US citizen detained during violent Vietnam protests

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I am always a little uncomfortable when we strong arm other nations into releasing out guys that break their laws. I would hate it if we complied with the Saudis if one of their princes messed up. Anyone know more about why the Vietnamese are protesting? The article does not really discuss that in depth.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-citizen-detained-during-violent-110613983.html

The US has urged the Vietnamese authorities to release one of its citizens who was among dozens of people arrested during violent protests last week.

Will Nguyen, 32, a Yale graduate who comes from Houston, Texas, was visiting Ho Chi Minh City, en route from the US to Singapore, where he was due to graduate from a master’s programme in July.

According to a statement released on Thursday on behalf of Mr Nguyen’s family and friends, he was “beaten over the head and dragged into a police truck” after joining a rare demonstration on June 9 against proposed special economic zones that have raised fears of Chinese encroachment.

A video linked to the statement allegedly shows Mr Nguyen being dragged along the street with blood streaming from his face. He is later shown standing on the back of a police pickup truck.

Its in response to china trying to open several special economic zones in vietnam

I am always a little uncomfortable when we strong arm other nations into releasing out guys that break their laws.

I generally agree. In this case though it's a matter of someone being a part of a protest. Deportation should be an adequate solution.

The Viet government just don't get it, the people are protesting because their government wants to open some shady deals with China its not like the people is against the Vietnamese nation itself.

They should take a clue the people don't want Chinese influence and the Chinese meddling in their economics, their people already have a clue whats going to happen, they don't want to fall into these dept traps.

So the Vietnamese government going by the book here trying to crush these protest will just not end well for them. The Vietnamese are nationalists and patriotic they did not just fought the French,Japanese and the Americans for nothing.

They were already at War with China in the late 70s and some skirmishes in the south China sea in the 80s Vietnamese people are not just gonna forget all that.

Time to bring out the man once again
tenor.gif

No... not...again...

OYsH6M.gif

I am always a little uncomfortable when we strong arm other nations into releasing out guys that break their laws. I would hate it if we complied with the Saudis if one of their princes messed up. Anyone know more about why the Vietnamese are protesting? The article does not really discuss that in depth.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-citizen-detained-during-violent-110613983.html

I think that whenever the government does this, and that person hasn't been indefinitely jailed, without due process, that it means the guy was a CIA operative.

the difference between an American citizen being arrested for protesting in Vietnam and a Saudi being arrested in the USA is that America has first world laws that while aren’t perfect conform far closer to an ideal set of laws that respect human rights and make for a healthy existence.

the difference between an American citizen being arrested for protesting in Vietnam and a Saudi being arrested in the USA is that America has first world laws that while aren’t perfect conform far closer to an ideal set of laws that respect human rights and make for a healthy existence.
Ya but we do it last year a Saudi prince was allowed to go home rather than face rape charges in la it makes me wonder

Back