US Navy on track for operationally capable railgun by 2019

You could level pretty much any port city in the world inside of half an hour with one of these things, couldn't you?

I would think so. This weapon tech, considering the kinetic energy produced from the ordnance this thing fires off is almost like shooting small meteorites at your target.

When the battery technology get there it will become something a solider could hold in there hands.

Scary but fascinatingly cool.

Cool. Let's test it on the French

1000 shots per barrel is a big improvement, didn't think that was going to be capable for a long time. I'm not enough of an expert to explain the details but the energy and electromagnetic forces that shoot the projectile bend/warp the barrel so that they don't last very long

Crazy if they find a workaround

The next big question is what kind of mobile energy source they will use to power it. They need an assload of power the last I heard

I'm hyped though, railguns are the future once you get past the durability and energy requirements.

1000 shots per barrel is a big improvement, didn't think that was going to be capable for a long time. I'm not enough of an expert to explain the details but the energy and electromagnetic forces that shoot the projectile bend/warp the barrel so that they don't last very long

Crazy if they find a workaround

The next big question is what kind of mobile energy source they will use to power it. They need an assload of power the last I heard

I'm hyped though, railguns are the future once you get past the durability and energy requirements.

well keep in mind the are more then just military applications for this, i mean outside of maybe getting it down the rifle size(gauss rifle)

imagine launching space craft with a enlarged version of this..aka a mass driver

You are actually missing the major advantages to this weapon. You can store significantly more shots on a single vessel with this weapon. The majority of the projectile you fire in current weapons is the charge to launch it. Not to mention the increased destructive power and limited explodable ordinance on your ship. Huge deal.

The other advantage is that the projectile goes fast as fuck compared to missiles and thus is harder for missile defense systems to defend against

They're expecting a 80mph pitch and then we throw a 120mph fastball

I dunno at some point it feels like your spending trillions of $$ to develop weapons that have a maybe chance of stopping a $5 missile. Then it just cost another $5 and a few months of research to countermeasure whatever we just spent a trillion $ and 2032432023 years making. I have the feeling that we're building weaponry reactively instead of proactively and it would all be obsolete in a real war against a real enemy.

I just can't picture making stuff with world edge CPUs, world class engineers, etc. being the requirement to counter a dumb rocket being very realistic

Like the Simpsons episode wear they had an insect problem so they got mouses, then had a mouse problem, so they got cats, then had a cat problem so they got snakes..

what?

rods of god could do worst then that
Nukes could do worse than anything. That isn't really the point. I just find the concept a gun that fires metal bullets at such incredibly high rates of velocity and volume achieving megatonnage of kinetic force to be pretty...nuts.

Last edited:
Nukes could do worse than anything. That isn't really the point. I just find the concept a gun that fires metal bullets at such incredibly high rates of velocity and volume achieving megatonnage of kinetic force is pretty...nuts.

well no, rods of god are the spaced based weapon or Kinetic orbital strike. i guess in theory it would be more powerful then nukes

Think of the same tungsten rod being dropped from orbit and hitting a city. i wouldn't leave the radiation that a nuke would but its potential destructive power could make nukes obsolete

http://www.naturalnews.com/050890_Rod_of_God_secret_space_weapon_Tianjin_explosion.html

well no, rods of god are the spaced based weapon or Kinetic orbital strike. i guess in theory it would be more powerful then nukes

Think of the same tungsten rod being dropped from orbit and hitting a city. i wouldn't leave the radiation that a nuke would but its potential destructive power could make nukes obsolete

http://www.naturalnews.com/050890_Rod_of_God_secret_space_weapon_Tianjin_explosion.html
3-4 tons of TNT explosive equivalent is nothing compared to hydrogen bombs.

The Tsar Nuclear Bomb, for example, the most powerful nuclear device ever tested, reached ~56 kilotons of TNT explosive equivalent. Meanwhile, our current most powerful nuclear device, the B83, carries 1.2 megatons of TNT explosive equivalent. Those "Rods of God" aren't even BB gun pellets compared to a toe missile in this analogy.

