Unpopular wrestling opinions

It's your opinion and I respect that, even though I disagree.

1. ECW is what really got most of the Lucha and/or other CWs on the map in the US. They didn't have a "division", but they were booked and featured on the card in major ways. ECW is what showed both WCW and WWF that the these guys had their worth and thus both took these talents eventually from ECW, WCW more so. Examples are Jericho, Super Crazy, Tajiri, Misterio, Psychosis, Eddie Guerrero, Lance Storm, Little Guido, Kid Kash, Jerry Lynn, Malenko, Benoit, and Spike Dudley. If you see otherwise, ok, but you implied that WCW was the catalyst for these guys and ECW borrowed elements from them. All of these guys started in ECW first in a major capacity and then went to WCW.

2. If you fail to see how Austin, Funk, Rick Rude, Cactus Jack, Raven, Douglas and Bam Bam Bigelow were not brought back from the ashes by ECW, then I don't know what to tell you. The SCSA character came from the Superstar Steve Austin in ECW. Rick Rude was injured and left for dead by WCW until ECW introduced him back with the "Fuck with the Franchise" storyline. Rude was a PERFECT fit for mid 90s ECW and it also showed he had plenty left in the tank. The result, BOTH WWF and WCW brought him back. Cactus Jack was another wrestler left in the trash by WCW so he goes to ECW (and Japan too tbf) and gets over big time. Next thing you know, Mankind. THE WHOLE CHARACTER OF RAVEN COMES FROM ECW. Do you think he is remembered most as Johnny Polo of Scotty Flamingo??? Bam Bam became a legit badass again in ECW after the WWF jobbed him to LT. Result is a WCW signing. Last one is Pillman. Leaves WCW after being stuck in mid card hell, goes to WCW and GETS OVER SO FAST that he is in WWF within a few months in a main card capacity. All of these guys careers got resurrected by ECW.

3. Douglas never achieved success in WWF other than a one day IC title reign, but he was a multiple time tag champ in WCW with Steamboat. Their matches with the Hollywood Blondes were all show stealers too. Hardly a "glorified lower midcarder". He also got signed by WCW and became the US champ to boot. A great lower midcarder indeed...

Look, I understand it's you unpopular opinion, but I just cant see how you can think "ECW ...elements that are fondly remembered were pioneered by them (WCW)" when WCW clearly took them from ECW. Even Bischoff would admit to that lol.

Just wondering, did you watch ECW in the 90s? Not being condescending but really wondering...
1. All those guys started in ECW before WCW or WWF but ECW really didn't give most of them I'm discussing a push (JL, the FBI, Kash and LSD being major exceptions) and basically booked them as programs (to the point they were barely featured). It was WCW who brought all these talents and slowly (too slowly) brought about a division and stylistic change to NA wrestling. Also I don't think the ECW runs there had much affect on their hirings as many of those talents had stellar careers in both Mexico and Japan. WWE's claim about ECW bringing in new styles and exposing the fans to a new product (unless we count FMW) is simply not true. The Thrillseekers had more of a run in SMW than many of those cruiserweight/lucha names names and they barely had a cup of coffee there (and it did them no favors).

2. Funk and Shane D were revitalized from very different positions without question. Rude barely walked in the door (and only because his NJPW match with Sting ruined his neck and back) and was rehired by a desperate WWF and a backstabbing WCW and did nothing before his tragic death. Raven was made by ECW but he had no resemblance to the characters he portrayed previously (might as well through Justin Credible in there). Jack got hot but Mick was basically doing his Japan shtick part time. Bam Bam's loss may have hurt him but not as much as indifference and age, he did get hired by WCW but they were hiring everyone (and all he did was a brief tag run with DDP that I rather enjoyed). Pillman was already hot (WCW got him over twice) after the bookerman spot and his ECW run was more of the same. I'm not denying they got dozens over but they did nothing for Eddie, Rey, Psicocis, Jericho, Malenko, Juvi, Chono or any of the other Japanese stars the way WCW did.

3. I'm very confused by this because Douglas' original ECW run was based off bashing his WCW treatment by Flair for the Gold era booker Flair and not his later Dean Douglas gimmick unless I got my timelines confused. Certainly he was not a main player in WCW in the early 00's even after two ECW bumps.

And yes I did watch ECW in the 90's starting about 1995. I remember the disaster of the TNN deal due to its parallax scheduling that no one talks about anymore (I even had the ECW Dreamcast game). The damn show was on Friday except when it wasn't (this is in the TV Guide era) and even setting up a VCR you were more than likely to tape whatever bullshit they threw on that week.

To try and put this to bed I am not claiming that dozens of careers were made, saved, resurrected, and started by ECW, or even that WCW did it much better. I'm simply saying that WCW has had its credit stolen (by WWE strangely enough) when they were the primary catalyst for many international stars.

