials-say.html

Thoughts?

I think it's not needed. Just make it clear that no support will be offered to anyone that goes there. America is supposed to be a free country. We should have the right to free travel.
There goes my summer plans....lol I bet the left will still shit on the decision.

There goes my summer plans....lol I bet the left will still shit on the decision.

I have an issue with the US invalidating a passport for travelling somewhere they don't want you to. As a member of the right, you don't have a problem with the government telling you where you're allowed to go? Odd stance for someone who wants limited regulation and government oversight.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson had determined to implement a “geographical travel restriction” for North Korea, which would make the use of a U.S. passport to enter the rogue regime illegal. The restriction is reportedly going into effect 30 days after a notice is published in the Federal Register, but it was not immediately clear when the notice would be published. There was no announcement in Friday’s edition of the government publication.

“We have just been informed that the US government will no longer be allowing US citizens to travel to DPRK (North Korea.) It is expected that the ban will come into force within 30 days of July 27th. After the 30 day grace period any US national that travels to North Korea will have their passport invalidated by their government," the statement said.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/...ed-from-north-korea-travel-officials-say.html

Thoughts?

I think it's not needed. Just make it clear that no support will be offered to anyone that goes there. America is supposed to be a free country. We should have the right to free travel.

Who the fuck wants to go to North Korea anyway.

I have an issue with the US invalidating a passport for travelling somewhere they don't want you to. As a member of the right, you don't have a problem with the government telling you where you're allowed to go? Odd stance for someone who wants limited regulation and government oversight.
I see what youre saying, we should be free to go anywhere, but if an American goes there and gets imprisoned knowing full well that that is a good possibility , maybe they should be on their own. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I see what youre saying, we should be free to go anywhere, but if an American goes there and gets imprisoned knowing full well that that is a good possibility , maybe they should be on their own. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

You know that the American government can't afford to lose face by abandoning one of their own though. Especially after the kid was sent back in a bodybag.

So it is best for all parties involved, that there are no hostage situations between North Korea and America, which could irreversibly severe the already tense relations between the two countries.

Perhaps there is insider knowledge that Kim-Jong is trying to intentionally provoke a response, so this was seen as the best alternative to prevent feeding into his provocations.

I can agree with that completely. If you go somewhere and the State Department is telling you "hey motherfucker, we've been at war with them for the last 60 years. You're considered an enemy spy and shouldn't go", then you should accept any risk of going. That said, I don't think our government should be in the business of banning you from traveling just for traveling somewhere they don't like.

I don't want to be the CT guy, but if I was planning a military operation against a country, I'd ensure that none of my own civilians were caught in mix as they'd undoubtedly be jailed or executed.

Or, they're just taking preemptive measures to avoid any further situations like what happened with that kid being beaten to a vegetative state.

Not a CT at all. First thing NK probably does to prepare for a strike is move captured American (and other NATO country) prisoners to high value target sites in order to dissuade attack.

Fuck, if they ban travel to the Congo and Venezuala next that's going to ruin a lot of summers.

Are people considering that the US may be considering actions against NK and that's why it doesn't want it's own citizens in the country when they do so? Kinda odd most of the posts are about rights to travel when this may just be a common sense "we don't want hostages" scenario when they take action on NK.

If it isn't that though, I could understand the gripe. That one tourist came back dead though at the hands of their government so it's not exactly the safest tourist attraction.

Are people considering that the US may be considering actions against NK and that's why it doesn't want it's own citizens in the country when they do so? Kinda odd most of the posts are about rights to travel when this may just be a common sense "we don't want hostages" scenario when they take action on NK.

If it isn't that though, I could understand the gripe. That one tourist came back dead though at the hands of their government so it's not exactly the safest tourist attraction.
I doubt it. There's like 140,000 Americans living in South Korea and, in the event of a war or "strategic precision military strike", most of them are probably going to die within a few days. I don't see the difference that 4 or 5 Americans in North Korea would make.

This just just how racist trump is for some reason

I doubt it. There's like 140,000 Americans living in South Korea and, in the event of a war or "strategic precision military strike", most of them are probably going to die within a few days. I don't see the difference that 4 or 5 Americans in North Korea would make.