3-4 tons of TNT explosive equivalent is nothing compared to hydrogen bombs.

The Tsar Nuclear Bomb, for example, the most powerful nuclear device ever tested, reached ~56 kilotons of TNT explosive equivalent. Meanwhile, or current most powerful nuclear device, the B83, carries 1.2 megatons of TNT explosive equivalent. Those "Rods of God" aren't even BB gun pellets compared to a toe missile in this analogy.

True, but in theory Kinetic orbital strike could replace nukes an also not leave radiation. but im more or less saying there is a lot of potential behind a kinetic bombardment, also i think its cheaper.

the Strategic Capabilities Office, a high-level Pentagon effort, is aimed at exploring emerging technologies with a mind to how they can be integrated quickly into existing weapons systems and platforms. Part of the rationale is to harness promising systems, weapons and technologies able to arrive in combat sooner that would be the case should they go through the normal bureaucratic acquisition process. In almost every instance, the SCO partners with one of the services to blend new weapons with current systems for the near term, Roper explained.

Part of the calculus is grounded in the notion of integrating discovery and prototyping, being able to adjust and fix in process without committing to an official requirement, Roper said.

Roper further explained that firing the HVP out of a 155m Howitzer brings certain advantages, because the weapon's muzzle breach at the end of its cannon is able to catch some of the round's propellant - making the firing safer for Soldiers.

"Its design traits were all based with dealing with extreme electromagnetic fields - that projectile could be fired out of an existing weapon system. Its whole role is to just keep the hot gas and propellant from rushing past. You dont want it eroded by the hot material," Roper explained.

The goal of the effort is to fire a "sub-caliber" round that is aerodynamic and able to fly at hypersonic speeds. We can significanly increase the range and continually improve what powder guns can do, he added.

"We've been looking at the data and are very pleased with the results we are getting back," Roper said.

One Senior Army official told Scout Warrior that firing a Hyper Velocity Projectile from a Howitzer builds upon rapid progress with targeting technology, fire-control systems and faster computer processing speeds for fire direction.

Such an ability would give ground-based mobile artillery weapons an ability to protect Soldiers from greater distances by identifying and destroying attacks much more quickly than existing Howitzer rounds can, the Senior official said.

"If you can destroy approaching enemy fire in a matter of seconds, it changes the calculus of fire support. You have really changed things," he told Scout Warrior.

Adjusting for the higher-speed round also invovles managing blast overpressure released from the muzzle when the projectile leaves the cannon; the trajectory or guidance of the round also needs to be properly managed as it exits the cannon tube through the muzzle toward the intended.

"This is not just making sure you are not damaging the tube, but retaining accuracy for the projectile based on projectile stability," he said.

Accomplishing this high-tech integration also widens the target envelope a Howitzer is able to destroy, expanding its offensive attack, ground defense and counter-air possibilities.

The senior official described the Army Howitzer as an "advanced countermeasure," therefore underscoring the added combat value of firing a round with massively increased speed and lethality.

Meanwhile, the Navy intends to arm portions of its surface fleet with Rail Gun fire power; platforms include Joint High-Speed Vessels, Destroyers and Cruisers, among others.

On the ocean, a HPV be fired against a floating target, in an effort to test the rail gun’s ability to destroy targets that are beyond-the-horizon much faster than existing long-range weapons, Navy officials said.

The rail gun uses an electromagnetic current to fire a kinetic energy warhead up to 100 miles at speeds greater than 5,000 miles an hour, a speed at least three times as fast as existing weapons.

High-Speed, Long-Distance Electromagnetic Weapons Technology

The weapon’s range, which can fire guided, high-speed projectiles more than 100 miles, makes it suitable for cruise missile defense, ballistic missile defense and various kinds of surface warfare applications.

