Unpopular S&C Beliefs | Page 20

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Synapse, Sep 30, 2014.

1. miaou barely keeping it together

miaou
    Why?

NurseKnuckles likes this.
  2. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    Its a friend's gym. It something for him to do. There's no (traditional) jiu jitsu offered in my city. Its called MMA classes but looks like it's jiu jitsu classes mixed with striking classes. He could take karate but the MMA gym is closer and its a buddy of mine.

3. miaou barely keeping it together

miaou
    I you have a wrestling club in your area, that's a great activity for kids that age (they get to roll, do some very simple gymnastics, and wrestle with each-other, which is also a pretty playful activity).

4. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    I think one of the High School sin town might have a wrestling team, but I've never seen or heard of any in my area.

5. JonJonesLines Orange Belt

JonJonesLines
    Where do you live? General vicinity that is

6. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    Brockville, which is near Ottawa in Canada.

7. JonJonesLines Orange Belt

JonJonesLines
    Ahh Canada, I have no answers. Anywhere in the US, I could hook you up.

8. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    Wrestling isn't all that popular here. There are schools in the bigger cities, and some rural high schools likely have a team, but trying to run even a wrestling class would take a major population to draw from.

Badger67 and JonJonesLines like this.
  9. Badger67 Taxidea taxus

Badger67
    My wrestling team averaged 6 to 9 people all 3.5 years i wrestled. Can relate

10. JustBleed69 Touch-Butt Purple Belt

JustBleed69
    The word better does not exist in training, it's all about context. If someone is trying to improve their back squat then the back squat is the better variation and if someone wants to improve their deadlift then deadlifting from the floor would be superior.

Also people have different genetic limitations that make certain movements more ideal for them.

If you want to generalize then maybe you have an arguement for the front squat, but there is no real arguement for rack pulls. The risk of low back injury is maybe even higher than regular deadlifts to the increased lower back stimulus from having to break the ineritia of the rack.

Imo front squats or high bar squats and the sumo deadlift are the most superior lower body movements due to the mobility requirements as well as the muscle recruitment.

11. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    Not sure that I saw this post before.
    Front Squats are OK, but they aren't back squats.

Rack pulls are nothing like deadlifting from the floor, and I think the risk of injury for them seems higher. Block pulls however might be a good substitute if you don't want to DL from the floor.

ItsTimeToShrekYouUp likes this.
  12. JustBleed69 Touch-Butt Purple Belt

JustBleed69
    Quinn Henoch.

Look him up.

Most PTs are garbage but the idea of PT is not.

selfcritical likes this.
  13. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    PTs do an invaluable job working with chronic pain patients, stroke victims, other neurological groups, the elderly, cardiac patients, cancer patients, people with obstructive lung diseases and other various hospitalised patient groups. It's MUCH more than just standing on a bosu ball in a gym, and infinitely more complex. It's also not just about which exercises, but how, when and why to apply them.

Pain science, neurology, physiology, anatomy, biomechanics, psychology, manual therapy all these things are studied for years in PT school. That's how it is here anyway.

Sure, some PTs suck, especially some of the lazy ones at clinics, but that's the same in every profession.

Badger67 likes this.
  14. JustBleed69 Touch-Butt Purple Belt

JustBleed69
    Yeah.

Like i said, look up Quinn Henoch and clinical athlete. He has some great commentary on the issues with modern physical therapy and pain science.

15. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    I know who he is. As an orthopedic/musculoskeletal PT he is very good. A lot of the things he says resonates well with me because I've been schooled on the same things and use a lot of the same source material.

This one is solid:

selfcritical and JustBleed69 like this.
  16. JustBleed69 Touch-Butt Purple Belt

JustBleed69
    Yeah I've actually listen to that one he also has a really good interview on the strength athlete podcast

selfcritical and Sano like this.
  17. aus101 Brown Belt

aus101
    And now instead of being a potential target for bullies he'll be a p4p beast able to humble some of the largest bullies in the school, nice job.

I was a skinny, uncoordinated littley but raised right with wrestling by 11 kids two years older would have met their match, by 14 the average man would of been hard pressed. With striking and gymnastics as well your son will be lethal.

JonJonesLines likes this.
  18. JonJonesLines Orange Belt

JonJonesLines
    Haha my wife didn't understand it until I showed her pics of me in 8th grade weighing 85lbs. She agreed that he needed to learn to defend himself and so my master plan started to come to fruition. My wife had a change of mind and boxing is back on! I'm very excited.

With gymnastics going to the wayside, he starts working with our MS wrestling team in the weight room next Monday. I'm hoping he will take to it.

aus101 likes this.