Unworthy opening acts

sangreporsangre

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I saw Guns N Roses in Montreal a couple of days ago, it was a friggin amazing show, probably the best concert I've ever seen and I've seen quite a few. But what i couldn't believe was that the lame-ass Canadian band Our Lady Peace got the honour of opening the shows on the Canadian leg of their tour. Wtf? Who made that decision? It didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but it was really random and underwhelming to see these lames belt out their bland Canadian-content radio anthems. About a month ago I saw Metallica in Toronto and while Avenged Sevenfold had a badass opening set, the first band that played was Volbeat. Again, wtf? They weren't terrible but they seemed way out of place at this concert. The singer even called for a circle pit at one point, which gave me a terrible case of douche chills, especially when one predictably didn't materialize.

The headliners were so great at these concerts that it didn't really matter, although at times it was like a chore (or a punishment) to get through the opening sets. I'm sure I've seen other similar situations where a band just doesn't belong on a concert bill (I saw Billy Talent play this metal festival called Metal TO like 5 years ago, they played right before Slayer and Rob Zombie! Wtf!), but these recent examples were some of the most egregious I can think of. What say you guys, has anybody been to a concert where you just couldn't fathom how the opening band got the gig??

When GnR played here in the States at least one show Sturgill Simpson was their opening act.

I like Sturgill Simpson, I like GnR... those two just.. don't go together in my mind for me. Sturgill Simpson is like a throwback to folk songs and guys like Merle Haggard and Waylon Jennings... opening for GnR....

Back