Update: "Teachers' Spring Continues" - Add AZ to the List with NC to Follow?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by luckyshot, Mar 1, 2018.

1. phipps66

phipps66 Purple Belt

Noo fiscal conservatives must very torn on this. On one hand it has siphoned funding away from the poor, but on the other hand a public union had a positive outcome.

JohnnySagebrush likes this.
  2. IGIT

IGIT Black Belt

hi phipps66,

its a tough situation.

teachers in West Virginia are so grossly underpaid, that they'll be the ones needing the very Medicaid that's been cut when they retire.

i don't know the answer. its a Southern red state. i figure the Federal Government will have to just siphon off more money from California and New Jersey to fund these kinds of backward places.

- IGIT

3. cooks1

cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are

I hope I am wrong, but I fear this is going to end up being one of the great all time backfires in history.

I bet within a year one of these 'deputized teachers' merks a kid or kids in school.

4. IGIT

IGIT Black Belt

hio phipps66,

i doubt that. at least, i doubt that's the case in West Virginia. public support for the teachers was pretty widespread.

- IGIT

phipps66 likes this.
  5. phipps66

phipps66 Purple Belt

I think you and I could find a lot of common ground. It is a super hard situation. I also don't know the answer. But since I live in CT, I imagine the feds will find a way to make me pay for it. Same as folks in NJ and CA.

6. PainIsLIfe

PainIsLIfe Gold Belt

I see (I think) that we have the same reservations about the cuts.

FTR- as a true "fiscal conservative" I'm not against raising taxes. I'm against carrying perpetual debt that gets passed on to our kids and grand kids.

7. Farmer Br0wn

Farmer Br0wn Farmer Br0wn belt

These same sorts of blood-in-the-streets scenarios were also claimed by the over-anxious when concealed carry first became common in the United States. It never happened.

Also, keep in mind that you guaranteed that Donald Trump would drop out of the primary election before the Iowa caucus, and we're currently 15 months into his reign as President. Perhaps you would be willing to concede that people don't have the ability to actually predict the future.

8. spamking

spamking Proud Okie/Type 01 FFL Dealer

I'll pay for my wife's . . . it'll help her manage all of those rowdy 3rd graders.

PainIsLIfe likes this.
  9. spamking

Seriously? Many teachers are seen as glorified baby-sitters who deal with problem kids who disrupt a classroom and don't get any support from parents. Most have had their ability to properly discipline kids removed by said parents.

You should tell this to some teachers in larger inner-city schools . . . I'm sure they'd just suck it up and move on.

Interesting comparison based on days worked . . .

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    luckyshot likes this.
  10. irish_thug

irish_thug Steel Belt

No. They only deserve respect 9 months out of the year.

11. cooks1

cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are

It was a while ago I admit, but if I am not mistaken, a lot of the CC laws changed in the mid-late 1980's. And in the following 5-7 years the annual deaths by handgun went up north of 70%. I would not call that insignificant.

As far as my Trump prognostications, I admit I was wrong, and I have a sig bet that I am paying off for 4 years as a result. And I will admit when I am wrong in the future.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  12. PainIsLIfe

PainIsLIfe Gold Belt

Oh, so they don't arrest criminals on a daily bases; Climb exposed scaffolding in the elements; Work in dirty dusty conditions; Crawl in a hole to dig coal - this is WV; face threat of termination by their employer, face the prospect of being laid off, etc...

Yes, they deal with unruly kids and some unsupportive parents; that's not exactly considered horrible working conditions to the rest of us.

I'm all for beating the little shits when they get out of line and offered my oldest sons teacher permission any time she wanted. She said they couldn't do that, so I asked if I could take him home (I lived 2 mins from the school) to whip him and bring him back and you'd have thought I had shot the president by the look on her face.

I know everything the guy is saying, but what I'm really getting is 'my wife knew she was going to be underpaid in this profession and went into it regardless so now we expect you to pay more taxes so that she can make more money'.

Exception likes this.
  13. IGIT

IGIT Black Belt

hi there PainIsLife,

i think their solution - cutting Medicaid - is going to be a problem, and i think folks are burying the lead.

this is a poor state, with a low population.

its taxes aren't really all that low, but they are not high enough to sustain the wishes of its state residents. i'm not sure what is to be done.

- IGIT

phipps66 and PainIsLIfe like this.
  14. spamking

I'm not sure what this has to do with my reply . . . I never said other folks didn't work in horrible conditions. I was simply pointing out that many teachers do in fact work in some horrible settings.

That's only part of their problem . . . but I believe you know that.

And her reaction is part of the problem . . . I remember having problem kids back when I was in school, but they often got their butt whipped by the principal and that straightened them out for quite a while.

Why see it like that instead of seeing it as raising her pay to be comparable to the surrounding states?

15. JudoThrowFiasco

JudoThrowFiasco Charming Quark Platinum Member

So the tax payers of the state are the "evil owners of the means of production" in these cases?

16. PainIsLIfe

PainIsLIfe Gold Belt

Just keeping things in perspective when you tell that state that you work in horrible conditions.

It's the same reason I rag on people that go to college and major in theater or horticulture - And the surrounding states have nothing to do with your states financial situation.

17. lifelessheap

lifelessheap Silver Belt

A bunch of teachers in my high school had summer jobs. There is just so much time off for a teacher. All the time off is a major factor for many teachers. My cousin is a 5th grade teacher in Los Angeles. He played the game right and got all the degrees and certifications to maximize his pay. He makes over 100k and gets to travel and vacation CONSTANTLY because all the time off. Furthermore, his job is a fucking cake walk. He chills with kids and teaches them the same shit every year.

Is he a hero? lol.

18. Gutter Chris

Gutter Chris Chiropteran Enthusiast

Is there a history of teachers murdering students with guns now right this second ?

19. lifelessheap

lifelessheap Silver Belt

Canada's minorities are high achieving immigrants for the most part. The US has a massive population of minorities that grow up in broken families and ghettos, or there are the illegal aliens and their children. Basically our blacks and Mexicans drag down scores for the whole country because of their circumstances. My sister lives in Central Valley town in NorCal and the high school over half illegal aliens kids or anchor babies. It screws the whole school up. So many kids are ESL, and immigrant families don't place as much importance on scholastic achievement as natives. I do give credit to Mexican immigrants for placing a high value on family and hard work though.

20. PainIsLIfe

PainIsLIfe Gold Belt

My future daughter-in-law taught ESL in Phoenix for a few years - there's a lot of truth to this, but I wonder with the mass influx of 3rd world refugees to Europe why aren't we seeing drops in their scores?