Update: "Teachers' Spring Continues" - Add AZ to the List with NC to Follow?

Are they going to pay for their training to carry a concealed weapon to?

Or does that come out of their checks..?
The moment it becomes legal for armed personnel to carry in schools in my state, I'm going to donate the funds necessary for any willing faculty member to purchase a firearm, CCW training, holsters, and even ammunition.

The private sector is more than willing to help in the effort to secure our schools.

Public sector unions should not be allowed to strike.

In many cases, the citizenry is compelled by law to use the "services" that the public sector Union "provides".

If public sector unions think that they will continue to get away with throwing temper tantrums for more money while providing the public with less and less actual service, then the upcoming Supreme Court decision should come as no surprise to anyone.

They aren't allowed to strike in WV by law.

When I was young (probably '80) the teachers in VA went on "strike" (VA teachers can't have a work stoppage either) - they came to school every day, but they didn't start til their contracted time and they left right after the bell - no extra duties.

Teachers generally do a lot of stuff that they aren't paid for - and not doing those things got the attention of the administrators and state legislators pretty quick.

The moment it becomes legal for armed personnel to carry in schools in my state, I'm going to donate the funds necessary for any willing faculty member to purchase a firearm, CCW training, holsters, and even ammunition.

The private sector is more than willing to help in the effort to secure our schools.

I'm afraid that would be money well wasted. There are teachers that should probably be in another profession and I'd question their being armed for many reasons.

If we arm teachers some kid is going to get shot pulling a spoon out of his backpack to eat his pudding.

Have you addressed your issues with your union local? A union is only as effective as its membership allows it to be.
I have and they keep doing this "pay equity" and running me around.

I'm afraid that would be money well wasted. There are teachers that should probably be in another profession and I'd question their being armed for many reasons.

If we arm teachers some kid is going to get shot pulling a spoon out of his backpack to eat his pudding.

These same "OK Corral", "blood-in-the-streets" scary stories came up when concealed carry began to get national momentum. All of these years later, the sky didn't fall on our heads, and we're all still here.

If you're only retort to the idea of securing our schools is "people aren't perfect", I'm afraid that's not a good enough reason to leave our schools unsecured.

I had a gym teacher who was a Marine Corps drill instructor during the Korean War. He was the perfect example of someone who would have been perfectly safe carrying on school property (he's currently retired, but I'm using him as a proof-of-concept).

What's your specific issue? I speak unioneese. PM me if you don't want to air it.
I've aired it before.

Biggest issue I face is I feel I'm not being paid what I am worth. There are people in my office that have been here 10+ years being paid $23-$25 an hour and can barely do their job. Meanwhile, I only get $18.07 and can do their job, my job, still back up my OLD department, and could be thrown into any courtroom when needed and the union's like "nah, we can't help you".

Twats.

Public sector unions should not be allowed to strike.

In many cases, the citizenry is compelled by law to use the "services" that the public sector Union "provides".

If public sector unions think that they will continue to get away with throwing temper tantrums for more money while providing the public with less and less actual service, then the upcoming Supreme Court decision should come as no surprise to anyone.
1. Public unions aren't "allowed" to strike... but then again, no one was "allowed" to strike at the beginning of the labor movement, either. The Founding Fathers weren't "allowed" to leave Britain, either. If the governor of the WV responded to their strike with a 5% raise, I guess they *were* allowed to strike, after all.

2. No one is compelled to use public schools. You can home school or send your kids to private schools. You are not compelled to call the fire department if your house is on fire. You are not compelled to call the cops if you are robbed. Public services are available for the public welfare, not necessarily for any individual citizen in particular. Part of living in a society.

3. The upcoming SC decision has precisely nothing to do with teachers' strikes, and if you are suggesting that it is a decision designed to "punish" labor for unruliness, then you are admitting it is an unjust decision not based on the merits of the law.

These same "OK Corral", "blood-in-the-streets" scary stories came up when concealed carry began to get national momentum. All of these years later, the sky didn't fall on our heads, and we're all still here.

If you're only retort to the idea of securing our schools is "people aren't perfect", I'm afraid that's not a good enough reason to leave our schools unsecured.

I had a gym teacher who was a Marine Corps drill instructor during the Korean War. He was the perfect example of someone who would have been perfectly safe carrying on school property (he's currently retired, but I'm using him as a proof-of-concept).

I'm not suggesting we don't secure our schools and many teachers would be very capable (Btw-MSD had an armed officer on site) - I'm just saying that as a group teachers aren't the stable reasoning people we assume they are, and getting a CCW doesn't make you qualified to start shooting at people in a crowded and confusing environment:

Random school of >1800 kids:
-You've got at least 1 male teacher in the school that wants to actually fight with the unruly kids. He's the guy that thought about becoming a police officer to flaunt his authority over others, but decided becoming a teacher was a better/safer gig. The truth is that 15-20% of the male upper classmen can take this guy 1 on 1 and if they do he's gonna pull a zimmerman.

-At least 1 grown women that wants to sleep with a 14 yr old student. I don't even know what kind of reasoning goes through their heads, but she damn sure doesn't need a gun.

-At least 10 that are old, frail, and scared of the students. This group is at risk of having their weapon taken from them or pulling it out when the kid reaches for his spoon.

If you want to put armed professionals in the school, I'm fine with that. If you want to give teachers a few hours on the range and make them super deputies - I think it's a bad idea.

