Up, Up, and AWAY!

Wednesday - 3/11/15

SUPER good day! I had intentions of doing deads and OHP work, but it turned into something much better, more productive, and more satisfying.

Supersets of 1 minute hanging back flatteners (HBF), hardstyle (incorporating focused breathing), with raw front squats. No belt/wraps.

HBF*1 minute
FS - 95*5

HBF*1 minute
FS - 145*5

HBF*1 minute
FS - 185*3

HBF*1 minute
FS - 245*3

HBF*1 minute
FS - 315*1 - NICE!!

HBF*1 minute
FS - 185*5

HBF*1 minute
FS - 185*5

I haven't done front squats for almost exactly 4 1/2 years. Funny thing: since I intended to do deads I wasn't wearing socks or shoes, so the 315 - and all the other sets - were with no belt, knee wraps, or shoes. Next time I'll throw oly shoes on, but today was a fun experiment.

The last two sets were brutal on the core, feeling my abs lace up in response to the weight pulling down on the front of the body is an exciting portent of things to come!

I avoid those flat backs like the plague lol They're so freakin hard! Gotta try those on a wall now.

Have any tips for a scrawny guy like me to press 2 plates overhead??

They'll be good to you if you're good to them!

You're not scrawny, but how's your shoulder mobility? Stability? Are you doing any turkish getups or scapular depressor moves?

They'll be good to you if you're good to them!

You're not scrawny, but how's your shoulder mobility? Stability? Are you doing any turkish getups or scapular depressor moves?

Mobility and stability have never been better actually. I've been stretching my triceps/lats with a band and doing some mace swinging a few times a week. That, and I have been behind the neck pressing regularly. That may be a factor too.

I should do more things like getups. I'm just a little hesitant because of my lower back.

Mobility and stability have never been better actually. I've been stretching my triceps/lats with a band and doing some mace swinging a few times a week. That, and I have been behind the neck pressing regularly. That may be a factor too.

I should do more things like getups. I'm just a little hesitant because of my lower back.

I saw your OHP video in your log, I'm going to go post on it now with some things that may help.

Turkish getups won't bug your back unless getting out of bed does, if anything the anti-rotational benefits will help stabilize your sacrum and SI.

Sunday - 3/15/15

Low bar back squats - knee wraps, no belt

405*5*5 - PR on 5*5 for sure

Fantastic, realized I was sitting a little too far back, at least for my current back strength to handle, so the first set was the hardest, second set I realized halfway through about how unstable I felt back that far, and then third through fifth sets were awesome and FAST. Once I found my groove I felt way stronger and could have hit another set and/or done 6 reps for sure.

Axle OHP - combination of strict, push-press, and jerks

25*8
25*8
75*5
75*5
115*3
165*3
205*3
255*1
255*1
255*1
205*7

Time for self care! I think the front squats/hanging back flatteners on Wednesday really helped the reflexive core strength for today, but probably left the quads a little reduced coming into today's workout.

It was also questionable to hit jerks after 5*5.

Great night overall after a rough start and going into the workout yawning!

Saturday - 3/21/15

Yoke walk

200*200 ft
290*50 ft
290*50 ft
380*50ft
380*50ft
470*50 ft
470*50 ft
470*50 ft
380*50 ft
290*50 ft
200*200 ft

Off night, had a hard time focusing and getting in the zone. Deadlifts and presses tomorrow.

3/22/15 - Sunday

Bodyweight 200.4

16" Axle deadlifts

115*5
115*5
205*5
205*5
295*3
295*3 - Wraps
385*2 - Belt, wraps
385*2 - Belt, wraps
435*2 - Belt, wraps
435*2 - Belt, wraps
435*1 - Belt, wraps
295*6 - No belt, no wraps
345*4 - No belt, no wraps

I'm not sure what to think about tonight other than disappointment. Apparently my lower back was giving away a tiny amount on the 435. The weight felt heavy but not max, and I didn't FEEL it giving away, so if I hadn't been told it was I would probably have gone heavier.

