Update: "Teachers' Spring Continues" - Add AZ to the List with NC to Follow?

I don't disagree, I just don't understand how you go into a field knowing the pay range and then act offended by the pay.

FTR, my soon to be daughter in law is a teacher. She researched salaries in different areas of the country and submitted resumes accordingly.

It's not just the pay, they didn't get a raise for over 5 years. And their healthcare cost rose at an increased due to action of the government.

So even if you want to say people going into the profession of teaching should understand it's never going to be overly lucrative, in no way would that understanding reasonably include an expectation that have have no raises for a period of 5 years. Even the guy saying hello to you at Wal-Mart is going to get a raise over a 5 year period.

And it isn't as if they are suddenly asking for their job to become a money maker. They are only asking for an increase that makes continuing in their job possible. 5% looks big, but it's only that big because they haven't been offering incremental increases over time.

And to reiterate it's a job that needs to get done. You can't not have people teaching in WV. They need public school teachers to ensure the children of that state have a chance at a future. Skimping on that area so severely that all of the teachers in the state strike is reprehensible.

You can say this about any job or career, ever. I don’t think it is a very substantial argument.

No, it certainly is not when talking about a job that has a substantial positive effect on society.

In what job would you really expect people to accept not getting a raise over the past 5 years?

So evidently the WV state legislation wanted to pass a 4% increase, accidentally passed the 5% bill, and now wants to repeal and replace the 5% bill .

Ladies and gentlemen, the GOP governing style in it's finest form

I said teachers deserve considerably more than $20/hr.

So if a teacher works 9 months a year at $30/hr that's roughly 43K.
Ok so 4x minimum wage with some rounding error. So since I make about 3 times a teacher does now that would make me 90 an hour or 190. So still let’s get going on this

It's not just the pay, they didn't get a raise for over 5 years. And their healthcare cost rose at an increased due to action of the government.

So even if you want to say people going into the profession of teaching should understand it's never going to be overly lucrative, in no way would that understanding reasonably include an expectation that have have no raises for a period of 5 years. Even the guy saying hello to you at Wal-Mart is going to get a raise over a 5 year period.

And it isn't as if they are suddenly asking for their job to become a money maker. They are only asking for an increase that makes continuing in their job possible. 5% looks big, but it's only that big because they haven't been offering incremental increases over time.

And to reiterate it's a job that needs to get done. You can't not have people teaching in WV. They need public school teachers to ensure the children of that state have a chance at a future. Skimping on that area so severely that all of the teachers in the state strike is reprehensible.

I get that, but yes I had a job in the 90s where there was a wage freeze for 5 yrs and insurance rates went up. The real kicker was min wage went up as well which made the no raise worse as the price of everything went up a little.

It's seems that public jobs are the only ones were people think the yearly raise in guaranteed.

Last edited:
So evidently the WV state legislation wanted to pass a 4% increase, accidentally passed the 5% bill, and now wants to repeal and replace the 5% bill .

Ladies and gentlemen, the GOP governing style in it's finest form

Pretty sure that the WV legislature is controlled by democrats.

Cool. Then since they deserve say 60 for nine months of work I should be getting around 250 as my base before bonuses working from that number. Let’s get on it

I don't understand this reasoning. In your eyes, for someone else to deserve a raise, you have to have one too?

If you believe you deserve one as well, then I guess you could talk to your boss about it. If you feel strongly enough about it, you could always go on strike.

It's probably closer to 50k if counted by hrs worked.

I know a 3rd grade teacher personally. According to her, she puts in a 6 1/2 hour, on site school day and then, at most, 1 hour of after school work. Roughly 180 days a year. Do the math.

(I'm sure middle and high school teachers put in additional prep and grading hours per day.)

I don't understand this reasoning. In your eyes, for someone else to deserve a raise, you have to have one too?

If you believe you deserve one as well, then I guess you could talk to your boss about it. If you feel strongly enough about it, you could always go on strike.
anybody can teach. anyone. so they need to make a decent living but not much more than the equivalent of 40k here. there is a map of how much a dollar is worth across the country, adjust it to that. you want more than that work 12 months out of the year and actually compete with other countries, if not i could hire any idiot that can read to fill in for just about any teacher up to high school. after that you have to be able to read and repeat what you're told. outside of the sht they have to put up with it's a cake job. can you perhaps point to a person now who couldn't do pe, study hall, home econ, etc... all the way up to graduation

anybody can teach. anyone. so they need to make a decent living but not much more than the equivalent of 40k here. there is a map of how much a dollar is worth across the country, adjust it to that. you want more than that work 12 months out of the year and actually compete with other countries, if not i could hire any idiot that can read to fill in for just about any teacher up to high school. after that you have to be able to read and repeat what you're told. outside of the sht they have to put up with it's a cake job. can you perhaps point to a person now who couldn't do pe, study hall, home econ, etc... all the way up to graduation

You're right that anyone can teach, but not everyone can teach well. I think where we difder, is that I believe there is a lot more that goes into being a competent teacher than you may think. Not to mention, the influence a great teacher can have on a youth is significant.

Then why pick a field where you know the pay isn't what you want?

Perhaps they thought their pay would increase commensurate to other fields, and that their health insurance would be reasonably affordable?

They are asking for a 5 percent raise after years without. They aren’t asking to be reimbursed like a physician or hedge fund manager.

I know a 3rd grade teacher personally. According to her, she puts in a 6 1/2 hour, on site school day and then, at most, 1 hour of after school work. Roughly 180 days a year. Do the math.

(I'm sure middle and high school teachers put in additional prep and grading hours per day.)

I'm sure it's different by state, but school is 7 hrs long here - all professionals get a working lunch - 180 days during the year plus 7-8 weeks of work before and after the school year ends.

So 1600-1700 hrs = 48k-52k @ $30

Perhaps they thought their pay would increase commensurate to other fields, and that their health insurance would be reasonably affordable?

They are asking for a 5 percent raise after years without. They aren’t asking to be reimbursed like a physician or hedge fund manager.

I get it, but maybe they should have applied for jobs in states with better economies.

Back