Unpopular metal music opinions

Megadeth>Metallica

Wait, what? Isn't that more of a popular point of view? It's not that you're getting ridiculed by saying Megadeth > Metallica.

Edit: Sorry, I guess the above quoted post was more of an reply to the ongoing discussion on page 2, which I hadn't read.

Paradise Lost should do another album in the veins of, say, One Second, instead of going "back to the roots".

Iron Maiden sucks.

Ozzy solo is on par with Black Sabbath.

Ronnie James Dio's voice is annoying and didn't fit Black Sabbath at all.

Ronnie James Dio's voice is annoying and didn't fit Black Sabbath at all.
I never quite figured him out. Some of his songs were fantastic, and some I just can't listen to clear through because his voice bothers me.

King Diamond is an awful, overrated singer and Mercyful Fate would have been better of without him.
Swedish Death Metal > American Death Metal (Yes that's Chuck in my AV)
Judas Priest > Iron Maiden
European Metal > American Metal (This one may not be that unpopular in some circles, but I've had people bawk at me)

Too much of the popular European Metal is :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:y chick-Metal bullshit. Exhibit A: Opeth.

Bolt Thrower is worth nearly the entire Death Metal genre.

Fuck At The Gates. But Disfear...

<{anton}>

Megadeth>Metallica
I love Megadeth but they really fucked up by putting those shitty cover songs on their first three albums, they really dilute those albums whereas Metallica's first five albums are nearly flawless.

Paradise Lost should do another album in the veins of, say, One Second, instead of going "back to the roots".
Generally metal fans consider bands going in a more melodic direction selling out but I'm actually the opposite, I think bands going 'back to their roots' are way biggest sell outs than bands who just play whatever they want.

It happens time and time again in metal, band starts off super heavy for 4-5 albums, they start getting older + influenced by different music, go in a less heavy/more melodic direction, fans revolt, band starts making uninspired rip offs of their own music just to please the fans.

Floor Jansen is the best singer Nightwish has ever had and she is singer #3. She improves almost every song Tarja sung(Wishmaster being the sole exception) and DOES improve every Song Anette sung.

Tarja had amazing titanium vocals and range, but was severely limited in the types of songs she could sing. The band's music got more diverse and better without her.

Melodic death metal is only listenable until you're about 16.

Except Carcass. Carcass is awesome.

The roaring and growling make too many otherwise good bands unlistenable.

Melodic death metal is only listenable until you're about 16.

Except Carcass. Carcass is awesome.

You can't listen to Dark Tranquility or Be'lakor?

I know I'm arguing in the wrong thread, since it's about "unpopular opinions" ... but still ...

Too much of the popular European Metal is :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:y chick-Metal bullshit. Exhibit A: Opeth.

Bolt Thrower is worth nearly the entire Death Metal genre.

Fuck At The Gates. But Disfear...

<{anton}>

LOooooooove Bolt Thrower - Cenooooootapppphhhhh

Musically, Slayer is overrated. All they have going for themselves is their dark, demonic, and murderous lyrics.

Last edited:
Musically, Slayer is overrated. All they have going for themselves is their dark, demonic, and murderous lyrics.

I don't think many really believe they are making some hugely complex music. They innovated with a reasonably new sound (think they borrowed a bit from Possessed and Venom) and stuck with it. Kerry can't solo for shit but he can riff.

On topic I don't mind some Anthrax but I think they're a bit silly really a lot of the time.

Floor Jansen is the best singer Nightwish has ever had and she is singer #3. She improves almost every song Tarja sung(Wishmaster being the sole exception) and DOES improve every Song Anette sung.

Tarja had amazing titanium vocals and range, but was severely limited in the types of songs she could sing. The band's music got more diverse and better without her.

Totally agree with this!

Black metal these days is just Bad Religion with a double bass pedal and a dude making strange noises.

Back