Up, Up, and AWAY!

Welcome back!

giphy.gif

Thanks man, I figured I'd start logging again now that I'm lifting more seriously.

Saturday - 2/4/17

18" Deadlifts

145x6
145x6
235x6
235x6
345x5
455x3
545x3
635x1
635x2
545x7
Went down to 16" and kept legs straight for a set of RDLs
455x12 - Glutes crazy pumped.

Circus DB - Mostly left arm as my right biceps are still tender and guarded from popping them on atlas stones last week.

60lb x 4
60x4
80x2
80x3
100x3
120x2
140x2
160x0
140x5

Competition weight is 150 and form really clicked in today. Every rep of the 140x5 was the same speed and ease and snappiness as with the 100 lb. Messing with the right arm, I could tell my shoulder was guarding and I couldn't get into the same locked in stable position as with the left. Another week and I should be able to train the right as well.

Great day overall. Went into it sore from squats and ended up with a double on 18" deadlift with more weight than I've had in hand for 6 or 7 years.

More low bar squats this week, and an emphasis on shoulder stability and recovery.

How far out from your competition are you? I've got a 145lb Circus DB coming up in 3 weeks as part of a log/circus db medley.

How far out from your competition are you? I've got a 145lb Circus DB coming up in 3 weeks as part of a log/circus db medley.

6 weeks. It's the Oregon Feats of Strength. The same one I zeroed on the deadlift in two years ago. I'm coming for revenge. What comp are you doing?

6 weeks. It's the Oregon Feats of Strength. The same one I zeroed on the deadlift in two years ago. I'm coming for revenge. What comp are you doing?

Mongrel Garage Showdown 2, NAS show, it's just outside of Baltimore, MD. I'm competing in the 200lb class.

Mongrel Garage Showdown 2, NAS show, it's just outside of Baltimore, MD. I'm competing in the 200lb class.

That looks fun, have you practiced with kegs and the DB? The event list doesn't actually say circus DB, are you sure it's an oversized implement? A regular DB is much easier since you can just set the base of one end on your shoulder and it's in your center of gravity and makes for a short stroke.

That looks fun, have you practiced with kegs and the DB? The event list doesn't actually say circus DB, are you sure it's an oversized implement? A regular DB is much easier since you can just set the base of one end on your shoulder and it's in your center of gravity and makes for a short stroke.

It's a 12in Circus DB, I haven't practiced the implements enough (I train primarily in a small room in my basement), but the DB should be ok, I don't press with the bell rested on my shoulder. I've trained for the keg with a bitch of a 225lb sandbag, so the keg should be easy in comparison. I have a duck walk handle, and I'm actually pretty good at that. I'm more concerned about the log (because I've never touched a log), and the car deadlift is always interesting because I don't know how heavy it's going to be in hand.

edit: The entry form on the NAS website is shitty, a more detailed event list and a competitor list is on facebook.

Here's an example of how I press a heavy db...

Last edited:
Considering how fast the DB went up even though you don't throw the it to your center of gravity and don't drop under it, you have plenty of strength for that and should for the log as well. The two important keys for log are to make sure you get your stomach under it/almost hold it tight to your mid chest (not stomach area) before cleaning it, which will put it in your center of gravity. And once it's to the shoulders, make sure your elbows stay UP as you dip and throw. If you have the presence of mind to keep your elbows pointed forward (towards the judge, for example) on the way DOWN to the shoulders between reps you'll find yourself in a very stable position from which to throw the second rep. For the keg, just make sure you pick it off the ground with hands on opposing sides of it, it will make the pick up to lap position so much easier than tipping the keg flat and grabbing the highest point on either side, which will force you to have to bicep the keg up onto your lap before regripping for the clean/load.

Is that the one where you asked Chase to piss in a cup for you because you were gassed up, or am I thinking of another one?

Sunday - 2/5/17

2 hours of treadmill walking 3.0-3.5

Mobility and foam rolling

Monday - 2/6/17

Bench, quick day

315x2
365x1
405x1 - Garbage. Right arm isn't stable yet so the liftoff is throwing off the whole groove. Ran out of time after that so no drop down 225 set.

Tuesday - 2/7/17
Bodyweight 215

Quick and easy squats before date night.

Low bar BS

415x3x3

Wednesday - 2/8/17

Misc recovery day, various reps, sets, and weights of:

Head nods/rotations
Core (toe touches)
1-2 minute scap depression hangs
Good mornings into strict btn press
Couch stretch
Kb hip flexor release

Edit: finished with 30 minutes at the track drilling perfect gait, diaphragm breathing, etc.

Last edited:
Thursday - 2/9/17

AM

30 minutes of treadmill walking 3.0-3.5

Thursday - 2/9/17

Bodyweight 216

Afternoon

Frame carries

255x100 ft
345x100 ft
345x100 ft
505x100 ft

Right pec and biceps talked a little but not too bad.

Both felt fast, 505 didn't feel light but didn't feel heavy either.

Back