I'm extremely frustrated that the 5*5 low bar squats at 405 didn't carry over more. The issue is that with squats, my erectors are already contracted and holding my pelvis locked in. With deadlifts, as always, the first place I give away is my lower back.

The goal this week will be to work on Romanian deads up to around 275 for some volume, and to have a similar start position.

It was also noticeably more difficult to get my lats fully contracted on an axle vs an oly bar. Maybe some TGU's before deads next week are in order.

Axle presses

25*8 SOHP
75*5 SOHP
115*5 SOHP

165*3 Jerks
205*3 Jerks
225*1 Jerk - Easy
245*1 Jerk - Easy
215*5 Jerks - 17 seconds, not great but not bad. This is competition weight, and as it gets closer I'll be working on the 1 minute sets. Aiming for 12 or so probably.

165*7 SOHP - Easy and fast, GREAT head movement and core stability.

3/24/15 - Tuesday

Miscellaneous crawling, rolling, back flatteners, torso stiffness, single arm DB OHP

Pull ups

5*5

Front squat

95*5
95*5
145*5
145*5
95*5
145*5 - Right around here is where I had to dig deep to get any energy for today's workout and try to turn it around.
185*3
235*3
265*1
315*1
185*5
185*5

The 315 moved much better than last time, and the ab carryover was more or less just as pronounced. I'm definitely still sore in the erectors, glutes, and hamstrings from deadlifts and OHP on Sunday, so today's workout reflected that.

Tomorrow should be RDLs.

I should mention, ZERO SI joint pain, discomfort, or even talking, from deadlifts. I think I'm close to saying I'm back to 100%, which is almost hard to believe after ~6 years of lower back pain and dysfunction. Incredible.

Last edited:
Thursday - 3/26/15

13" Deadlifts

Up to:

315*5
335*5
335*5
335*5

All beltless, all easy and fast.

Sunday - 3/29/15 - 3 weeks to competition

16" axle deadlifts

115*5
115*5
165*5
165*5
255*3
205*3
295*3
385*3
435*2 - much easier than last week
475*1 - recent PR, reletively easy
525*0 - ANGER - felt the lower back giving
525*0 - RAGE - felt the lower back giving

Yoke walk

200*50
200*50
290*50
380*50
470*50
470*50
560*50
560*50
560*50
650*50 - Compeition weight, half distance. 2 drops but they were due to instability of my upper back not strength of legs or lower back. Good sign! Heaviest yoke in years.
560*100 ft. - Competition distance, down 50 ft, drop, turn around, back 50 ft.

16" Axle deadlifts - more volume work

205*5
295*3
385*3
435*4 - Awesome

Last edited:
Getting back takes time. I have to keep telling myself the same sadly.

Tuesday - 3/31/15

Quick workout between clients

SOHP

Up to:

205x1
205x1
165x8

SOHP 205x1, 205x1, 165x8:

Definitely off today, CNS was drained all day which meant reflexive core was off.

Last edited:
Wednesday - 4/1/15

30 minute core stability/anti-rotation workout

Dragonflags*7
Front squats 95*10
1 arm DB SOHP 40*10/side

Repeat 3x

Isolateral kb walks, clean rack position

40lbs x 110 ft
50lbs x 110 ft
70lbs x 110 ft

Friday 4/3/15

5*5 minute rounds of heavy bag kickboxing, for funsies and just to do some movement that wasn't lifting related.

Monday - 4/6/15

17" Deadlifts, up to:

335*15 - better than last week
335*22 - progress!

No belt

SOHP, up to:

215x1 - progress

Various stability and mobility work during the week, including: turkish getups, back flatteners, etc.

Friday - 4/10/15

Atlas stones

240*10 reps, some one motion, some two motion. No tacky allowed at the comp, so the goal was to find the best combination of tape that allowed as much grip as possible, so we played around with different setup on the 240. Comp stones after kegs will be 230 and 265.

Axle deads, up to:

385*4 - no belt
385*4 - no belt

Axle rack pulls, above the knees

600*3 - belt - Absolute joke, no issues whatsoever. If my lower back can hold on long enough at the comp to get the weight above my knees, I'll fulfill my goal of pulling this for at least a single!

