US Senate passes budget-busting $700 billion defense policy bill

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
WASHINGTON — The U.S. Senate voted 89-8 to pass a $700 defense policy bill for 2018 that would exceed President Donald Trump’s budget request and break statutory caps on defense spending.

The Senate on Monday passed a version of the National Defense Authorization Act that exceeds budget caps by $91 billion. It garnered support from all but four Democrats and all but three Republicans who voted.

Its passage adds pressure on Congress and the president to strike a deal that funds the federal government for 2018. Congress must ease the 2011 Budget Control Act caps or face an automatic across-the-board cut known as sequestration.

The bill surpasses the president’s $603 billion defense budget request, the $549 billion cap set by the BCA and the $696.5 billion House version, with which the Senate version must be reconciled before the NDAA’s final passage by Congress.

The House passed its annual defense authorization bill in July.

The Senate bill would authorize $640 billion for the Pentagon’s base budget, with $60 billion in budget-cap-exempt war funding. The House version authorizes $621.5 in base dollars and $75 billion in war funds.

[The US Senate missed a shot at repealing budget caps]

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John McCain, R-Ariz., cast the NDAA as both the start of a military build-up and as the remedy to a readiness crisis wrought by budget instability, which itself was evidenced by a spate of military mishaps recently, he said.
“The decision of the Committee on Armed Services to authorize these additional resources was unanimous and bipartisan, and it is a significant statement on the troubling state of our military today,” McCain said. “My friends, for too long, our nation has asked our men and women in uniform to do too much with far too little. Much of the blame lies over the last administration, but we in Congress cannot escape responsibility.”

The White House did not threaten to veto the measure or, in a statement on the bill earlier this month, criticize it for surpassing caps. The statement did jab at the Obama administration for enacting “harmful cuts to defense spending.”

Defense authorization conferees from the House and Senate must reconcile their chambers’ competing versions. Aside from the funding differences, the Senate bill opposes the House bill’s proposed Space Corps, a service branch devoted to space.

The Senate bill instead establishes a new DoD chief information warfare officer, who would serve as principal cyber adviser to the defense secretary and the principal DoD space adviser. Intended to grant an individual the power to set priorities in all three domains, it may compete with the House NDAA’s proposed Space Corps.

The bill proposes 24 more Lockheed Martin F-35 joint strike fighters, ten more Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornets, five more Navy ships and end-strength increases of 6,000 soldiers and 1,000 Marines.

http://www.defensenews.com/congress/2017/09/18/us-senate-passes-budget-busting-700-billion-ndaa/

apparently this isnt enough for good old john mcrain ...

we need to cut down the amount of shit we have so we can modernize faster

The U.S. Senate voted 89-8

Well, at least we can all still join hands & come together as one, when it comes to blowing shit up. #Murrica

Being self-appointed world police doesn't come cheap. Gotta keep feeding that Military-Industrial-Congressional Complex.

Being self-appointed world police doesn't come cheap. Gotta keep feeding that Military-Industrial-Congressional Complex.

Self-appointed? You would be wiped out within the next several minutes without the US babysitting you.

I'm not even commenting on the defense budget. Just this comment is very silly. The world appointed the US to this role more or less against the American public's will. Place the blame correctly: You, the undercontributing, EU, etc. The US has no choice because your countries aren't self-sufficient or sustainable. You literally live off of my tax dollars. Bum. Shine my shoes.

Self-appointed? You would be wiped out within the next several minutes without the US babysitting you.

I'm not even commenting on the defense budget. Just this comment is very silly. The world appointed the US to this role more or less against the American public's will. Place the blame correctly: You, the undercontributing, EU, etc. The US has no choice because your countries aren't self-sufficient or sustainable. You literally live off of my tax dollars. Bum. Shine my shoes.

You can critique the perceived faults in one's position without being a cunt.....

Let's hope we can start another war ASAP so that this spending can be properly used.

We also get better deals, resources, etc.

We are the godfather essentially...Sorry but it does benefit us to be the police man...and if China/Russia ever gets really close to challenging us for world policeman, u think America is gonna give it to them? LMFAO no

89-8

89 to frickin 8

and blowing $91 BILLION more than Trump requested. That's a veto-proof majority.
WTF is going on here??

It's amazing to me the general public can look at stuff like this and still pretend the hyperbole spewed in editorial "journalism" portrays real ideological separation of political parties in the USA.

It's a smoke-screen. RACE! GUNS! ABORTION! WHATEVER DROWNS THOUGHT IN EMOTION!

Then they all vote the same on every pertinent economic issue.

You can critique the perceived faults in one's position without being a cunt.....

akiPX6x.gif

89-8

How in the fuck do we replace 89 senators(plus the 3 too chicken shit to make a decision)?

89-8

89 to frickin 8

and blowing $91 BILLION more than Trump requested. That's a veto-proof majority.
WTF is going on here??
Read your username, dawg. Dinosaurs in politics running the show. It's gonna take 100 years to take this country back from the corporate cocksuckers.

It takes a lot of temerity for a Canadian to say this. Have some self awareness.

And yet you can't afford health care for everyone ....

Good. We need more $300 hammers and skate parks in military bases nobody uses.

Back