Uriah didn't fought smart

Dana White said it and I tsarting to think it more and more.
Uriah probably didn't wanted to really showboat.
LIke Dana said, he broke mentally. That made him do bullsh!t. And what Uriah said is close to that. Like he said he entered the octagon saying "Sh!t, here we go again"

Anyway, no matter what, his number one priority is to work on his head. The rest is not the priority, it's already pretty good

Agreed.

Even tho I really like Kelvin and think he will have at least a top10 future (WW or MW), I really thin Uriah's Head lost this fight more than Kelvin really won. It was quite obvious that Uriah fought completly different than in his TUF house bouts. In the house he was always and aggresive strike whereas in the finale he only tryed to counterpunch. Also just look at him between rounds 1 & 2, if that face doesn't say mentally broken than what does?
I really hope Uriah will get back on track and probably join Team Quest to train with Chael again. Even tho he seems to be troubled he still has great great talent.

just look at him between rounds 1 & 2, if that face doesn't say mentally broken than what does?

Whatched it again and yeah, his face is clearly not showing a lot of good things.
Easy to say when we know how the fight goes at the end, but yeah, he looked no that good.
But I noticed though, whatching his fight against Andrews again, that he didn't had a killer look between the 2 rounds either.

When Uriah stood in the center and forced the action there he was winning the fight. But then he would, seemingly intentionally, back into the cage against a guy who was out wrestling him. It is the equivalent to sticking your chin out to a good striker. I also hated seeing the hands low. Yes some really great strikers can get away with dropping their hands to bait a fighter to come in, but you do that once or twice and you make it count. He seemed to drop his hands with no intention of following it up. He also stuck his chin in the air and attempted to evade shots by pulling his head straight back. I'm not sure if all of this was due to a general lack of respect for Kelvin's striking, but against a strong striker, if he did all that ridiculous stuff, he would have been toast. I would call it a bad game plan, but I'm not sure there was a plan from what I saw. Uriah has all the tools, but now he needs someone to help him put the tools together for some meaningful use.

I don't think it was in disrespect to Kelvin.
Coming from kickboxing, he is used to avoid shots like that, and he does it too in MMA.
I don't like it though.
And I also think he was too much in a sort of sparring mood.
I don't think he knew what to do because he was facing a friend and didn't wanted to hurt him or go hard, like he was in sparring. It was weird.

I don't think it was in disrespect to Kelvin.
Coming from kickboxing, he is used to avoid shots like that, and he does it too in MMA.
I don't like it though.
And I also think he was too much in a sort of sparring mood.
I don't think he knew what to do because he was facing a friend and didn't wanted to hurt him or go hard, like he was in sparring. It was weird.

I don't buy the friend bit because he seems like genuinely nice guy and he had no problem kicking the crap out of everyone else. Besides, when he did make opportunities to strike, he threw them with conviction. I do think this was the biggest arena he ever fought in and was literally presented to the audience as a possible MW contender which is a bit to much pressure for a guy who is not only making his UFC debut, but is truly only at the beginning of his career.

There is a difference between "living with people who are on the opposite team" and "sparring everyday with the guy"
So yes, it can be a factor.
And in the house, he had Sonnen.
When I talk about the friendship, it's in the sense that he has not been able to free his mind from it. Sonnen always had the right word to have to best from Hall

I think he was waiting for Kelvin to do something and counter him with a flashy thing.
He was too much looking for a highlight finish I think.
He said after his fight against Andrews that he knew Dylan wanted to take him down so he had to let go his countering style to attack first and keep him to distance.
What I don't understand is why he didn't do it against Kelvin.
As a wrestler with good submissions, there was no doubt he was looking for the ground.

Simple answer: Chael Sonnen is a better coach, cornerman, and trainer than Tiger Schulmann.

Yes forsure.
But I don't want to say it that way because because at the end of the day, it's more Uriah's fault than his corner' fault.
You need to know you guy, but we can't say say that Uriah did awesome and his corner man was not good enough

Chael got into Uriah's head in a very negative way. Constantly telling someone how great they are can make them think they're leaps and bounds ahead of where they really are.

Uriah fought like he was already Anderson Silva reborn....a major mistake.
Hopefully he learns from this and never underestimates an opponent.

For me it's not that.
It's the opposite, Sonnen did something great. BUt it didn't last after the show

Back