Unpopular S&C Beliefs

There's so many athletes though, "hard work and training, coaches etc" isn't just something only one or two driven individuals are performing, it's the baseline. Everyone is going "all in", or at least large numbers are depending upon the sport. Claiming "it's not genetics" when it comes to sporting success comes across as completely clueless.

Anyone who has ever played a sport quickly realises with the same environment not everyone is the same after all.
Everyone is not going all in at all.

Thats the fucking point i'm trying to make. 99% of these amateur/highschool athletes never come close to there reaching there full genetic potential. That's why I find it funny that there quick to discredit the coaching/effort that went into the other guys success.

I"m 5x the athlete I am now then when i was playing varisty football at a fairly large texas school (graduating class of about 450). I bet every fucker i played highschool football with is reminiscing about there highschool prime Al Bundy style while i'm out here busting my ass.

Literally the only two kids on my team that had there own coaches on the side where the only two that went on to play college football (one was henderson state and the other was baylor). The rest of the team where like me, never came close to reaching physical/mental prime.

The average/baseline american coach (jr high and highschool) isn't going to get you anywhere close to your physical/mental prime. There's a reason why these kids who've been on club teams for a decade are fucking stomping the shit out of some random highschool team and theres a reason why parents are intentionally moving to highschools that have established programs in there sport.

Last edited:
I think you guys are putting too much thought into this.
Some athletes will just figure out a way to become great. Others, who may have otherwise been great will squander their talents on stuff regular kids do. Its not that difficult of an equation.

I love the topic of Nature vs. Nurture when it comes to athletics, especially with youth.

I also love watching parents stress about the future of their children in athletics. They will go to great lengths giving them "opportunity" to improve and shit. The money that is spent on it is unbelievable. I look at the HS hockey team I played for. 6 guys gets drafted to the Quebec Major Juniors, maybe half played, and none went any further, and that's a nationally ranked HS team. In fact this past season, they won the national championship. I'm not sure any of us spent any considerable time "training" outside of what little we were asked to do while in season.

Someone might read this and say, "but what if you had done more?" The point is we had all the opportunity to do more but we were young assholes. We chased girls and drank beer on our time off. None of us were professional material. Lots of potential, and maybe some could have gone to the show, but we just weren't interested. And I think for most kids, this is the case. We had loads of fun, learned to play well, took the life lessons we could and moved on.

I think you guys are putting too much thought into this.
Some athletes will just figure out a way to become great. Others, who may have otherwise been great will squander their talents on stuff regular kids do. Its not that difficult of an equation.

Yeah, right. What a waste of time wondering if there might be drivers of athletic performance, and if people might be able to understand them, and study them. And trying to find out if some people might be able to use that understanding to be better athletes or make better athletes.

"Some people just end up great." Let's leave it at that.

Maybe we should do the same with medicine. Some people get better when they get sick, some don't. No need try to understand what actually makes people sick, or get better. Some people will just figure out a way to become healthy.

medicine and your son's soccer career are two very very different things.

I'm all for studying that stuff. But as a parent of children in sports, I can find better things to do with my child than worry about summer hockey camp because he just has to make the travelling team next year.

If he's not constantly shooting pucks in my garage, or finding ways to play and watch hockey, I won't worry about what will make him a better hockey player. He'll likely have just as much fun playing tag at the park, or playing soccer or baseball when he's not on the ice. Kids today are often pushed to be better and to specialize and it's costing them relationships, family and love of the sport.

Yes some will be become great, and I think we should figure out what makes these kids tick, so we can finally get the heads of some of these parents out of their asses. No question. But seriously, us, here on a sub- forum discussing percentages of nature vs. nurture with any more intent than some friendly banter and anecdotal experience is pretty ridiculous. But go ahead, Jaunty. You fight the good fight.

Last edited:
The back squat is over rated. It only gets so much credit because of powerlifters.
There ain't that many athletes in the world that are back squatting with heavy weight. And even if they are, they usually half squat or quarter squat.

The back squat is over rated. It only gets so much credit because of powerlifters.
There ain't that many athletes in the world that are back squatting with heavy weight. And even if they are, they usually half squat or quarter squat.

latest

Yeah, Trent Dassouzo mentioned heavy back squats were bad for the tibialis tendon joint. And that they should be cut short anyway. Quarter squatting and Half squatting is actually much more efficient in building strong vastus fortialis, or runners muscle among other things, so you might be on to something.

Last edited:

I'm all for studying that stuff. But as a parent of children in sports, I can find better things to do with my child than worry about summer hockey camp because he just has to make the travelling team next year.

If he's not constantly shooting pucks in my garage, or finding ways to play and watch hockey, I won't worry about what will make him a better hockey player. He'll likely have just as much fun playing tag at the park, or playing soccer or baseball when he's not on the ice. Kids today are often pushed to be better and to specialize and it's costing them relationships, family and love of the sport.

