Social Urijah Faber is anti-vax wtf

From my experience I find a Dr. more than willing to discuss these topics if they are asked, a lot of people just don't though.

Also why do you believe that the overwhelming majority of experts and medical professionals believe that vaccines are a positive thing?

The best my wife and I found was a doctor who wouldn't harass us. I had one doctor start talking about villages in Africa and Autism... He first made a glib claim about "no dangers" and adjusted his argument when I called BS.

In the hospital it was even worse, with 4 different doctors/interns coming at different times to "discuss" the issues with us. The discussions were pretty much a brief primer on how vaccines are "safe and effective" and then became hostile when I discussed AEs and questioned the logic of my newborn needing Hep B shot...

As to the question of why a majority of professionals buy in to vaccines, I think it is actually simple. They were all taught that vaccines saved the world and are safe and effective. They are taught about the "scourge of measles!" and how modern medicine saved the day, which is partly true...

In addition, students are more suggestible than the public at large, due in part to their enormous investment in their training.

Besides, with all the vitriol on the pro-vax side, I don't see many students asking many questions counter to the prevailing beliefs. That is what interests me, that basic scientific questions cannot be raised without an angry hoard harassing the hell out of you.

I have run into a few intelligent posters, who at least were capable of controlling their obvious contempt, but otherwise you pretty much get what you see in this very thread.

For the record, I have found you to be respectful in our discussion and I appreciate it.

I never asked him but I certainly can, and again you just gave measles as an example. What about mumps, rubella, polio, scarlet fever, pertussis, small pox and all the other diseases. Is this something that as a society we really want to revisit again?

Measles is a good example, because most vaccine preventable diseases are similar in their presentation, both clinically and epidemiologically. But I would agree, discussion of vaccines should be done one at a time, not as just one intervention.

Of course I don't want to revisit disease outbreaks, however, I think there is middle ground between 1% of the diseased having severe reactions (or less if you use more recent data) and vaccinating hundreds of millions of people. And for the record, measles, mumps, and rubella don't scare me and shouldn't scare you. Scarlet fever is one of the dreaded diseases that a vaccine was never made for (yet it still declined in similar fashion to the others).

As for smallpox, I challenge you to provide me with one source to support that vaccination eliminated smallpox. This is the claim that really piqued my interest in the topic, and in pro-vax propaganda in general. In all the time I have been debating this topic, nobody has been able to provide data to support this oft-repeated claim. Without going into depth, it makes no sense that vaccine coverage was sufficient to do the job and there are examples of non-vaccinated populations who enjoyed similar declines to those vaccinated.

Cost benefit analysis? not sure if you're joking here. What would the cost be to quarantine schools and other public spaces. The cost of child care for children having to stay home for weeks at a time. the possible other side effects, like pneumonia, encephalitis, blindness, diarrhea, ear infections, congenital rubella syndrome.

Once we can actually get an accurate number of vaccine related AEs then we can start to make the necessary analysis. That doesn't even speak to the unknown AE's that have potential to be seen in the future.

I would like to see your citation for this as this sounds ridiculous on first reading. Here is my understanding:
http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/vaccines/understanding/pages/howwork.aspx

I will post a few sources when I get the time. Even vaccine proponents won't deny this, they will just minimize it. The reality is, science isn't quite sure why some people without antibodies don't get sick while others with antibodies do.

Why would they opt out from this?

Because they are inadvertently spreading diseases and putting the young and frail at risk.

First of all, why is this always about mortality rates as there are other complications from diseases I previously mentioned. If you believe the overwhelming majority of experts and medical professionals to be fraudulent than just say so.

Mortality simply offers a better estimate of the data (flawed as this data itself is) than other complications do.

And I don't believe that the overwhelming majority of experts are fraudulent, I simply think that most are good students, and possibly a bit narcissistic.

I'm no lawyer, I'm just a layman that likes to read a lot.

- If there was contamination and the manufacturer was found to be negligent than I'd say they are responsible
- The only other area I can see being held liable would the research department who stamped the drug safe, if someone can prove they were negligent or grossly incompetent than they might have a case

If there are any lawyers reading this, please give us your opinion.

My belief is that if a vaccine is proven to have caused harm, the manufacturer should be liable. I don't really care where the harm came from (contamination, poor vaccine design, etc.), the manufacturer is responsible for their product, period.