The railgun uses electrical energy to create a magnetic field and propel a kinetic energy projectile at Mach 7.5 toward a wide range of targets, such as enemy vehicles, or cruise and ballistic missiles.

The weapon works when electrical power charges up a pulse-forming network. That pulse-forming network is made up of capacitors able to release very large amounts of energy in a very short period of time.

The weapon releases a current on the order of 3 to 5 million amps --- that’s 1,200 volts released in a ten millisecond timeframe, experts have said. That is enough to accelerate a mass of approximately 45 pounds from zero to five thousand miles per hour in one one-hundredth of a second, Navy officials added at a briefing last Spring.

Due to its ability to reach speeds of up to 5,600 miles per hour, the hypervelocity projectile is engineered as a kinetic energy warhead, meaning no explosives are necessary. The hyper velocity projectile can travel at speeds up to 2,000 meters per second, a speed which is about three times that of most existing weapons. The rate of fire is 10-rounds per minute, developers explained at last years' briefing.

Due to its ability to reach speeds of up to 5,600 miles per hour, the hypervelocity projectile is engineered as a kinetic energy warhead, meaning no explosives are necessary. The hyper velocity projectile can travel at speeds up to 2,000 meters per second, a speed which is about three times that of most existing weapons. The rate of fire is 10-rounds per minute, developers explained at last years' briefing.

A kinetic energy hypervelocity warhead also lowers the cost and the logistics burden of the weapon, they explained.

Although it has the ability to intercept cruise missiles, the hypervelocity projectile can be stored in large numbers on ships. Unlike other larger missile systems designed for similar missions, the hypervelocity projectile costs only $25,000 per round.

The railgun can draw its power from an onboard electrical system or large battery, Navy officials said. The system consists of five parts, including a launcher, energy storage system, a pulse-forming network, hypervelocity projectile and gun mount.

While the weapon is currently configured to guide the projectile against fixed or static targets using GPS technology, it is possible that in the future the rail gun could be configured to destroy moving targets as well, Navy officials have explained over the years.

Possible Rail Gun Deployment on Navy Destroyers

Also, the Navy is evaluating whether to mount its new Electromagnetic Rail Gun weapon from the high-tech DDG 1000 destroyer by the mid-2020s, service officials said.

The DDG 1000’s Integrated Power System provides a large amount of on board electricity sufficient to accommodate the weapon, Navy developers have explained.

The first of three planned DDG 1000 destroyers was christened in April of last year.

Navy leaders believe the DDG 1000 is the right ship to house the rail gun but that additional study was necessary to examine the risks.

Also, with a displacement of 15,482 tons, the DDG 1000 is 65-percent larger than existing 9,500- ton Aegis cruisers and destroyers.

The DDG 1,000 integrated power system, which includes its electric propulsion, helps generate up to 78 megawatts of on-board electrical power, something seen as key to the future when it comes to the possibility of firing a rail gun.

It is also possible that the weapon could someday be configured to fire from DDG 51 Arleigh Burke-class destroyers. Something of that size is necessary, given the technological requirements of the weapon.

For example, the Electro-magnetic gun would most likely not work as a weapon for the Navy’s Littoral Combat Ship

http://scout.com/military/warrior/A...un-Hypervelocity-Projectile-Fires-F-101455330

probably a silly question, but is possible to have the projectile accelerate in a circular path instead of a linear? That way you can control the release point and be able to send projectile in all different directions.

probably a silly question, but is possible to have the projectile accelerate in a circular path instead of a linear? That way you can control the release point and be able to send projectile in all different directions.

You know, maybe they should just focus on making sure the ship doesn't crash into non-military ships and sink. Get the basics under control before trying anything fancy.

You know, maybe they should just focus on making sure the ship doesn't crash into non-military ships and sink. Get the basics under control before trying anything fancy.

Was thinking the same thing.
Maybe develop weapons that can be fired from a ship that never leaves port and doesn't have to move, navigate or reposition itself.

I can't wait to see what we can crash this railgun into.

Back