US poultry washed in chlorine because lives so awful their flesh rots while still alive (Brexit)

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4742712/Why-chickens-washed-chlorine.html

Too fat to stand and their flesh rots while they're alive: The REAL reason America's 'Frankenchickens' have to be washed with chlorine as US industrial farming practices are exposed ahead of possible post-Brexit trade deal

The disturbing prospect of chlorine-washed chickens from the US going on sale in British shops in a post-Brexit trade deal last week sparked an explosive row at the heart of Government.

But beyond the politics lies the story of why American poultry needs such drastic chemical treatment – and of the horrendous conditions at the farms where they are bred and reared.

Unlike in the UK and Europe, there are no minimum space requirements for breeding chickens in the US. America also does not have any rules governing lighting levels in the sheds and, crucially, its farms have no maximum allowed level of ammonia, which indicates how much urine and faecal matter is present. This means there is no limit on how much can fester inside the sheds.

I've never heard a story about the meat industry that made me feel good.

Good on Britain for not accepting horrific American practices.

The American meat industry is one of the greatest afronts to humanity ever.

I worked on a commercial farm through high school, and did an internship in a meat processing factory in college

It was messy, but I never saw anything like this.

I grew up on a chicken farm but it was for egg production as opposed to meat production. With that being said, once the laying hens reach a certain age, their productivity and egg quality decline. At that point they are sold off with younger hens cycled in. Since laying hens aren't of the best meat quality due to the fact they are geared to produce the most eggs possible as opposed to the most/best meat possible, as well as being older, they are used for things like pot pies and processed patties, where meat quality can basically be hidden.

The farm I grew up on was in California, and there were very stringent regulations. Nothing like what is described in this article would have been tolerated on our farm. Not just because of regulations, but because the laying hens are your production mechanism, and it's in your interest for them to be well cared for and comfortable. Nowadays people are more conscious of the treatment animals receive so you have options for free range and organic etc. The way to reform these industries is with your wallets. The fact is most people can't be bothered.

There is a good reason the eu has had import restrictions on American meat and poultry outright banned.

Good thing I don't eat chicken.

On a serious note: One has to keep in mind that the featured poultry plant does not necessarily indicate the American poultry industry in general.

----

What the Feds need to do:

*Hire way more inspectors
*Carry out way more unannounced inspections.
*Levy huge fines , jail terms and even shutting down of any meat processing plant not complying with humane conditions.

What, chlorine? Oh, the horror! You mean that chemical that's in almost every children's pool in the entire modern world?

I assure you, if you eat the chicken, you'll be fine.
Chlorine doesn't bother me as I use it often for washing and sanitizing. I think what bothers people is that the meat is soo bad that it requires chlorine to santize it.

Since laying hens aren't of the best meat quality due to the fact they are geared to produce the most eggs possible as opposed to the most/best meat possible, as well as being older, they are used for things like pot pies and processed patties, where meat quality can basically be hidden.

Who doesn't love mechanically separated chicken luncheon meat?
Although, being South Aussie, I prefer fritz (and sauce).
Mmm...

more_fritz.jpg

Ingredients: "Meat including pork" aka "lips and arseholes".

While nothing here is run with as atrocious conditions at that I'm still glad I live in a place where I have good access to purchasing meat that's produced on local farms. On top of that it feels better to support farms that treat their animals well there's a distinct difference in the quality of the meat. The same goes for grown food as well of course.

As for what was discovered, there should be severe consequences for companies that have such conditions.

Who doesn't love mechanically separated chicken luncheon meat?
Although, being South Aussie, I prefer fritz (and sauce).
Mmm...

more_fritz.jpg

Ingredients: "Meat including pork" aka "lips and arseholes".

428868_335029593248972_603738879_n.jpg

Speaking of chickens, RIP to Bo Pilgrim. This guy created a shitload of jobs while being a leading chicken producer in the lower US.
TXPITpilgrim_3825.jpg

What, chlorine? Oh, the horror! You mean that chemical that's in almost every children's pool in the entire modern world?

Welp, that shuts me up. That makes ut totally acceptable for food products.

I assure you, if you eat the chicken, you'll be fine.

i was upset about the sheer amount of drugs and hormones (both of which are damaging to humans) that had to be pumped inro these birds to make them so fat that their legs can't support them AND i was upset about the the hellish lives of these crippled science experiments that have them rotting while still alive, but certainly some self-interested farmer shitposting on the internet can allay my fears. Thank you, oh wise shitposter!

Speaking of chickens, RIP to Bo Pilgrim. This guy created a shitload of jobs while being a leading chicken producer in the lower US.
TXPITpilgrim_3825.jpg

Keep your bullshit out of this thread. His companies were frequently busted for animal cruelty.

Why would you even think this was a thread for a comment that stupid? "Uh oh, the meat industry is looking bad in this thread because of their horrific practises. I better try to get people feeling good about them by tugging their heartstrings and reminding people of jobs that were created."

Fuck off.

Keep your bullshit out of this thread. His companies were frequently busted for animal abuse.

Why would you even think this was a thread for a comment that stupid? "Uh oh, the meat industry is looking bad in this thread because of their horrific practises. I better try to get people feeling good about them by tugging their heartstrings and reminding people of jobs that were created."

Fuck off.

Three cheers for the great and honorable Bo Pilgrim!

I will sacrifice a live chicken in your honor good sir.

RIP

hqdefault.jpg

He knew how to treat treat chickens as well as how to treat the ladies

pilgrim-bo2.jpg

Last edited:
Back