We seem to be spinning our wheels in this discussion, ultimately between two layman such as ourselves we have to ask what our objectives are moving forward. This is not scientific discussion but a philosophical one at it's root and I want to start at the beginning and state my position in point form:

- I am a layman in this topic, I do not have the experience, ability and most importantly the education to analyse the data concerning vaccine safety vs. disease outbreaks

- I understand the years and even decades of education and training it takes to become an expert in this field and I respect the medical professionals who have dedicated their lives to helping others

- I am also a realist and know that there are always a few who are dishonest and corrupt

- I believe that one expert, a dozen and even a hundred experts could be wrong about a topic in their field of expertise. However the closer you get to overwhelming scientific consensus the more accurate the opinion is.

- The overwhelming scientific consensus is that vaccines are safe relative to the dangers of disease outbreaks

- This opinion could still be wrong (As history has shown us)

- Only repeatable, testable data can overturn an overwhelming scientific consensus (As history has shown us)

- It is reasonable to believe the scientific consensus among the experts on this topic until such a time when data is presented that overturns it.

- layman who are not conversant with the data and do not have education and experience to dissect it should be wary of doing so until they gain such experience

- Skepticism is a great thing. The point where is crosses over into ideological cynicism is what is making complex and nuanced discussions about controversial subjects increasingly impossible

What points do you not agree with?

My belief is that if a vaccine is proven to have caused harm, the manufacturer should be liable. I don't really care where the harm came from (contamination, poor vaccine design, etc.), the manufacturer is responsible for their product, period.

Just had to throw this one in...

I agree, the plaintiff must prove causation then.

Last edited:
It literally wouldn't kill 99% of all kids in America.

The kid would have to have a very weakened immune system. Like having Leukemia or HIV. Or being severely Malnourished.

Honestly you're bugging out over an illness that the doctor would prescribe water, bed rest and an Advil to cure. Possibly being gone before 5 days time.

If I was a parent I wouldn't lose sleep over not giving my kid a measles vaccination.

Not all small children have strong immune systems. That is absolutely the point. If I had gotten measles while a small child there is a good chance it would have killed me. I almost died from the flu twice ffs.

Honest question.

If in 5 years they add another 20 vaccinations to the already growing list do you just willfully sign Ur kids up for any thing they want to put into your children??

If so where is the line drawn in the sand.

I've said it before, I'm not anti vax at all but there has to be a point in the sand where it just becomes to much stuff were putting into our kids.

We are already giving them much more than even 20 years ago. So where does one say I'll take these vaccinations but not any more. Or does one never say that??

Honest Answer:

I would because I trust the world body of medical professionals because they understand the data better than anyone else. The same way I trust the Civil Engineering community who design the tall buildings I go into and the Mechanical Engineering community who design the planes and cars that me and my children use.

Not all small children have strong immune systems. That is absolutely the point. If I had gotten measles while a small child there is a good chance it would have killed me. I almost died from the flu twice ffs.

Are you trying to get everyone on the anti vax side?

Damn bro you mean. y u so mean tho?

It's what I do

blowing_kiss_christian_bale.gif

I would because I trust the world body of medical professionals because they understand the data better than anyone else. The same way I trust the Civil Engineering community who design the tall buildings I go into and the Mechanical Engineering community who design the planes and cars that me and my children use.
You don't trust the data analysis skills of Playboy Playmates?

I heard that Dr. McCarthy had mad GLMM skills.

- I am a layman in this topic, I do not have the experience, ability and most importantly the education to analyse the data concerning vaccine safety vs. disease outbreaks

I can appreciate this, however, I do have graduate education and some working knowledge of how to read scientific research. I will admit that my expertise is not in medicine or immunology, however, I can evaluate research and understand how factors such as research design, participants, etc. influence outcomes in any given study. When in doubt, I seek out additional analysis from experts as well.

- I understand the years and even decades of education and training it takes to become an expert in this field and I respect the medical professionals who have dedicated their lives to helping others

Agreed.

What do you think of the medical professionals who speak out AGAINST vaccination? Do you respect them and their training?

- I am also a realist and know that there are always a few who are dishonest and corrupt

- I believe that one expert, a dozen and even a hundred experts could be wrong about a topic in their field of expertise. However the closer you get to overwhelming scientific consensus the more accurate the opinion is.

- The overwhelming scientific consensus is that vaccines are safe relative to the dangers of disease outbreaks

You can claim that the consensus is as you stated, however, a closer look casts some doubt. Consider one of the most studied vaccines, MMR, and what a review of relevant literature found:

"The design and reporting of safety outcomes in MMR vaccine studies, both pre- and post-marketing, are largely inadequate. The evidence of adverse events following immunisation with the MMR vaccine cannot be separated from its role in preventing the target diseases."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004407.pub3/abstract

- This opinion could still be wrong (As history has shown us)

- Only repeatable, testable data can overturn an overwhelming scientific consensus (As history has shown us)

The bulk of the research being conducted on vaccines is funded by interested parties. I don't hold high hopes that independent research can ever match the amount of research being churned out or provide an adequate counter to industry funded research.

