Unpopular S&C Beliefs

No. There's tons of benefits to vary rep ranges, intensity levels and rest intervals. One doesn't have to lift heavy on their last set to get stronger. There's things like periodization, step schemes, % based programs and RPE programs. Some of which, you wont be lifting anything seriously heavy (90% 1RM +) for long time, if at all.

That makes sense. Badger, I have a question for you. Are there any carry over with strength training to plyo or explosive training?

Plenty. It's often said one should be able to squat 1.5 times their body weight before doing plyometric. I'm not entirely convinced of this number per se as gymnasts do plyo their entire lives, but they do a lot of strength and skill work leading up to it to protect the soft tissues and joints.

Additionally, one needs a good supply of strength compared to their body weight in order to accelerate it explosively, be it jumping or pushing something like shotput.
Things to consider for explosive work is rate coding; the ability to recruit higher end motor units more quickly or in a more technical term, more rapid neuronal impulses summated. You cannot hope to do this if one does not have enough strength and ability to recruit more motor units in the first place (See also Henneman's size principle).
As an arbitrary number, if you can only recruit 5 motor units and attempted plyo, you wont get as far as the guy who can recruit 7 motor units.

Strength training allows for us to protect our body and increase power output later when trained specifically for it.

I'll pm you a link on motor control.

Thank you for the info and for the link on rate coding and motor unit recruitment.

Plenty. It's often said one should be able to squat 1.5 times their body weight before doing plyometric. I'm not entirely convinced of this number per se as gymnasts do plyo their entire lives, but they do a lot of strength and skill work leading up to it to protect the soft tissues and joints.

Additionally, one needs a good supply of strength compared to their body weight in order to accelerate it explosively, be it jumping or pushing something like shotput.
Things to consider for explosive work is rate coding; the ability to recruit higher end motor units more quickly or in a more technical term, more rapid neuronal impulses summated. You cannot hope to do this if one does not have enough strength and ability to recruit more motor units in the first place (See also Henneman's size principle).
As an arbitrary number, if you can only recruit 5 motor units and attempted plyo, you wont get as far as the guy who can recruit 7 motor units.

Strength training allows for us to protect our body and increase power output later when trained specifically for it.

I'll pm you a link on motor control.
I think the 1.5 magical number is thrown around a little too much as well, I think 1x BW squat at the minimum is fine, but it would also depend on the exercise as well. eg. Depth jumps vs box jump

I tend to lift heavier on my first lift when drunk/buzzed. My best pull ever happened after slamming beers at the bar and chugging one in the gym parking lot. I think it takes away any doubt about the lift but can also be more dangerous. Although it only works for me for low rep and heavy, and also after the first lift I'm fucked the rest of the workout. Happens just about every Friday.

~DaViD~

I tend to lift heavier on my first lift when drunk/buzzed. My best pull ever happened after slamming beers at the bar and chugging one in the gym parking lot. I think it takes away any doubt about the lift but can also be more dangerous. Although it only works for me for low rep and heavy, and also after the first lift I'm fucked the rest of the workout. Happens just about every Friday.

~DaViD~
You'd smash PRs every session if you did it everyday

In my experience, as long as the intensity of the eccentrics is regulated, then plyos CAN be safe. Also, motherfucking mechanics. If they can't hinge at the hips or maintain a good knee position, then plyos can be revisited another time.

For instance: bounds forward can have less impact than vertical jumps if both done at similar intensity;
Body weight vertical jumps preceded barbell jumps.

It's all about the foreplay.

I think the 1.5 magical number is thrown around a little too much as well, I think 1x BW squat at the minimum is fine, but it would also depend on the exercise as well. eg. Depth jumps vs box jump

Yeah i don't think you need much more strength for low volume box jumps than "can do a squat"

To add to my previous novice thoughts- I don't think single rep range progression is ideal for novices either. I think DUP from the beginning with some exercise variation is probably superior.

To add to my previous novice thoughts- I don't think single rep range progression is ideal for novices either. I think DUP from the beginning with some exercise variation is probably superior.

DUP?

Different rep ranges daily. Two things that lean me toward this
http://strengtheory.com/in-defense-of-program-hoppers-dup-revisited/

Also, Sheiko's novice program, which features multiple rep ranges (singles, sets of 3, sets of 4, 5, 6 and even 8) using both the competitive movements and close variants over the course of the week
http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Full-Sheiko-Novice-Routine.jpg

Interesting. The psychology he describes is very much how I felt doing T3 (where you cycle each day between 5x10, 5x5 and 5x3). Each day is in some way the worst, so having done it you feel that the next day is somehow easier compared to one of the other days. The general change, and the fact that the top set is the hardest also served to keep you fresh and focused on working hard.

My unpopular S&C opinion.....

People who make excuses for why they don't have to strength train are just being lazy pussies. Literally every other sport requiring powerful athletes has their guys training heavy in the gym. There's always time for both if you're trying to be on top of the game.

Rugby, football, hockey, baseball, basketball, soccer.

Almost of those athletes are seen doing heavy squats/deadlifts at some point in their training cycle.

My unpopular S&C opinion.....

People who make excuses for why they don't have to strength train are just being lazy pussies. Literally every other sport requiring powerful athletes has their guys training heavy in the gym. There's always time for both if you're trying to be on top of the game.

Rugby, football, hockey, baseball, basketball, soccer.

Almost of those athletes are seen doing heavy squats/deadlifts at some point in their training cycle.

I can guarantee you that the majority of professional soccer, basketball, and baseball athletes do not in fact regularly do heavy squats and deadlifts.

I'm not arguing that they wouldn't benefit from doing them, but the majority do not routinely do them as part of their training cycles.

I can guarantee you that the majority of professional soccer, basketball, and baseball athletes do not in fact regularly do heavy squats and deadlifts.

I'm not arguing that they wouldn't benefit from doing them, but the majority do not routinely do them as part of their training cycles.

That's just not true.

Most baseball and basketball players are absolutely doing the major compound lifts. I've seen a few different teams offseason S&C training packages. They don't do them with a huge amount of volume, but they do them. I guarantee you that soccer athletes are doing them too.

Basketball players are; my friend trains a pro team in the area and i occasionally help with rehab. Trust me, dem boys wah squat heavy iron.

That's just not true.

From what I have heard, lifting isn't that popular in the English Premier League. I'd love to hear reliable sources that tell me I am wrong..

I know its not pro but our university soccer team squats/deadlift, though they aren't doing anything that is heavy relative to them really. Lots of high reps and volume work, lot of pre hab and sprint type training with drills.

Back