Update: "Teachers' Spring Continues" - Add AZ to the List with NC to Follow?

Yet you support the party that has killed and keeps killing unions? That is about to level public unions altogether in an upcoming Supreme Court case?
what the hell does a teacher and the union have to do with each other?

you can be thankful for teachers without liking that they are controlled by the TU.

didn't it say they make $45,000 a year. thats a lot of money for WV. And thats 9 months work. Shit a lot of medical professionals make that in a full year.

For a position that requires so much secondary education and that has so much responsibility some posters have laughably low wage ideas.

You know what other jobs require secondary education and lots of responsibility, but come with shittier pay?

Social Workers. But again, people know that when they opt for the field.

Last edited:
Union leaders have reached a deal with the governor.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/27/us/west-virginia-teachers-strike/index.html

But these heroes are not being bought off easily. Holding the line until the fucking state senate passes the bill AND their healthcare gets fixed!
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/01/us/west-virginia-teachers-strike/index.html

Good on 'em!

This is a reminder of the power labor has when people stand up and stand together.

MANY more people need to start remembering this.

Here in Michigan, they passed the "right to work" number one bullshit to undercut unions.

Republicans really are evil, anyone not at least a millionaire who votes for them is dumber than a bag of gravel.

My mom is a teacher in Wisconsin, and they should have done this when there union was under attack. Instead they all bent over, took it in the ass, and asked for more. Now she hates her job and is retiring after this year, and many qualified new teachers are heading over into Minnesota.

One thing I know is that teachers need more money to not teach our kids and we shouldnt test kids to see if they’re learning. I try and imagine other jobs where you can’t tell how good of a job employees do by measuring their results. Like a the worlds greatest surgeon but you can’t look at his surgeries. Or the worlds greatest baseball Player but you can’t look at his stats. Shit I need to try this at work. I’ll masturbate and nap all day. When someone looks at my work I’ll say you can’t judge me by that

1- Let's start with the fact that work stoppages by public unions is illegal in WV. It's in the contract they sign.

2- Teachers don't work under shitty conditions, unless you count dealing with unruly teens - again part of the job they signed up for.

3-Break teacher pay down by days worked and you'll find that teachers are more than well compensated - again in a field they signed up for.

4-You might also find out that WV is a state that is ranked 42 for it's fiscal condition - they started the year projecting an 11m budget shortfall before they agreed on this 5% raise - which is why the state senate said they didn't know if they could pay for it.

5-Have you ever asked your boss for a raise at a time the company was loosing money? I didn't think so. The teachers went on strike right after they announced a 2% raise starting in July. Hey, but their money comes from tax payers so it's ok right? Pfft.

6- I pointed it out once, but median household income for the state is 42k (that's 2 workers in most cases), their teachers make more than that and work 3 months less per year than the people paying for their salary.

Again, more power to them, but don't expect me to think it's a noble strike.

Do teachers only work that little in the US? That sounds odd as in Sweden, where we have decent amounts of paid vacation days, the teachers work longer weeks to cover up the fewer days they work during the summer (they aren't off as long as the students though,as there's a lot more work to the job than just directly teaching the students). so I would have expected the US to have some compensation hours for that as well as people generally seem to have downright poor amounts of paid vacation days there.

Do teachers only work that little in the US? That sounds odd as in Sweden, where we have decent amounts of paid vacation days, the teachers work longer weeks to cover up the fewer days they work during the summer (they aren't off as long as the students though,as there's a lot more work to the job than just directly teaching the students). so I would have expected the US to have some compensation hours for that as well as people generally seem to have downright poor amounts of paid vacation days there.

The teachers aren't off as long as students in the summer, but they are off for Thanksgiving, Easter, and Christmas holidays as well.

Teachers are paid over a 12 month period so they still get a check in the summer. They also typically get 12-15 sick days with pay.

Edit: our school year is generally 180 actual work days

Switch to 12 months a year school. Not sure why we don't do this already.

Also, WV? LOL. I hear banjos.

You know what other jobs require secondary education and lots of responsibility, but come with shittier pay?

Social Workers. But again, people know that when they opt for the field.

Them also getting paid far to little for the jobs is also shitty. It's ineffective as you get less from people if you pay them poorly. You also are going to encourage less people to opt in to that field for the same reason.

This isn't good. We're talking about jobs that need to get done, that have a marked effect on bettering society.

Social workers having shitty pay should not be an anchor on any other position, especially since social workers having shitty pay should also be rectified.

I don’t know what a decent wage in West Virginia is but teachers should make the equivalent of 40000 here

If the original minimum wage is adjusted for inflation and productivity gains it's about $20/hr ($40,000 a year for a full-time employee).

$20/hr should be the starting salary of a Valvoline oil change tech straight out of high school. A teacher should make considerably more.

Them also getting paid far to little for the jobs is also shitty. It's ineffective as you get less from people if you pay them poorly. You also are going to encourage less people to opt in to that field for the same reason.

This isn't good. We're talking about jobs that need to get done, that have a marked effect on bettering society.

Social workers having shitty pay should not be an anchor on any other position, especially since social workers having shitty pay should also be rectified.

I don't disagree, I just don't understand how you go into a field knowing the pay range and then act offended by the pay.

FTR, my soon to be daughter in law is a teacher. She researched salaries in different areas of the country and submitted resumes accordingly.

If the original minimum wage is adjusted for inflation and productivity gains it's about $20/hr ($40,000 a year for a full-time employee).

$20/hr should be the starting salary of a Valvoline oil change tech straight out of high school. A teacher should make considerably more.

Maybe, but avg median household income in WV is 36k (2 workers) and that's who is paying the teachers salary.

Here in Michigan, they passed the "right to work" number one bullshit to undercut unions.

Same here.

It should have been called "right to freeload" as it allows workers in union shops to be fully represented and protected by the union and gain all of the contractually achieved wages and benefits of the union - but without having to pay ANY union dues.

It's outrageous to hear guys I know who are consciously free-loading on the backs of their dues-paying co-workers bitching self-righteously about welfare recipients and elderly or unemployed refugees who get financial assistance from the US.

Maybe, but avg median household income in WV is 36k (2 workers) and that's who is paying the teachers salary.

Maybe the average West Virginian needs to get a second job so teachers can take a well-earned summer off in Cancun. lol

Cool. Then since they deserve say 60 for nine months of work I should be getting around 250 as my base before bonuses working from that number. Let’s get on it

Cool. Then since they deserve say 60 for nine months of work I should be getting around 250 as my base before bonuses working from that number. Let’s get on it

I said teachers deserve considerably more than $20/hr.

So if a teacher works 9 months a year at $30/hr that's roughly 43K.

Back