Yes some will be become great, and I think we should figure out what makes these kids tick, so we can finally get the heads of some of these parents out of their asses. No question. But seriously, us, here on a sub- forum discussing percentages of nature vs. nurture with any more intent than some friendly banter and anecdotal experience is pretty ridiculous. But go ahead, Jaunty. You fight the good fight.

I think sports specialization is a great thing, for some kids. Those that want to just do that sport should only do that sport.

You can push a kid to get better at a sport and get them to love the sport, without them ever realizing. I hated wrestling until I got to high school but my dad had one rule "you will wrestle until you're done with high school." Kids really don't know what they want and it's your job to help them find it.

I have regret over my college career and chasing tail and drinking beer all the time. My kids? I have an 11 year old who does gymnastics and wrestles, he doesn't even know it's my master plan for him.

people do not achieve their goals because they wont do what is necessary to achieve them

successful athletes are willing to do things that others are not willing to do

Most pro athletes don't have a clue about proper programming, taper, periodization ect are usually told what to do by their coaches. But alot of them are willing to do what ever it takes to be the best (skill) in their sport and practice, drill, hours and hours on end. Their strength and conditioning on the other hand are god given genetic freaks.

I am not going to tell anyone how to raise their child but to me the decision should largely be made by the child. If it is a mistake then they must learn from the mistake and if they dont make the travel team it means either they are not going about it the right way or they are moving in the wrong direction. The reality is that yes relationships/family time are sacrificed to a large degree but you also miss out on a opportunity to accomplish something you want to do. There is always going to be pain and pleasure with whatever choices we make to do with our lives but the difference is a person should be allowed to make that choice for themselves and thus they own their life.

I think sports specialization is a great thing, for some kids. Those that want to just do that sport should only do that sport.

You can push a kid to get better at a sport and get them to love the sport, without them ever realizing. I hated wrestling until I got to high school but my dad had one rule "you will wrestle until you're done with high school." Kids really don't know what they want and it's your job to help them find it.

I have regret over my college career and chasing tail and drinking beer all the time. My kids? I have an 11 year old who does gymnastics and wrestles, he doesn't even know it's my master plan for him.
You have a master plan for your kid?

You have a master plan for your kid?

In a way, yes. I wanted him to be strong (gymnastics), tough (did boxing from 5-10 until my wife said no more, he loved it), and wrestle. I'm a wrestling coach and I've always wanted him to wrestle. So I made it fun and he loves it.

He's the shortest kid in his grade and the lightest, his options for sports were limited. That's why I did what I did.

I see nothing wrong with this. Your master plan does not sound like a vicarious 'live-through.'

Boxing from 5 to 10 sounds like a horrible idea.

Unless it involves no contact to the head, in which case it is not really boxing.

Boxing from 5 to 10 sounds like a horrible idea.

Unless it involves no contact to the head, in which case it is not really boxing.

Miles will be taking MMA classes and its really not boxing, but learning the techniques and punching inanimate objects. He's 5. I assumed this would be very similar to 5-10 year olds boxing.

I see nothing wrong with this. Your master plan does not sound like a vicarious 'live-through.'

Yeah its more of a plan to put him in a position to succeed than anything else. Whether he succeeds or not is entirely dependent upon his own work ethic and desire.

The boxing classes involved almost no sparring and when they got to spar, it was learning where to punch and how to move inside the ring. All punches were taps (and I mean actually tapping the guy with your glove). No concussions or anything like that were ever a concern

My issue is mostly with parents who insist on specializing in a sport. I also find issue with separating kids at 5-6 into competitive and non-competitive when, as a coach there are a lot of ways to use the better skilled kids to your advantage to help improve the skills and confidence of the less skilled kids. But people don't want to hear that. People want the jump suit with AAAA on the back.

My issue is mostly with parents who insist on specializing in a sport. I also find issue with separating kids at 5-6 into competitive and non-competitive when, as a coach there are a lot of ways to use the better skilled kids to your advantage to help improve the skills and confidence of the less skilled kids. But people don't want to hear that. People want the jump suit with AAAA on the back.

I hope my son decides to specialize with wrestling as gymnastics is quickly becoming way too fucking expensive and time consuming. The next step up is $500 a month with 4 practices a week from 4:30-7:30pm as well as expensive out of town tournaments every other weekend. He'd rather wrestle 2-3x a week for an hour and a half and play lacrosse.

Sports specialization can be a great thing when it's child driven and at a certain age. I see so many parents in wrestling who are taking little 6 yo johnny to 5 practices a week, to a special S&C coach 3x a week, flying all over the country for tournaments and then in 5 years the kid hates them. Kids need to be kids. The cream always rises to the top

Back