US Government Shutdown V2 Here We Go Again...

Seems like it. The system isn't set up for there to be a smooth correction. Short term is winning out.

Yeah I guess the attitude of “what have you done for me lately” has worked to get both sides the votes they need

People need to vote these bums from their positions come election time. Seems like with every presidential election we take a few steps forward then the next guy brings us a few steps back.

What is it that people are pissed at Rand about

He's always been for tax cuts and cutting spending

EDIT. Nevermind, it's the War Room

Two shut downs back to back. Impressive even for trump.

So what next! Just go around this wheel over and over and nothing ever really gets fixed.

Eventually people will wake up to the racket, the Euro being really strong is already making people move their money to Europe, and once China floats the Yuan, then oh boy, will American learn that their infinite credit card does has a limit.

The only solution would be more growth, but at this point, the only way the US grows proportionally to the debt would be to open the immigration floodgate and start bringing in workers by the truckload, but even that will have a limit.

Yet he voted for a tax cut bill with zero spending reduction, so he is a massive hypocrite that likes to talk a lot.

it's really not that complicated, their line of thinking

'bigger government' doesn't mean literally that, it's likely referring to A) a larger social welfare network and B) more bureaucratic red tape, say a larger Executive branch....

The military, when larger, becomes one the largest employers in the US, actually teaches people hireable skills and gets people out of poverty, provides educational benefits and HC, reduces obesity, and literally forces people to earn keep. Granted as others have said, you can still do all that w/ less spending by limiting Contracting, superfluous bs projects, etc...

that being said you could attempt similar things w/ larger National Park Service spending (Dept of Int?) or an actual infrastructure plan (i.e. New Deal and the WPA/TVA, etc...) but they are republicans so that's not happening

Seems like the wrong time to work this stuff out, being at the last minute. such a shit show on all sides

It's an embarrassing failure and show of incompetence, but they carry themselves like they aren't underachievers.

The legislation funds the government through March 23
The deal includes:

• A $165 billion increase in military spending
  • A $131 billion boost to domestic program spending
  • Nearly $90 billion in funding for disaster relief efforts in Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico
  • Two years of funding for community health centers
  • Another four-year extension of the Children's Health Insurance Program, for a total of a decade
  • Funding for existing infrastructure programs related to transportation, drinking water and broadband
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/09/government-shutdown-news-house-passes-budget-deal.html

90 thousand million for TX, FL and PR on top of whatever has gone that way? Man, that's a lot of dough.

Must resist ....even if it's dangerous to the American people .

That is the Democrat position

So it seems the house freedom caucus is worried about more spending but have no problem if it goes towards the military.

On one hand they hate the idea of a larger government but on the other they don’t mind if the money is given to grow the military.

Confusing I know

quite simple really

Big government = Welfare programs, healthcare, benefits for the poor or middle class, environment = BAD.

Big government = military, cooporate tax cuts, deregulation, upward wealth distribution = GOOOOOD.

I wonder if they're ever gonna make a real budget proposal, or just keep kicking the can down the road

Eventually people will wake up to the racket, the Euro being really strong is already making people move their money to Europe, and once China floats the Yuan, then oh boy, will American learn that their infinite credit card does has a limit.

The only solution would be more growth, but at this point, the only way the US grows proportionally to the debt would be to open the immigration floodgate and start bringing in workers by the truckload, but even that will have a limit.
We should follow your country’s example I suppose. Us isn’t going anywhere. If it did the world is in for some shit becaus Russia and China will run everything.

He's harping on the debt and deficit he helped create with the Trump Tax Cut for the Rich. Why not make this grand stand during those negotiations and force spending cuts then? Why agree to blow a bigger hole in the deficit and then whine after the fact about the size of the hole?
He could have made a real difference then because all Dems were against it and he maybe could have blocked it if he brought over just one more Republican, with McCain staying in Az for the vote.

Looks like the shutdown is over pending Trump’s signature.

I wonder if they're ever gonna make a real budget proposal, or just keep kicking the can down the road

They don't pass real budgets because they want to use budget reconciliation on things other than the budget. They could have passed a budget with 50 +VP votes in the Senate but wanted the tax cuts for the rich instead. Next year they want to use reconciliation on social security and Medicare cuts.

shutdown the government for a month. u will see how many things are non essential and should be completely defunded and removed.

We should follow your country’s example I suppose. Us isn’t going anywhere. If it did the world is in for some shit becaus Russia and China will run everything.

My country example? You mean raising taxes and cutting spending when the creditors started feeling jitty about the peso? You are correct.

Back