Unpopular metal music opinions

I don't know man. Jeff was the driving force musically for sure and he was very much a fan of hardcore. Slayer demos are pretty raw and sound nothing like Possessed or Venom (two bands I've at points preferred).

I'm a less than casual fan of both Possessed and Venom I must admit but I can hear the influence myself, but it's all opinion of course.

I used to scoff at people that said Heaven and Hell was the best Sabbath album. While I can't say it's my favorite, I can't really say those people are wrong.

Clearly Dio is (I should say was) technically a far better singer than Ozzy but there is something about how Ozzy fits with that band that makes him better. That said the Dio Sabbath stuff is great as well, it's just... different and for mine not Sabbath. I'll always rate Ozzy Sabbath the best era, but no issues with Dio and I do like Rainbow and Dio, it's all good.

Metallica is overrated.
Cliff was a fine bass player but I've listened intently and he was no Jaco. He wasn't a David Ellefson, even.

Kirk is a middling lead player. I personally have known better guitarists.
Agreed on Metallica but Cliff was only 24 when he died so consider how far his playing might have gone if he were alive today. Ellefson is for sure underappreciated.
Dream Theater go too far up their own ass too often.
I dig a lot of DT but I think this is a pretty common opinion. The Astonishing put me straight to sleep.

Never cared much for Pantera. I don't dislike them, they just never did anything for me.
I'm in the same boat. Now go say Dimebag is overrated and you can really piss some people off.
Floor Jansen is the best singer Nightwish has ever had and she is singer #3. She improves almost every song Tarja sung(Wishmaster being the sole exception) and DOES improve every Song Anette sung.

Tarja had amazing titanium vocals and range, but was severely limited in the types of songs she could sing. The band's music got more diverse and better without her.
There are some Tarja holdouts but I think tons of folks would love to hear all the Nightwish catalog re-recorded with Floor.

Production is not a deal breaker for me at all, but It kinda irks me when the bass guitar is buried in the mix. Why have a bass player at all? I've noticed that going in a lot of great metal music.

Back