And that doesn't even speak to the FACT that a large percentage of medical research (biased or not) turns out to be inaccurate or flat out wrong.

Lies, Damned Lies, and Medical Science

"Much of what medical researchers conclude in their studies is misleading, exaggerated, or flat-out wrong. So why are doctors

I can appreciate this, however, I do have graduate education and some working knowledge of how to read scientific research. I will admit that my expertise is not in medicine or immunology, however, I can evaluate research and understand how factors such as research design, participants, etc. influence outcomes in any given study. When in doubt, I seek out additional analysis from experts as well.

I would consider you an educated layman but a layman none the less and please don't take that as an insult. Einstein, the greatest mind in Physics was a layman in biology as well.

What do you think of the medical professionals who speak out AGAINST vaccination? Do you respect them and their training?

Of course I do, I would tell those professionals to keep doing their research and continue to publish their data for peer review. It is only the data that can swing scientific opinion. Copernicus, Newton, Pasteur, Darwin, Einstein, Bohr all went against the scientific grain and overturned long held scientific theories. If they are right than the "proof" is in their data. Until that time however, it is reasonable for layman to believe the scientific consensus is the best explanation.

You can claim that the consensus is as you stated, however, a closer look casts some doubt. Consider one of the most studied vaccines, MMR, and what a review of relevant literature found:

"The design and reporting of safety outcomes in MMR vaccine studies, both pre- and post-marketing, are largely inadequate. The evidence of adverse events following immunisation with the MMR vaccine cannot be separated from its role in preventing the target diseases."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004407.pub3/abstract

And that is for the scientist not the layman to dissect. As far a consensus, how about positions from the CDC, World Health Organization and from the:

Institute of Medicine, August 2011: Vaccines offer the promise of protection against a variety of infectious diseases. Despite much media attention and strong opinions from many quarters, vaccines remain one of the greatest tools in the public health arsenal. Certainly, some vaccines result in adverse effects that must be acknowledged. But the latest evidence shows that few adverse effects are caused by the vaccines reviewed in this report.

Please cite a recognized state, national or international health organization that will state the opposite.

The bulk of the research being conducted on vaccines is funded by interested parties. I don't hold high hopes that independent research can ever match the amount of research being churned out or provide an adequate counter to industry funded research.

And that doesn't even speak to the FACT that a large percentage of medical research (biased or not) turns out to be inaccurate or flat out wrong.

Lies, Damned Lies, and Medical Science

"Much of what medical researchers conclude in their studies is misleading, exaggerated, or flat-out wrong. So why are doctors

Of course I do, I would tell those professionals to keep doing their research and continue to publish their data for peer review. It is only the data that can swing scientific opinion. Copernicus, Newton, Pasteur, Darwin, Einstein, Bohr all went against the scientific grain and overturned long held scientific theories. If they are right than the "proof" is in their data. Until that time however, it is reasonable for layman to believe the scientific consensus is the best explanation.

Fair enough.

And that is for the scientist not the layman to dissect. As far a consensus, how about positions from the CDC, World Health Organization and from the:

Institute of Medicine, August 2011: Vaccines offer the promise of protection against a variety of infectious diseases. Despite much media attention and strong opinions from many quarters, vaccines remain one of the greatest tools in the public health arsenal. Certainly, some vaccines result in adverse effects that must be acknowledged. But the latest evidence shows that few adverse effects are caused by the vaccines reviewed in this report.

Please cite a recognized state, national or international health organization that will state the opposite.

I don't quite understand. The quote I posted clearly states an area lacking in the research, in one of the MOST researched vaccines to boot! The quote you posted, in part, makes an unsubstaniated claim, at least according to the Cochrane Review.

As for finding official organizations that state the opposite, I am not quite sure what you are looking for? Besides the last sentence (due primarily to under-reporting and inadequate research design), I would pretty much agree with your quote.

Ahh so collusion and/or incompetence in the medical research field is to blame... I have friends who are doctors and researchers, they are good people and genuinely care about their friends, family and community. A quote from my MD friend:

"The greatest argument that should convince anyone about my conviction is that I vaccinated my own son as soon as possible."

