upspeak/vocal fry

Well, when I saw the thumbnail, I didn't think I would walk away thinking I would rather look at her than listen to her. Expectations subverted. Is this from Rian Johnson's YouTube channel?

you come across a lot of upspeak here in san francisco, and most leftist-leaning areas in the country. very, very annoying. it makes people sound dumb, like they're unsure of themselves.

It's a young people thing. Basically everyone under 30 does it. Most under 40 do it.

You want to really avoid it (and you should), imitate old people's speech. Those over 60 hardly ever do it.

listen to the guests they tend to showcase on NPR

you'll realize what upspeak and vocal fry are
i hate to be "that guy", but I notice vocal fry and upspeak (especially) in more "liberal" females
before those terms were coined, my friends and i always used ot imitate the newly transplanted hipsters in Williamburg (late 90s) and how they spoke (upspeak)

"Ummmm, hi, yeah...i live in ......Williamsburg ??????"
every sentence sounds like they are asking a question
the vocal fry shit is how the kardashians speak and make their voices deep as they end a sentence or say a singular word/phrase

ive had to leave the room many times , bc whatever speaker (female usually), had terrible vocal fry and upspeak
i listen to NPR a lot, but will sometimes have to switch the channel bc i cant stand hearing that shit
like nails on a chalkboard to me

also noticed, that those who vocal fry and upspeak a lot constantly say "uhhhh", "ummmmm", or "ya know" in between every other word

again listen to typical NPR guests for examples of all

The hoe trying to stop Kavanaugh has some serious friage.

I have no idea what is going on here so I will just assume this is more hipster snowflake bullshit that is dumb and will be overreacted to by some angry people

THIS. I'm just going to pretend I never opened this thread

Back