Unsigned Heavyweights - Thread Four

Mark Tanios defeats Luc Ngeleka by Unanimous Decision. Ngeleka was on a roll too, that's too bad.

Updated the main posts with new honorables and added the next batch of upcoming fights. Apologies for the sparse updates lately, I haven't had much time the past bit.

Mark Tanios is only 25, seems a good sized HW so maybe he'll progress into a prospect in his own right.

According to a poster on MMAJUNKIE, Chase Sherman (10-1) has signed with the UFC.

According to a poster on MMAJUNKIE, Chase Sherman (10-1) has signed with the UFC.

He'll be fighting Justin Ledet at HW.

I'll pick Sherman to win and Ledet to drop to LHW afterwards. Honestly though I don't think either of these two will hit the top 15 at HW.

They are probably both guys who can do 205, and Sherman already got torched by Nicholson, who's fighting at MW.

I assume they'll pickup Jeff Hughes very soon as well. I honestly thought they'd sign him before Ledet and Sherman.

After Hughes, all the somewhat servicable heavies who aren't tied up in Bellator or WSoF on the US scene will be 2-0 at a maximim.

Michel Batista - 2-0
Dontale Mayes - 2-0
Chris Lewis - 1-0
Brendan Battles - 1-0
JD Ramsey - 1-0

So I expect Hughes to get picked up since he's 6-0, and then they'll see which of the batch above makes it to 5 or 6 wins undefeated before they pull the trigger on them.

Where did you read about Sherman fighting Ledet, dude?

Good to see that the past 6 months the UFC has been adding lots of guys to their HW division. 12 more fighters have been added in the last 6 months - Tybura, Milstead, Grabowski, East, Danho, Asker, Blaydes, Colombo, Sherman, Ledet, Mihajlovic & Sosnovskiy. Not all of them are world beaters, but solid additions none the less.

Shame Ledet isn't dropping back to 205 for his debut. They are going wild with all these HW signings.lol Now time to do it at LHW.

He'll be fighting Justin Ledet at HW.

So I expect Hughes to get picked up since he's 6-0, and then they'll see which of the batch above makes it to 5 or 6 wins undefeated before they pull the trigger on them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherdog only list 3-0 fo Jeff Hughes
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Jeff-Hughes-23793

Speaking of Jeff Hughes, his next fight has been announced. At WXC 64 on August 13th, he'll fight #1 Michigan Heavyweight Leroy Johnson. Both are undefeated at 6-0. Winner could very likely join UFC. Johnson is a bit older at 36, but don't count him out.

13567270_10154485687169050_9199017459365513307_n.jpg

Speaking of Jeff Hughes, his next fight has been announced. At WXC 64 on August 13th, he'll fight #1 Michigan Heavyweight Leroy Johnson. Both are undefeated at 6-0. Winner could very likely join UFC. Johnson is a bit older at 36, but don't count him out.

That's a crazy good fight. And yeah, the UFC will likely pick up the winner. Johnson has great wrestling, but if Hughes can keep it on the feet he'll take the win.

Just found out they're having a card in my town with the main and co-main being heavyweight fights. SCC: Rose City Showdown will be headlined by Jason Preston (2-0) who fights out of my town. He will fight Juan Torres (4-6) who fought Justin Wren at Bellator 149. In the co-main, Jeremy Hardy (4-1) will fight Dwight Gipson (6-7). 2 time Bellator fighter Jeremiah O'Neal (13-25) will also be on the card, he'll fight Kyle Keeney (19-22). Strangely enough, he's from the town where I went to high school. Small world.lol

Good to see that the past 6 months the UFC has been adding lots of guys to their HW division. 12 more fighters have been added in the last 6 months - Tybura, Milstead, Grabowski, East, Danho, Asker, Blaydes, Colombo, Sherman, Ledet, Mihajlovic & Sosnovskiy. Not all of them are world beaters, but solid additions none the less.

Who you fellas got as the dark horse ?

Hey Paul, what's your opinion on Ricardo Prasel? He's fighting on the Aspera card tomorrow. 26 years old, 6'7, 6-0, all finishes. You think he might end the dry spell for Brazilian heavies?

Hey Paul, what's your opinion on Ricardo Prasel? He's fighting on the Aspera card tomorrow. 26 years old, 6'7, 6-0, all finishes. You think he might end the dry spell for Brazilian heavies?

From the footage I've seen, nope. He won his fight yesterday, but the guys he's fighting are basically amateurs. If he were in the US, he'd be a 7-0 amateur. He needs a couple more years and steady increase in competition, or he'll drop his first fight against mid level competition.

Fernando Rodrigues was the guy I thought would be the next big thing, but he never solved his cardio issues or inconsistency.

Luis "Avatar" Santos may be a guy who makes it to a big promotion if he continues doing MMA regularly, I actually think he's fairly decent.

Last edited:
Titan FC has signed a heavyweight prospect from Switzerland and putting him right in the title picture.

Volkan Oezdemir, a recent signee, will fight for the heavyweight title at Titan FC 41 on Sept. 9, promotion officials told MMA Fighting on Thursday. Oezdemir will take on the winner of a title fight between Jack May and Derrick Mehmen from Titan FC 40 on Aug. 5.

Back