Uppercuts

Uppercuts should only be used to fill rooms

Uppercuts should only be used to fill rooms

But back on topic, the uppercut is the punch I really struggled with since it was the last one we learned before I had to step away from training. Seeing how everything works from several angles really helps to show what's going on, and I like how the stance & hip action is explained. Thanks for making the videos, and I hope to see more, keep up the good work!

But back on topic, the uppercut is the punch I really struggled with since it was the last one we learned before I had to step away from training. Seeing how everything works from several angles really helps to show what's going on, and I like how the stance & hip action is explained. Thanks for making the videos, and I hope to see more, keep up the good work!

Punching in moo thigh? WUTTTT?!!

lmao did he bet on himself to win by uppercut or something?

I struggled with them for a long time, and I think a lot of people do. They're tricky at first, but my right uppercut is maybe my hardest strike now. Glad you liked the video, I think I'm gonna move onto footwork videos soon.

Glad you liked the video, I think I'm gonna move onto footwork videos soon.

I demand a comparison of the Saenchai shuffle vs. the Nong-O double switch step. :p

Have you seen Sinister's video on the lead uppercut? I think it complements your video quite well, focusing a little more on the weight transfer than you do, while you emphasize the hip extension.

Have you seen Sinister's video on the lead uppercut? I think it complements your video quite well, focusing a little more on the weight transfer than you do, while you emphasize the hip extension.

Traditional modern its all a slight difference in advantages and disadvantages, whats optimal between them isnt worth the effort to debate because youll do well with either and have very simlar results with either.

Both awesome video instructions

One thing I personally stress is that people not throw the uppercut UP, but OUT. In other words, throw it like you want to punch the other person and not yourself:

Prior to my near 5 year hiatus from competitive boxing, the uppercut, especially the right rear one, was my money punch.
Once I got your timing down, I could counter near any punch with that. And those hurt.

Now though, after I've restarted since mid-feb ..........nothing doing. Can't see when to throw it, no timing (the most important part) no nothing.
Just can't get it going.
Back then, I saw a gif of Larry Holmes knocking somebody out with it (Mike Weaver ?). Something clicked and that was that.
A day or two later, it became part of my repertoire and was my gym consensus best punch.

R.I.P my right uppercut. Thou is sorely missed.

<DCrying>

One thing I personally stress is that people not throw the uppercut UP, but OUT. In other words, throw it like you want to punch the other person and not yourself:

Yea I remember you saying that the uppercuts should be taught like the straight punches. Which went counter to a lot of ways I have had coaches explain the mechanics before.
I.e. 1-2 and then hooks and then uppercuts.
where did these opposing view points come from? Is it just lack of knowledge?

As for the punch trajectory I really prefer the way you showed me how to throw the uppercut. It felt awkward as hell while I was there but I have been drilling it and really stopped throwing the other form of uppercut and know it feels much better.

on the trajectory stand point this is important because not only is it like you said like your trying to hit the guy. Also it lets you throw the punch on multiple surfaces, I have been in plenty of places where people were complaining because there wasn't a specific bag they could use there uppercuts on because of the trajectory. Which seems silly now in hindsight.

Haha thanks for posting that clip, I specifically mentioned it in the video.

I have, it's a real gem.

Back