US Homicide Rate at a 51 Year Low

luckyshot

Nazi Punks Fuck Off
Platinum Member
Reaction score
The US homicide rate in 2014, the most recent year available, was 4.5 per 100,000. The 2014 total follows a long downward trend and is the lowest homicide rate recorded since 1963 when the rate was 4.6 per 100,000. To find a lower homicide rate, we must travel back to 1957

homicide_51yr.JPG

Surprisingly, though, most Americans are unaware of this fact:

As Pew has reported in recent years, in fact, the American public is "unaware" that the homicide rate in the United States has fallen by 49 percent over the past twenty years.

https://mises.org/blog/fbi-us-homicide-rate-51-year-low

So, two questions:

1) Why have murder rates fallen so drastically in America?
2) Why is the public generally unaware of this trend?

(For the record, I know that a lot has been written and speculated about the first question. I am interested to see what people in here think, though.)

im not sure if i buy this explanation, but ive heard it claimed before, and im sure the wr will love it:

ive heard it claimed that the violent crime rate in the US dropped drastically, just about 20 years after roe v. wade. legal abortion means fewer unwanted and F'ed up babies in the world, who wont grow up to be troubled adults.

violence sells in cable news. "look at this guy 5 states away who shot his little kid." you wouldnt see shit like this reported in 1970 on the nightly news, unless it was local news.

demagogue politicians. they point out every bad thing that they can and try to pin it to their opposition.

But according to Trump, I was to believe that we had roving mobs of psychopathic killers roaming the countryside, and that's why I should forfeit my civil rights.

Are you telling me he was...full of shit?

That's still really high. It's like 1.56 here in Canada.

What about the rate of attempted murders + murders?

People survive murder attempts now more than they used to, because everyone has phones to call for help.

homicide_51yr.JPG

Surprisingly, though, most Americans are unaware of this fact:

https://mises.org/blog/fbi-us-homicide-rate-51-year-low

So, two questions:

(For the record, I know that a lot has been written and speculated about the first question. I am interested to see what people in here think, though.)
I talked to a cop from a city and he said the summer of 2016 was the deadliest summer ever. A homicide record. So I question the claim.

I talked to a cop from a city and he said the summer of 2016 was the deadliest summer ever. A homicide record. So I question the claim.

Ah rip... anecdotal evidence is not evidence

You question FBI statistics because "a guy I know said"... Par for the course.

You still believe Alex Jones about Sandy Hook, by the way? (Now that Alex Jones has admitted in court to being an "actor playing a part" and also admitted that Pizzagate was a hoax?)

Last edited:
But according to Trump, I was to believe that we had roving mobs of psychopathic killers roaming the countryside, and that's why I should forfeit my civil rights.

Are you telling me he was...full of shit?
No, he isn't full of shit, but you are.

So much emotions... i bet you were literally shaking after typing this.

Interesting thread though, let's hope the trend continues as gun education is further enhanced and widespread.

What about the rate of attempted murders + murders?

People survive murder attempts now more than they used to, because everyone has phones to call for help.
There's so many factors tbh... but i think fruitloops here in his OP is trying to simplify this down to one thing lol.

Chicago was the worst in years for 2016. See the above post.
Cool. But Chicago makes up 0.008% of the US population.

There's so many factors tbh... but i think fruitloops here in his OP is trying to simplify this down to one thing lol.
Oh, that's what you think? Cute. I bet you put a lot of effort into that.

Last edited:
Cool. But Chicago makes up 0.008% of the US population.
I know. and the cop I talked to was from another city.

So there's two cities I know that saw homicides drastically increase recently for homocides in 2016.

So I question the claim that homicides are down recently in the US.

I've seen 2016 stats for cities and it looks worse.

Maybe the cities are worse for homicides, but outside the cities homicides are down?

Back