US arrest French teenager for crossing border by accident

Does this mean Trump will build a US-Canada wall?

On the upside she surrendered to the authorities immediately and only ate cheese the entire time she was incarcerated.

3.07 per 100,000 vs 3.33 per 100,000.

Yes ours is worse, but it's not by orders of magnitude.

Jesus, we had 34 total in Australia when I googled and that's with the cutoff at .05 bac.

How is it fucked up? You crossed the border and committed a felony in their country. Isn't it the right saying we need to keep out the criminal immigrants? That's what Canada is doing with you.

But he's not Muslim, so he's OK.

I cross between Canada and the US several times a year (for decades). It's definitely tighter now on both sides than it was in the 90s, but not usually unreasonable. I'm surprised that the border patrol was this obtuse.

Hmm, while I understand that laws are laws, this seems like poor judgment for a few parties involved. First of all, her mother should have informed her that there was an open border crossing that was easy to miss, and that she should not cross it. The border protection agents should have approached her, asked her what she was doing, and when she was all sweaty and responded that she was jogging, should have turned her around with a sharp warning. The fact that she was detained in the US for 3 days and then in Canada for a week and a half seems like a foolish allocation of time and resources when a little yelling to scare her would do just fine.

Those border patrol guys probably getting paid 100k per year to detain joggers
giphy.gif

Have you ever driven down a road (or, even a big street) and not see a MPH sign for miles? Do you really expect the entire length of the Northern border to advertise that it’s a border?

Those border patrol guys probably getting paid 100k per year to detain joggers which if they put a sign up wouldn't even happen.

Yeah you expect this kind of dumb shit with TSA agents making $30-40k a year.

You'd think with how much these dudes make they would be able to act with some discretion

Yeah... not sure how she missed that sign.
Although admittedly that's after the "Peace Arch", so maybe she was arrested before that, and there doesn't seem to be any signage on the Canadian side of the "beach".
I can't believe anyone would call that a beach though.

Thing is, last year 288 people missed the sign.

Visiting a foreign country; didn't have her passport on her person.

Fuck 'em.

How is it fucked up? You crossed the border and committed a felony in their country. Isn't it the right saying we need to keep out the criminal immigrants? That's what Canada is doing with you.

Crossing the border is not a felony.

Crossing the border is not a felony.
@Kafir-kun is talking about the DUI bit, we take that more seriously up here.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-8.html#docCont

Criminality

(2) A foreign national is inadmissible on grounds of criminality for...

(b) having been convicted outside Canada of an offence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute an indictable offence under an Act of Parliament, or of two offences not arising out of a single occurrence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute offences under an Act of Parliament;

(c) committing an act outside Canada that is an offence in the place where it was committed and that, if committed in Canada, would constitute an indictable offence under an Act of Parliament; or....

Last edited:
Back