Just my 2 cents

The delegates voted 99/1 in support, the senate refused to vote on the issue either Thursday or to even meet on Friday. One of the senate, Ryan ferns was arrested for dui, but should have been charged with aggravated dui for being three times the limit. He was still elected and then became a senator. He won the delegate election after his dui because his competition was shawn fluharty, who is a punk ass lawyer and now the delegate. I have met both of these goofs. Ferns came from a rich ass family, and I will give fluharty credit, he came from a fucked up family where his dad killed his mom, then set his house on fire and stayed inside. This was while he was still in high school, or maybe just entering college. I knew his brother, Nate, as well. Ferns is Definitely getting voted out in the fall, or that is the plan, but his family will pull every string available. I am so sick of this fucking golden boy, he is an example of having money and a powerful family that buys favors.

Anyway, back to the teachers...

I drive by and honk support for them, but finding someone to watch my kids is becoming increasingly difficult. My wife is a college professor and all of the other professors are taking their kids to school and actually teaching them. I am actually going up today to teach an hour on police officers and safety with firearms and other dangers for children. Everyone is pitching in to make sure our kids are busy and still learning.

The state of wv pays everyone too little, save the lawyer who make a killing. There are more lawyers here than anything else because it is a legal sbithole. For the past six years, health insurance cost have gone up every year. If you get a raise, of say 1 or 2%, that is exactly how much the health care cost increase. We used to have three choices, now we only have one plan to choose. The teachers at episodes because of the same thing-health Insurance cost keep going up while pay stays the same. With the second lowest wage for teachers in the country, they need to do something to stop the exodus of teachers and other professionals in the state. Other states refer to a mass exodus as a West Virginia exit! That is saying something. Give the teachers a five percent raise and stop jacking up healthcare.

I don’t know if it is the insurance companies, or Obamacare-that is the reason I was given by my employer several years ago.

I wanted to like your time commitment on the teaching but those lawyer comments :mad:. j/k

As for what's happening with your healthcare, thank the current administration going forward for making it more difficult for everyone involved. They could have strengthened the system or weakened it and they opted to weaken it. That doesn't impact what happened in the years previous but it matters for the years coming.

1- Let's start with the fact that work stoppages by public unions is illegal in WV. It's in the contract they sign.

2- Teachers don't work under shitty conditions, unless you count dealing with unruly teens - again part of the job they signed up for.

3-Break teacher pay down by days worked and you'll find that teachers are more than well compensated - again in a field they signed up for.

4-You might also find out that WV is a state that is ranked 42 for it's fiscal condition - they started the year projecting an 11m budget shortfall before they agreed on this 5% raise - which is why the state senate said they didn't know if they could pay for it.

5-Have you ever asked your boss for a raise at a time the company was loosing money? I didn't think so. The teachers went on strike right after they announced a 2% raise starting in July. Hey, but their money comes from tax payers so it's ok right? Pfft.

6- I pointed it out once, but median household income for the state is 42k (that's 2 workers in most cases), their teachers make more than that and work 3 months less per year than the people paying for their salary.

Again, more power to them, but don't expect me to think it's a noble strike.
Yeah, I've said this for years. Teachers aren't victims. Their benefit and vacation time are fantastic.

How about we raise standards for our teachers before we talk about just blindly throwing money at them. Our education system is a failure.

Yeah, I've said this for years. Teachers aren't victims. Their benefit and vacation time are fantastic.

How about we raise standards for our teachers before we talk about just blindly throwing money at them. Our education system is a failure.

I wouldn't say it's a failure so much as we have parts that are failing. And I blame that more on administrative decisions than teachers as a whole.

Mixed feelings about the teachers' strike, but very glad about the end result raise for them

I don’t know what a decent wage in West Virginia is but teachers should make the equivalent of 40000 here

For a position that requires so much secondary education and that has so much responsibility some posters have laughably low wage ideas.

It's always entertaining to see how the most illogical posters, who often hold completely contradictory opinions, and rarely if ever cite actual facts, are the ones most likely to shit on teachers as a whole... lol.

meme-kermit-drinking-tea-but-thats-none-of-business.png

I wanted to like your time commitment on the teaching but those lawyer comments :mad:. j/k

As for what's happening with your healthcare, thank the current administration going forward for making it more difficult for everyone involved. They could have strengthened the system or weakened it and they opted to weaken it. That doesn't impact what happened in the years previous but it matters for the years coming.

My comments on lawyers, in general, is that in WV, they are the only profession that is comparable to other states, whereas most other professions are grossly underpaid compared to other states. And wv is called a judicial hellhole because of the legal system concerning lawsuits, which is why we have so many lawyers. And my comment regarding fluharty was not that he was a punk ass because he was a lawyer, but he has done some slimy shit as a lawyer , and he is , in fact, a punk ass. Just look up his candidacy commercials and oh! That fucking song. Look up “flu who, fluharty” which used to play on the radio, and it made me want to kick his ass just for that.

The issue I have with Governor Justice's change of stance on the issue is that it doesn't make sense. He said the state isn't going to bring in enough money therefore the teachers can't get the raise they are asking for. Then all of the sudden he says the state will bring in enough money through the legalization of sports gambling (still in the court system so who knows when that will happen) and a 2.5% tax increase on the oil and gas companies. The oil and gas companies will get something back when they can't buy property rights from only 75% of the owners instead of the current rule of 100% of the owners. So they get taxed a bit more, but now have the ability to steal land from unwilling landowners. It's WV so I'm pretty sure the oil and gas companies will make out well and everyone else will get shafted.

Good thing these troopers stayed up in the picket lines even after the lying governor and their union bosses told them a deal was done...

Governor justice (R— formerly D) signed a 5% pay increase. State House passed it 98-1. BUT, the Senate neglected to take a vote on the issue....

The motherfucking strike goes on!

These are people who have been lied to by those in power for their entire lives... and they’ve caught on!

(For context... WV teacher pay rankes 48th... they haven’t received a raise in FOUR years, despite increasing healthcare costs...)

Support these brave people with your thoughts... this is the front line that many of us will have see it in our time if we are going to fight against those who would leave us with NOTHING.

Back