So it would probably be more of a reaction to the later of that guy dying there

I honestly thought travel on a US passport was already banned for NK.

I say if you want to go to North Korea...go for it....BUT if you get arrested, we're not going to help you...enjoy the trip dumbass.

Well, we have no embassy or consulate there, so I am not sure how the US would help someone stuck. Depend on the Swedes over and over?

I don't agree with banning US citizens from travelling to anywhere. If you choose to be a complete retard and go into North Korea or Iran, you get what you deserve by going there. The US shouldn't harm it's interests to protect you once the inevitable happens, but they shouldn't destroy your passport.

Reminds me of that kid who just got charged with spying in Iran. Like why the mother fuck is that kid there? What good could possibly come from being in Iran? If you need something from there, make a phone call or something.

He was probably spying

Passports....they are not yours. They are the property of the government that issues it to you. The holder of the passport is simply the custodian of the passport.

On that note, since the passport is not yours, then you cannot give it over to just anyone who asks for it.

If working overseas and an employers asks for your passport to "safekeep" it, say "No, it ain't mine to give to you."

I actually was planning to go and I do not like this at all. Any person who would go to North Korea would have to go through all the red tape and be fully aware of the international tensions, the nature of the North Korean state, and the fact that they would have no means of diplomatic retrieval. So this is just paternalistic authoritarianism.

To me, being able to experience a place so wildly different from my own (both in terms of culture and political repression) and circulate some money to a citizenry that desperately needs it is worth patronizing an oppressive regime and taking a 0.1% chance of being detained

That's a huge blow to North Korea's tourism sector.

I know this was a joke, but in the past decade North Korea has began liberalizing its tourism and making some profit.

I don't agree with banning US citizens from travelling to anywhere. If you choose to be a complete retard and go into North Korea or Iran, you get what you deserve by going there. The US shouldn't harm it's interests to protect you once the inevitable happens, but they shouldn't destroy your passport.

Reminds me of that kid who just got charged with spying in Iran. Like why the mother fuck is that kid there? What good could possibly come from being in Iran? If you need something from there, make a phone call or something.

I get the comments about North Korea, but that is a whole lot different than Iran. I have been to Iran and love it very much. It's a much more Western-oriented and liberal society than neighboring countries and has a lot to offer to travelers in terms of culture (Iran has the most ancient and amazing cultural hot spots in the world, such as Tomb of Cyrus, etc.). Despite what you may think, Iranians love Westerners and are very kind to them. Our government's (Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump most recently) fear mongering about Iran pisses me off to no end.

Iran > Jordan > any other country in the Middle East

He was probably spying

Well it's claimed that he simply copied a bunch of pages about Iranian history or something, which he isn't denying. I think the issue is he was doing research for a graduate level research paper and they decided to call it spying. As far as I know, the pages he is accused of copying don't really have a national security significance.

I get the comments about North Korea, but that is a whole lot different than Iran. I have been to Iran and love it very much. It's a much more Western-oriented and liberal society than neighboring countries and has a lot to offer to travelers in terms of culture (Iran has the most ancient and amazing cultural hot spots in the world, such as Tomb of Cyrus, etc.). Despite what you may think, Iranians love Westerners and are very kind to them. Our government's (Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump most recently) fear mongering about Iran pisses me off to no end.

Iran > Jordan > any other country in the Middle East

I'm sure Iran is safer than North Korea, but I would't consider either of them to be very friendly towards Americans. Iran is another one of those places that will get you caught up as a political prisoner really quick for doing the wrong thing. Our governments fear mongering about Iran is pretty well founded if you ask me. Iran is no friend to ISIS or Sunnis in general, but they aren't our friend either.

Passports....they are not yours. They are the property of the government that issues it to you. The holder of the passport is simply the custodian of the passport.

On that note, since the passport is not yours, then you cannot give it over to just anyone who asks for it.

If working overseas and an employers asks for your passport to "safekeep" it, say "No, it ain't mine to give to you."

You should have the freedom to go anywhere you want. If governments want to make passports for travel a requirement, then they shouldn't have the right to take them away for simply going somewhere they don't like.

Back