Update: "Teachers' Spring Continues" - Add AZ to the List with NC to Follow?

Of course the guy who came to work with you was "sharp," but the ones who stayed in teaching were doofus losers with no other options...

Lol... Lemme ask you this, if the guy who left teaching to work with you is so sharp, how come he went into teaching in the first place if that isn't what he wanted to do?

Don't get mad at me, man, you are the one who said, "2.1% out of how many thousands/millions of teachers? It's gotta be barely a drop in the bucket"

Beyond that, you are claiming that 5% of your teachers should have been fired. We currently fire 2.1% per year. So you are in effect saying (based on your extremely limited anecdotal experience) that about twice as many teachers should be fired.

OK, even if that's true, it's a long cry from the blanket statement "Can we fire bad teachers? No"-- the original claim of @cincymma79 that started us down this path...

Actually he is saying it will only take about 2.5 years to fire all the bad teachers he had.
<seedat>

Just keeping things in perspective when you tell that state that you work in horrible conditions.

It's the same reason I rag on people that go to college and major in theater or horticulture - And the surrounding states have nothing to do with your states financial situation.

Except not every state needs to have a theater or a horticulture industry. Every state has to have schools and teachers in those schools.

You're comparing jobs that don't need to exist in a given area to jobs that have to exist everywhere as access to education is a right.

I'm not sure why you continue to ignore that aspect of the conversation.

Just keeping things in perspective when you tell that state that you work in horrible conditions.

Horrible working conditions are all relative to the job . . . of course a coal miner has it worse than a teacher.

It's the same reason I rag on people that go to college and major in theater or horticulture - And the surrounding states have nothing to do with your states financial situation.

I didn't say the surrounding states had anything to do with my home state's financial situation . . .

My future daughter-in-law taught ESL in Phoenix for a few years - there's a lot of truth to this, but I wonder with the mass influx of 3rd world refugees to Europe why aren't we seeing drops in their scores?

Europe is being flooding with economic migrants and refugees that are beyond school age. Look at the pictures. It isn't student aged men invading. It is adult males invading.

And they come for welfare, not schooling.

No. They only deserve respect 9 months out of the year.
Nah, they’re teachers year round.

For some reason people get mad if teachers snort cocaine off a stripper... even in the summer.

Except not every state needs to have a theater or a horticulture industry. Every state has to have schools and teachers in those schools.

You're comparing jobs that don't need to exist in a given area to jobs that have to exist everywhere as access to education is a right.

I'm not sure why you continue to ignore that aspect of the conversation.

I'm speaking more of the fact that the vid talks about "other professionals" in the workforce and talks about having a degree and taking continuing education credits (an RTRP takes more continuing ed credits/yr and avgs around $15/hr.)

And I brought up horticulture and theater because some sap dropped 60-80k to get degrees in those fields so that they could get a job making 30k/yr. that you don't need a degree to do - not a good ROI compared to the student that chose finance or chemical engineering because he knew he'd need to support his family after college.

Let me clear something up - I think teachers deserve a lot and we should pay them more, but WV is a poor state and if you wanted to make money then you wouldn't have went into teaching or you would have applied for a job in Montana.

I didn't say the surrounding states had anything to do with my home state's financial situation . . .

Then why would you compare teacher salaries in surrounding states?:
Why see it like that instead of seeing it as raising her pay to be comparable to the surrounding states? - spamking

Canada's minorities are high achieving immigrants for the most part. The US has a massive population of minorities that grow up in broken families and ghettos, or there are the illegal aliens and their children. Basically our blacks and Mexicans drag down scores for the whole country because of their circumstances. My sister lives in Central Valley town in NorCal and the high school over half illegal aliens kids or anchor babies. It screws the whole school up. So many kids are ESL, and immigrant families don't place as much importance on scholastic achievement as natives. I do give credit to Mexican immigrants for placing a high value on family and hard work though.

Yes, Canada's minorities are much better educated, no question about that. But they're still minorities, so the problem isn't "ethnic diversity", it's education and poverty.

And, as always, the age-old explanation between high-achieving Asian immigrants vs low-achieving Latino immigrants misses the point. The "cultural focus" angle is the effect, not the cause.

What is the cause? Educational attainment upon arrival. Asian immigrants are MUCH better educated than Latinos when they arrive in the US. Naturally, their children follow the same path. Latinos have a much steeper hill to climb than Asians.

In fact, if you look at educational attainment from one generation to the next, Latinos actually improve at higher rates than Asians

Reeves-1110004.png

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/soci...hispanic-children-depends-how-you-look-at-it/

Going from low 10s to low 20s, is a 50% increase. Asians "only" improve about 10% Yes, big improvements are easier when your bottom line is really low, but starting that far at the bottom obviously has tons of barriers in itself.

Generally public workers are not allowed to strike via the negotiated contract, which is stupid in my opinion. I'll never understand why non 1% workers are more in favor of siding with big corporations who's only m.o. is their bottom line. Their workers are treated as replaceable cogs. In the long run it is bad for business to have disengaged workers but all the corporate fraudsters care about is quarterly profits. Get on team worker you fools!