If you do ANY research into medical science and vaccines you may be shocked out what sort of conflicts exist. I mean, would you have full faith in Phillip Morris' research on the effects of smoking?

I too believe that most of these people are decent, you misunderstood my point and apparently didn't read the article. There are MANY reasons that research is found to be erroneous and bias can often be unconscious.

I can't speak to your particular friends, however, many medical professionals are also layman when it comes to vaccination and simply repeat what they are taught... at least in my experience.

Data? I'm not qualified to analyse the data and neither are you! I'm relying on the expert opinions of the overwhelming majority of those who are qualified. Just like I rely and trust the expertise of the civil engineering community every time I drive over a bridge.

Data = number of vaccine adverse events, epidemiology of diseases, etc. Pretty much basic stuff. You seem like an intelligent person, claiming ignorance doesn't cut it in my book.

Besides, you can also read research findings, such as the Cochrane Collaboration study I quoted from to supplement your understanding if you want.

Well the experts disagree with you.

And some agree...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Bart_Classen#cite_note-9

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2...r-tetyana-obukhanych-by-catherine-frompovich/

Like I said, this was never a scientific debate; it was philosophical and epistemological. I'm naturally a skeptic and if I believed the anti-vax position was true and was passionate about it, I would pursue graduate studies in biology, research, than post my findings for peer review. I don't feel this way here...

I am not sure why you continue to retreat to "I can't look at the science..." You say that you are skeptical, but then refuse to look at the evidence, instead remaining fully reliant on approved medical authorities?

"Science," to me, is simply the study of available information. There is certainly information available that allows you to make nuanced deicisions without relying blindly on the majority or consensus. I know it is uncomfortable, believe me I know, and I can't really blame you for choosing to believe the consensus I guess.

Regardless, it seems we should probably wrap this up. I don't want to come off as a jerk and I realize that I am trending that way.

It was a pleasure discussing these issues with you, I appreciate your openness to discussion without the usual vitriol.

Honest Answer:

So if in5 years time they tell u ur kid needs 50 vaccinations u just blindly agree to that.

I mean it's not like us and our parents needed all that shit. And they all lived good lives.

Like I said I'm not anti vaccination but I do question the rising number and who is becoming billionaires from all of it.

Well I didn't grow up with kids who got measles vaccinations and they all lived.

Now that I think about it I can't name one story I've heard where kids were dropping g dead in America from measles. The numbers are minuscule.

Like all doctors will prescribe, Advil, water and bed rest. I wouldnt lose sleep over not having them vaccinated for measles. Other diseases I care about but not measles

Well I didn't grow up with kids who got measles vaccinations and they all lived.

Now that I think about it I can't name one story I've heard where kids were dropping g dead in America from measles. The numbers are minuscule.

Like all doctors will prescribe, Advil, water and bed rest. I wouldnt lose sleep over not having them vaccinated for measles. Other diseases I care about but not measles

Ok but know you are advocating some Apocalypse survival of the fittest stuff. You'll get people like me who grew up frail killed. These vaccinations aren't just for the healthy and strong, but for the old and sickly as well.

Ok but know you are advocating some Apocalypse survival of the fittest stuff. You'll get people like me who grew up frail killed. These vaccinations aren't just for the healthy and strong, but for the old and sickly as well.

I get what ur saying but getting your kid vaccinated for something that legit kills no one in the 1st world is something I'd stay away from. The number of deaths is so small in America so why even bother with that particular vaccination.

I'll take my chances with measles.

Also do people really believe drug companies aren't using major influence to up the vaccination list. They sure as shit aren't doing it because they care about u.

Really impartial site there buddy. Other articles on the front page:

---------------------

-Breaking: Certain medication cause people to commit murder.

-UK media suddenly covering all the vaccine injury stories the U.S. pharma-corrupted media pretends never happened.

-Learn how to plant a high-yield secret survival garden

-Vitamin C shown to annihilate cancer. (oh for fucks sake)

--------------------

So is your trolling getting poorer or is this just another example of our resident christian preaching the gospel while lying through his teeth?

I get what ur saying but getting your kid vaccinated for something that legit kills no one in the 1st world is something I'd stay away from. The number of deaths is so small in America so why even bother with that particular vaccination.

I'll take my chances with measles.

Also do people really believe drug companies aren't using major influence to up the vaccination list. They sure as shit aren't doing it because they care about u.

Well like I said many things they vaccinate for like measles aren't typically fatal to healthy people. But they put very small children, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems at extreme risk. You are essentially advocating survival of the fittest.

Back