US poultry washed in chlorine because lives so awful their flesh rots while still alive (Brexit)

You also have to deal with pretty poor soil and low drainage, aluminium poisoning of crops and the such.
Aluminum poisoning is easy to deal with. Just add enough lime. Brazil's soils at least have excellent drainage.

lol How do you get too fat that you can't stand, yet at the same time have flesh that's rotting?

This is a conundrum.

I grew up on a chicken farm but it was for egg production as opposed to meat production. With that being said, once the laying hens reach a certain age, their productivity and egg quality decline. At that point they are sold off with younger hens cycled in. Since laying hens aren't of the best meat quality due to the fact they are geared to produce the most eggs possible as opposed to the most/best meat possible, as well as being older, they are used for things like pot pies and processed patties, where meat quality can basically be hidden.

The farm I grew up on was in California, and there were very stringent regulations. Nothing like what is described in this article would have been tolerated on our farm. Not just because of regulations, but because the laying hens are your production mechanism, and it's in your interest for them to be well cared for and comfortable. Nowadays people are more conscious of the treatment animals receive so you have options for free range and organic etc. The way to reform these industries is with your wallets. The fact is most people can't be bothered.

Do the chickens have large talons?

Aluminum poisoning is easy to deal with. Just add enough lime. Brazil's soils at least have excellent drainage.

Brazil is a big country, i doubt rainforest soils are used for major crops.

Brazil is a big country, i doubt rainforest soils are used for major crops.
It depends on what you mean by rainforest. Using the greenpeace definition yes. Using the brazilian legislation, no.
But as I said, nutrients are very 20th century. They're easy to add. You need drainage, flatness, soil depth. The amazon got that.
Most of our soils are dirty poor in nutrients, except in the south, which are similar to the american plains.

https://www.worldfoodprize.org/en/laureates/20002009_laureates/2006_lobato_mcclung_paolinelli/

That's a misconception promoted by green advocates. Intensive farming in Brazil is not done on the Amazon, it's done on temperate areas and the cerrado, a tropical savanna, which was pretty much a wasteland.
Rainforest is destroyed by illegal loggers and subsistence farmers but that's another deal.
That's the best english article I've read about it:
http://www.vqronline.org/essay/soy-amazon

American journalist goes to Brazil waiting to find a forest being destroyed by subsistence level africans, finds germans building a modern agricultural town over former badlands.

Thanks for this important note. I should have added they use cow shit.

Jesus that is a long article. 10 minutes into reading and I still had pages to go. Not sure if this article says what you claim. Good article though.

It depends on what you mean by rainforest. Using the greenpeace definition yes. Using the brazilian legislation, no.
But as I said, nutrients are very 20th century. They're easy to add. You need drainage, flatness, soil depth. The amazon got that.
Most of our soils are dirty poor in nutrients, except in the south, which are similar to the american plains.

https://www.worldfoodprize.org/en/laureates/20002009_laureates/2006_lobato_mcclung_paolinelli/

Well rainforest when i was in elemetary school decades ago was a place where precipitation was over 2,000 mm a year, i dont see how you can farm anything under those conditions.

Well rainforest when i was in elemetary school decades ago was a place where precipitation was over 2,000 mm a year, i dont see how you can farm anything under those conditions.
You add drainage channels. The rain is also concentrated on the wet season. It's great for stuff like flooded rice and bananas. Not great for wheat or other cold ass crops.

Jesus that is a long article. 10 minutes into reading and I still had pages to go. Not sure if this article says what you claim. Good article though.

Yeah, it's pretty interesting. 47 minutes reading time.

Do the chickens have large talons?

Not like eagles or anything but they could do some damage. As a kid I was constantly getting scratched up dealing with the laying hens. They also had beaks that could do a fair amount of damage. At a certain point when the hens get old enough they begin to peck each other. At that point we would perform a procedure called debeaking. It involves a machine with an electrically heated blade that sort of melts/cuts the beak as well as cauterizes it at the same time. You have to kind of choke the chicken (lol) so the top beak sticks out more than the bottom beak so that you don't cut the tongue off.

You can kind of see the talons here.

dsc08359.jpg

Debeaking

poultry-debeaker-250x250.gif

debeak_lg.jpg

Chicken-debeaked.jpg

^^^
That seems to be much shorter than what we debeaked our chickens to.

Last edited:
You add drainage channels. The rain is also concentrated on the wet season. It's great for stuff like flooded rice and bananas. Not great for wheat or other cold ass crops.

Yeah, it's pretty interesting. 47 minutes reading time.

Gotcha, i live in a place that gets measly 300mm a year, we have very poor drainage in our soils but still sometimes our drainage systems get overflown during hard rains since everything is flat.

I just cant comprehend the level of drainage that would be required for such amount of rainfall.

Gotcha, i live in a place that gets measly 300mm a year, we have very poor drainage in our soils but still sometimes our drainage systems get overflown during hard rains since everything is flat.

I just cant comprehend the level of drainage that would be required for such amount of rainfall.
It has to do with soil structure, I have a farm in a place that gets around 1500mm, it has no problems at all.

Not like eagles or anything but they could do some damage. As a kid I was constantly getting scratched up dealing with the laying hens. They also had beaks that could do a fair amount of damage. At a certain point when the hens get old enough they begin to peck each other. At that point we would perform a procedure called debeaking. It involves a machine with an electrically heated blade that sort of melts/cuts the beak as well as cauterizes it at the same time. You have to kind of choke the chicken (lol) so the top beak sticks out more than the bottom beak so that you don't cut the tongue off.

You can kind of see the talons here.

dsc08359.jpg

Debeaking

poultry-debeaker-250x250.gif

debeak_lg.jpg

Chicken-debeaked.jpg

^^^
That seems to be much shorter than what we debeaked our chickens to.

Thanks for the info, but my post was clearly a Napoleon Dynamite reference..

In my neck of the woods, soil drainage is done via drain tiles. It's basically a pvc pipe with a bunch of holes in it buried underground. The pipes are slanted one direction so they drain into a ditch, slough, etc.

So much beef between posters in this thread hahaha

How did you go from "Washed off with water with chlorine in it" to "injected with steroids"? You not only don't make sense, but you're jumping around all over the place. I'm not sure if it's sad or funny. I get that you have a weird/sad obsession with the US. Trust me, we aren't concerned at all with whatever country you're from.

It´s quite simple. Poultry is washed with ammonia and chlorine and were outright banned from import in the EU. Steroids are mainly used in beef and pork hence there also being import restrictions on those types of meat. You sound awfully triggered.

Last edited:
Back