Last edited:
1. All those guys started in ECW before WCW or WWF but ECW really didn't give most of them I'm discussing a push (JL, the FBI, Kash and LSD being major exceptions) and basically booked them as programs (to the point they were barely featured). It was WCW who brought all these talents and slowly (too slowly) brought about a division and stylistic change to NA wrestling. Also I don't think the ECW runs there had much affect on their hirings as many of those talents had stellar careers in both Mexico and Japan. WWE's claim about ECW bringing in new styles and exposing the fans to a new product (unless we count FMW) is simply not true. The Thrillseekers had more of a run in SMW than many of those cruiserweight/lucha names names and they barely had a cup of coffee there (and it did them no favors).

2. Funk and Shane D were revitalized from very different positions without question. Rude barely walked in the door (and only because his NJPW match with Sting ruined his neck and back) and was rehired by a desperate WWF and a backstabbing WCW and did nothing before his tragic death. Raven was made by ECW but he had no resemblance to the characters he portrayed previously (might as well through Justin Credible in there). Jack got hot but Mick was basically doing his Japan shtick part time. Bam Bam's loss may have hurt him but not as much as indifference and age, he did get hired by WCW but they were hiring everyone (and all he did was a brief tag run with DDP that I rather enjoyed). Pillman was already hot (WCW got him over twice) after the bookerman spot and his ECW run was more of the same. I'm not denying they got dozens over but they did nothing for Eddie, Rey, Psicocis, Jericho, Malenko, Juvi, Chono or any of the other Japanese stars the way WCW did.

3. I'm very confused by this because Douglas' original ECW run was based off bashing his WCW treatment by Flair for the Gold era booker Flair and not his later Dean Douglas gimmick unless I got my timelines confused. Certainly he was not a main player in WCW in the early 00's even after two ECW bumps.

And yes I did watch ECW in the 90's starting about 1995. I remember the disaster of the TNN deal due to its parallax scheduling that no one talks about anymore (I even had the ECW Dreamcast game). The damn show was on Friday except when it wasn't (this is in the TV Guide era) and even setting up a VCR you were more than likely to tape whatever bullshit they threw on that week.

To try and put this to bed I am not claiming that dozens of careers were made, saved, resurrected, and started by ECW, or even that WCW did it much better. I'm simply saying that WCW has had its credit stolen (by WWE strangely enough) when they were the primary catalyst for many international stars.

I can agree with that last sentence to an extent. The reason is that Vince's ego MUST destroy all things WCW (Flair and the Road Warriors are the exceptions IMO). WCW did in the early 90s have a working relationship with NJPW, so a lot of my early awareness to the Japanese wrestlers and other talents from there was because of WCW (Muta, Liger, Benoit, Sensake, Vader, Fujinami, etc.) so I can see what you are saying. Good debate.

I always thought HBK never needed
AJPts6M.gif

to seem gay.

I tried very hard to like his character, and I did like many of his matches, but couldn't get rid of seeing him as an insufferable ass spelunker.

I always thought HBK never needed
AJPts6M.gif

to seem gay.

I tried very hard to like his character, and I did like many of his matches, but couldn't get rid of seeing him as an insufferable ass spelunker.

"Sexy Boy", stripteases in the middle of the ring, mostly men in the audience...

Little bit gay, yeah.

I do not miss Finn Balor, even a little bit.

Tyler Breeze is an intercontinental champion material. He has the Shawn Michaels look, he's a good and smooth worker in the ring. He has great gimmick in NXT. Good selling skills and mic work.

Enzo Amore should be a manager. His wrestling skills are below par. He is holding back Big Cass and his potential.

Kalisto will never be recognized in years time and won't make a name for himself. He'll never escape Rey Mysterio's shadow

The actual wrestling during the Attitude Era was awful.

The actual wrestling during the Attitude Era was awful.
I guess you're right about that... Constant chair shots and squash matches. If you look at it in certain ways.

The stunts were fuckimg sick though.

Kalisto will never be recognized in years time and won't make a name for himself. He'll never escape Rey Mysterio's shadow

I think you mixed up unpopular opinions and facts.

The Finger Poke of Doom actually made sense at the time, and the storyline would've worked Goldberg didn't bust his hand up.

WCW Eddie G > WWE Eddie G

Probably predictable coming from me, but:

CM Punk wasn't actually that good on the mic. The only promos people actually remember from his career are the ones where he lifts the curtain and says things "he shouldn't say". But when he's got to stick to the parameters of a story, he has to get a match or another person over, he sucks ass.

Probably predictable coming from me, but:

CM Punk wasn't actually that good on the mic. The only promos people actually remember from his career are the ones where he lifts the curtain and says things "he shouldn't say". But when he's got to stick to the parameters of a story, he has to get a match or another person over, he sucks ass.

I highlighted what I think was his main issue.

The Finger Poke of Doom actually made sense at the time, and the storyline would've worked Goldberg didn't bust his hand up.
The finger poke occurred in January of 1999. Goldberg shattered his hand 11 months later in December. I do agree though. It was a heel turn it was supposed to make people mad.

Back