It's absolutely pathetic to learn that many teachers make <$40k/year around the country. Teaching should be one of the most fundamentally strong middle class jobs where employees are well taken care of.

I would gladly pay a higher tax to take care of our teachers. It's absurd how little they're paid considering the massive impact they have on our children's(and the country's) future.

A compromise could be made to put a freeze on district employees/administration salaries while substantially increasing(like 10-15% minimum across the board) teaching salaries.

Then why would you compare teacher salaries in surrounding states?:
Why see it like that instead of seeing it as raising her pay to be comparable to the surrounding states? - spamking

You took my comparison of salaries to equal a comparison of state financial status?

Not what it was intended to be . . .

Teachers in Oklahoma are regularly leaving the state to continue their teaching careers at a high pay rate in the surrounding states . . . mainly Texas. So, I mentioned comparing teacher salaries of surrounding states. Which is regularly done whenever this issue rears it's ugly head every 5-10 years.

Nah, they’re teachers year round.

For some reason people get mad if teachers snort cocaine off a stripper... even in the summer.
Not me. Strippers need learning too

28577477_1798951126802973_5402951445400852261_n.jpg

Update: THIS IS HOW SHIT GETS DONE

Oklahoma Teachers' Union Sets Strike Date for April 2 After Teacher Outcry

The Oklahoma Education Association announced on Tuesday night that schools would shut down across the state if the state legislature does not pass a $10,000 pay raise for teachers and increased funding for schools by April 23.

But that announcement sparked outcry among Oklahoma teachers, who called for a much earlier strike date of April 2. The teachers said April 23 was too late and wouldn't be as effective as striking before state testing dates. Other teachers have floated a March 26 strike date, which is the Monday after spring break. Union leaders said they wanted to give the legislature time to pass a bill that addresses their issues and that superintendents across the state supported the April 23 date.

Update, 3/7, 5:30 pm: Wednesday afternoon, OEA president Alicia Priest posted a video messageacknowledging the frustration and anger of teachers across the state. She said the union has set a new deadline for the state legislature to pass a bill with a significant teacher pay raise and increased education funding—April 1. If the legislature does not pass one, OEA will call for a statewide schools shutdown beginning April 2.
http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/teac...ion_calls_for_strike.html?cmp=eml-contshr-shr

Let's GO!!!

Last edited:
as someone who lives and works in wv im very happy for the teachers. hopefully this can give a little spark to the education system around here.

the Oklahoma strike is on now despite some recent legislation.

can anyone from Oklahoma give a local perspective?

Update:
Oklahoma teachers rallied at the state Capitol Tuesday [April 10] on the seventh day of their walkout as classes remained canceled in the state's largest school districts.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Oklahoma teachers are paid almost $20,000 less than the national average salary for teachers.

Fallin recently approved a $6,100 pay raise for teachers, but Oklahoma teachers said this is not enough. They are requesting a $10,000 pay raise over three years.

A group of teachers marched over 100 miles from Tulsa to Oklahoma City, where the state capitol is. They are asking the Oklahoma Legislature to provide $50 million more in funding and to repeal a capital gains tax exemption. They are also asking Gov. Mary Fallin to veto a lodging tax repeal bill, which would eliminate $42 million in funding, according to the Oklahoma Education Association, the state’s largest union.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/oklahoma-teachers-rally-capitol-walkout-enters-7th-day/story?id=54374538

Update:
On Wednesday, Arizona teachers are staging a statewide "walk-in," demanding a boost in pay and more funding for schools overall.

The social-media based movement grew quickly last month. Arizona teachers are among the lowest paid in the country, according to federal data. Average salaries last year were actually $8,000-$9,000 less than 1990 salaries, when adjusted for inflation.

These "walk-ins" are not yet "walk-outs," though organizers have indicated that could be looming possibility. For now, teachers and supporters "walk-in" by coming together in front of schools before class to protest low pay and school funding shortfalls. The group then walks into school together in a show of unity.

Arizona teachers are demanding a 20 percent raise across the board.

Last edited:
"fiscal responsibility" aint so easy when you cant run daddy governments infinite credit card and you actually need to balance your budgets.

According to the National Education Association, a group representing public school teachers nationwide, the average teacher salary in the United States decreased by four percent from 2008‒09 to 2017‒18, after inflation adjustment.

A teachers’ group in North Carolina has called for a march on the state capitol on May 16. At the same time, legislatures for states such as South Dakota and Alabama have recently voted to increase teacher pay, possibly heading off protests.

Walkouts crossed a political divide when they spread to Colorado, where Democrats control the governorship and lower house and Republicans hold the senate. Other states with mixed political control and relatively low teacher pay include New Mexico and Nevada.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...akers-to-find-money-for-schools-idUSKBN1I23J8

Like seeing the wins for teachers unions here. Hoping another effect is that other underpaid states give them some moderate raises to avoid the striking in the first place

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back