Update: Meltzer estimates PPV buys for UFC 225 at 250k

started by the one and only.. UL

who said they will be sold by 2017
Can confirm this.

UL was doing the whole "Fertittas conned WME" before Toner/Dozer was even a thing.

UFC early numbers are almost always higher than Meltzers.
Until they have to give the real numbers & then they are exact or pretty close.

Its still early so it could go up a bit (or down)

Final numbers are about 6 weeks away.
So funny how people jump on these early claims as if they're gospel. It's been known for well over a decade that numbers take a couple of months. I suppose a lot of people don't keep up with it though.

Sounds once again like the Fertittas got out at the right time.

So funny how people jump on these early claims as if they're gospel. It's been known for well over a decade that numbers take a couple of months. I suppose a lot of people don't keep up with it though.

If an early number fits the posters agenda then its real
Same way with AC reports & same way people ignore UFC is worth much more now than it was sold for

I'm starting to think that maybe Raging Al is on to something. The Ferttitas kept Dana in check imo and made ALL of the decisions for the product.

Is it coincidence that the moment the Fertittas sold the UFC that it has been in a downward spiral ever since?.....both in numbers and quality and decision-making?

In marketing they have something called "psychological pricing". When you walk into a store and you see something priced for $3.99......your brain thinks "oh, its only 3 bucks" when in reality its 4 bucks. You might think you are impervious to this way of thinking but I assure you, everyone is affected by it including me.

Anyone who can afford $54.99..... more than likey will spend the extra 10 bucks to get it in HD (why wouldnt you not want high def?) .....so instead of not being greedy and keeping the price at $59.99.....we get a "dana" decision to bump it up an extra 5 bucks.........($64.99)

nobody is paying that much, especially when you have to option of very low quality....but free.

To a billionaire, 5 dollars is like a penny to us. He doesn't get it.

Dana has no formal education.......he doesnt understand things like psychological pricing and other marketing tactics. His philosophy is " its only 5 dollars goof!"

People say that dana is the best promoter in the business.....but is he tho? Or does he just have a couple of good matchmakers, a bunch of phone numbers.....and is barely keeping his head above water,.... just enough until his 5 yr contract runs out?

I assure you WME wont reup his contract (due to be finalized in 3 yrs), and I think Dana knows this, which doesnt help the problem.....they probably want to get rid of him now but Dana has them in such a financial hole that they would have to buy out his contract which would cost them a small fortune.

I know there are alot of Dana fans out there and i'm one of them too but you cant deny the facts.

Raising the ppv price by 5 dollars is a Dana move.....not a Fertitta move. If he was smart....he would lower the price to $49.99 (for high def) and they would have tripled the buys.

I would have bought it. I'm serious....that $15 dollars prevented my from buying it.

But unfortunately Dana will never go backwards..........quite the opposite. Expect $69.99 and $74.99 soon.....and will be even FURTHER less buys.

Dana doesn't make the PPV price decisions

250k buys is still pretty profitable and let's be honest. CM Punks "Drawing power" was grossly overrated. He was nowhere close to being the level of stardom that Lesnar was and the interest in him seemed to die out after the one sided ass whooping against Gall. Romero barely speaks a lick of english, Robert doesn't promote his fights for shit and is still relatively new to the scene in Australia (he didn't become notable until his first fight against Romero). RDA and Covington were the co-main and colby is still unknown to main stream people and so is RDA. Most casuals barely know about anyone in the main / co-main. 250-300k is very solid IMO. Anyone who thought this was doing 500+ is silly lol

You literally have ZERO clue who people bought the PPV for but im telling you what the majority of people watched for and that waa to watch the co and main events. I assure you nobody gave two fucks about CM punk this time around considering the first PPV he was on sold 500k. use your head moron.

and what does Conor smacking Nates hand make him tough? lmaooo and please tell me what happen later in the week to Conor? he lost the 2nd fight too but it is what it is. conor is conor and because of all his hype he will always have rumors that swirl around him. im gonna assume he is your favorite fighter because you are cucking him realllllyyyyy hard.

not sure why you decided to hate on colby so hard. guy is just out here trying to get people to pay attention to him which 95% of the roster doesnt do. his style doesnt appeal to most but ill tell you what, the community is tuning in because they wanna see him get his ass kicked and when he continues to win fights it will keep putting him in the spotlight.

Not even going to acknowledge the fact that CM Punk was on the card? Say what you want about his fighting ability but the guy has been on PPV for years. 130K for Yoel and Robert, plus some buys for Punk leave barely anything for Colby's title fight.

McGregor damn near broke Nate's hand when Nate tried to put his hand in his face, he stomped the shit out of an Irish mob connected guy in Dublin and he was ready to engage in a full blown gang fight with Khabib's main crew if they would have crossed paths at Barclay's.

When Paulie Malignaggi tried to get in Conor's face at the Floyd press tour, Conor got right back in his grill and refused to back down....