Axle SOHP/Jerks

Quick and easy, up to sets of 5 with 165

Weight still 200.8

First strongman competition back in around 5 years! I had a good deal of pressure on myself to hit the 605 deadlift, but came up short on that goal. Overall though the competition was a huge success, and highlighted plenty of things to work on.

Out of 5 competitors and 5 events I took four 2nd place finishes and one 1st place.

Yoke – 2nd place - 650 lbs, 50 ft down 50 ft back. One drop. I really felt this in my quads and abs, FAR more than normal. Good for the abs, bad for the quads. I was really pleased with this performance since the most I’d done in training was 650x50 ft and had two drops in that run. This and the frame carry were my best showings of the day.

Pressing medley – 2nd place – 180 lb keg clean and press, 200 lb keg clean and press, 225 axle clean once press for reps. This should have been my event to lose, but with my quads somewhat fried from the yoke, I just didn’t feel explosive or full of my normal overhead power. One recurring issue during this competition was my complete lack of training with kegs. It hurt me on the press and it hurt on the loading medley. I had great situational awareness (so some of my previous competition experience stayed with me) on this one, listening to the countdown and knowing I had the juice for a 4th rep but just barely, and timing it correctly. I believe I could have gotten 5 reps if I’d committed to continental cleaning the axle right away but frankly it wouldn’t have mattered, the guy who took first in this event had a better showing than me here and got 5 without making it look too difficult, I’d believe he was capable of 6 or 7 if he had to to beat me.

Axle deadlift – Tied for 2nd with three other guys – 605 lbs. Not much to say here. I just wasn’t strong enough yet. The absolute silver lining here, for which I’m extremely happy, is that I was pulling with about all I’ve got, not thinking or guarding my lower back, and it turns out it held up and DIDN’T give away! It’s incredible to be in this place after the lower back issues and trauma I’ve gone through. I’m going to start training good mornings and RDL’s and deadlifts from blocks extensively and make my back as bulletproof as my abs have gotten. No deads from the floor yet, I don’t need to risk it for some arbitrary height for now, but I’ll get there. Strength will be the goal, not numbers on the bar (although I swear I’ll hit that 605 and much much more in the future!).

Loading medley – 1st place – 200 lb, 225 lb, 250 lb kegs, 245 lb atlas stone, 275 lb atlas stone. My inexperience on the kegs killed me here, as well as the setup of the implements. The rubber mats the equipment was on were just barely big enough for the weights and for around half a shoe to fit on until you approached the bar with the implement. Next time: grab the kegs off sided instead of same sided for a MUCH easier pick up and much smoother transition to the load. No tacky on the stones as the promoter didn’t want to clean tacky off of his kegs. The last stone, the 275, was only loaded by I believe 2 competitors – total. Including heavyweights and masters. It was absurdly slick and dusty and impossible to get a grip on. I’m REALLY pleased that I almost lapped it, and have zero doubt that if I had, I could have loaded it. I’ve always been good with stones and today was no exception apparently, since most people didn’t load the 245 lb stone let alone break the 275 from the ground.

Frame carry – 2nd place – 550 pounds for 60 seconds unlimited drops. I got 148 feet I believe. I’m absolutely thrilled with this performance because it was a big question mark on how my grip would hold up considering I use my hands hard, for manual labor, every day of the week. It turns out it made them very, very strong. The only thing that kept me from taking first in this event (I believe 1st place went 149 or 150 feet) was a hesitation about my calluses tearing and knowing I have a 50 hour work week ahead of me where I cannot have incapacitated hands. I dropped at around the 115 ft mark but could have held on for 10 feet or so, and then my last big push to the finish would have taken me over the 150 mark.

Something I’m extremely happy about is how this weight was only 50 lbs less than the axle deadlift and I picked it up 4 times and have zero back pain today! Obviously a side handled pick is easier than in front of the knees, but it’s still invigorating to know I can perform like this and just go for it and start trusting my body more and muting the feedback from my lower back.

Those are my thoughts for now; if I think of more I’ll come back and edit it later.

[YT]b6v81E-puRM[/YT]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back