Unpopular Opinion: Kurt Cobain was a pretentious hack

What does Kurt Cobain's perceived political stance have to do with his ability to write music?

Listened too them alot in my youth.

They were one of the biggest bands of the 90's, but they didn't age well for me. Can't listen too them at all anymore.

Definitely think they're overrated.

Pretentious? What was the pretence?

Manic Street Preachers is much more pretentious in my opinion, with their philosophy from Albert Camus.

...or Alice Donut with the deliberate cultural transgressions of "Untidy Suicides of your Degenerate Children", "Bucketfulls of Sickness and Horror in an Otherwise Meaningless Life" and "Revenge Fantasies of the Impotent".

...or the tortured aesthetic of Lou Reed.

Not pretentious

Blind melon was just as good maybe better

Was never a huge fan, but he took grunge to the masses.
freely admitted that he kinda followed the pixes way of making songs.
He was a mixed up talented lad, who should have stayed right the fuck away from a pretentious hack like courtney love..

As far as grunge and the Seattle sound, they were like 4th in line for me.
soundgarden are one of my fave bends ever, full stop, just are.
then alice in chains obviously.
then pearly jam.
and even then temple of the dog, then nirvana..

Not pretentious at all. He was withdrawn, and never really made any kind of pretentious statements at all.

Hell, what pretentious hacks do you know that offs themselves? Pretentious people would have left a long-winded suicide note too.

Agreed. He was a shallow, depressive, nihilistic pussy.

I always thought his lyrics were pretty 13 year old, and it always seemed like he merely threw 8 poems together and called it a song.

Also, I'm from Grays Harbor, where he is from, and I'm tired of hearing people cum all over the place at mention of his name.

Back