When Usman did the same thing to Colby, all Colby did was keep his mouth shut and look down at his phone the entire time. Usman was literally trying to set up a fight with Colby in their hometown and Colby just stood there and said nothing.

It's easy to bash people on the internet, literally anybody can do it...once Colby gets confronted by other fighters outside the ring, the guy tucks tail.

Like I said, we won't know until his next few fights whether or not he's a draw- but with his lack of authenticity, unoriginality and lack of entertainment value, it's doubtful

Last edited:
If an early number fits the posters agenda then its real
Same way with AC reports & same way people ignore UFC is worth much more now than it was sold for

Yep. if that number was 800k the same ones taking it as gospel would say no way you have real numbers two days after the event, its bullshit. But they were really low numbers so you see how many people in here took it as fact.

250k is what I figured, knew Punk wasnt drawing anywhere close to what he did the first time after that performance.

Yep. if that number was 800k the same ones taking it as gospel would say no way you have real numbers two days after the event, its bullshit. But they were really low numbers so you see how many people in here took it as fact.

250k is what I figured, knew Punk wasnt drawing anywhere close to what he did the first time after that performance.
This x1000

UFC didn't spend that much money advertising UFC 225 that's how I know they weren't expecting a ton of buys from this card. I watch Fox and on demand all the time and i didn't see many adverts for 225. I predicted 325k anyways lol

You literally have ZERO clue who people bought the PPV for but im telling you what the majority of people watched for and that waa to watch the co and main events. I assure you nobody gave two fucks about CM punk this time around considering the first PPV he was on sold 700k. use your head moron.

and what does Conor smacking Nates hand make him tough? lmaooo and please tell me what happen later in the week to Conor? he lost the 2nd fight too but it is what it is. conor is conor and because of all his hype he will always have rumors that swirl around him. im gonna assume he is your favorite fighter because you are cucking him realllllyyyyy hard.

not sure why you decided to hate on colby so hard. guy is just out here trying to get people to pay attention to him which 95% of the roster doesnt do. his style doesnt appeal to most but ill tell you what, the community is tuning in because they wanna see him get his ass kicked and when he continues to win fights it will keep putting him in the spotlight.
His first fight drew 450k, which was about 150k from Stipes average of 300k. He obviously lost a ton of drawing power after the Gall fight. I figured he would still be good for a extra 100k buys but I was wrong.
http://mmapayout.com/2016/09/ufc-203-ppv-buys-estimated-between-425k-475k/

"card quality" just impacts PPV buys at the margins.

seems pretty clear that there are a few big PPV stars (Conor, RR, GSP, Brock) and the occasional "special event" (e.g. Jones vs DC) that can drive big PPV numbers.

the rest of the cards are all about marginal differences. e.g. 150k vs 250k

the problem for the UFC is that all of those PPV stars are, at best, semi-retired.

IMO - the initial rise of the modern UFC post TUF1 was about access (Spike, everybody getting DVRs), social connections (UFC was a hip new thing) and social acceptance.

The explosive growth was driven by more and more people being exposed to the sport that was easier and easier to access.

What we learned is that most people just don't care about MMA very much. Once the novelty wore off, most fans were casuals who watch somewhere between rarely and never.

Occasionally stars like Conor or RR will come along who drive a lot of attention from outside the core fanbase. They are difficult to predict or sustain.

The good news is that the core MMA fanbase looks like it can support a decent sized sport. ESPN obviously thinks so. 12 PPVs a year? that is much less clear

You literally have ZERO clue who people bought the PPV for but im telling you what the majority of people watched for and that waa to watch the co and main events. I assure you nobody gave two fucks about CM punk this time around considering the first PPV he was on sold 500k. use your head moron.

Quit speaking common sense to a forum that lacks any lol. CM Punk doesn't even have an official FB page for crying out loud. His "drawing power" was overrated to begin with and the first card had 2 heavyweight fights as main/co-main with veterans on there from different countries.

how did Conor lose the 2nd fight? i'll wait i know you won't answer

Good. Now it's proved CM Punk doesn't need to be in any card anymore.

But really, bad. Those numbers are insanely low for such a quality card.

UFC does not live & die by PPV anymore

That TV deal is a serious money spinner, especially when fighters dont get a penny from it.

Any estimates on how much profit they actually make from PPVs?

It can't be near how much they will get from the TV deal...

That TV deal is a serious money spinner, especially when fighters dont get a penny from it.

Any estimates on how much profit they actually make from PPVs?

It can't be near how much they will get from the TV deal...

Obviously it varies
But it is about 25% of total revenue

Obviously it varies
But it is about 25% of total revenue
It's not long before it goes right, sell off their premium events to a broadcaster or streaming service..

Maybe at the next cycle? Just divided it all up into packages, tiers of events and sell to the highest bidders.

I imagine alot of resources go into PPV promotion as there seems to be a good corilation between hype/advertisements and ppv numbers which are by their nature irratic, TV money stays the same.

Back