Unleashing The Beast Within

Thanks, bro.

I saw you did 45x5 the other day. At this point, 50x5 is pretty much up for grabs.

We're doing this with a video submission, right? What will the rules be to judge if a rep is full ROM?

Whatever happens, it's the abs who are the real winners.

I wasn't planning on video, but it would be more fun, so alright. Full ROM as stomach touching, or within a cm or few of the ground, to the wheel under the shoulders? With no significant bend in the elbows? Perhaps ask an impartial third party to judge?

Didn't realize you were throwing! Awesome :)

I used to love throwing discus. Shotput has more carryover to Scottish Highland Games for me though. Are you throwing shot too? Or just discus & javelin?

I'm doing a semester of throws at school. I never cared much for them, but I've come to like them a fair bit now that I've got exposed to them.

I did about a month of shot putting and a month of discus, and now just started on the javelin. I also did a short hammer throw session and absolutely loved it, but unfortunately that is not in the class curriculum.

The shot put was a bit hard for me, tbh. I had a bit of trouble at the last phase where, after the glide and once you've assumed the power position, you have to first push with the right leg and then turn while blocking the left foot. I would just turn right away (which is probably why the discus came much more naturally to me) and/or not properly block. That, plus the fact that my pressing strength is @@ and I felt like the strength of my right arm couldn't keep up with the power already generated by the rest of my body when the time came to push the shot.

But yeah, the discus throw is awesome. I'm considering buying a discus so I can throw every now and then after the semester is over.

Everything's looking good, man. Race to 100 kg SOHP ?

Thanks, kid.

100 kg SOHP will likely be a multi-year endeavor for me. I'll probably set 90 kg as the end-of-the-year goal for 2013. Sorry to disappoint ya on this one.

Whatever happens, it's the abs who are the real winners.

I wasn't planning on video, but it would be more fun, so alright. Full ROM as stomach touching, or within a cm or few of the ground, to the wheel under the shoulders? With no significant bend in the elbows? Perhaps ask an impartial third party to judge?

Cool! Stomach touching/almost touching the ground + no significant elbow flexion sounds like a fair rule to me.

Creative Movement Class
A bunch of movement stuff (including rolls, cartwheels, carries, etc.).
Stayed for ~20 mins after class to procrastinate with gymnastics stuff. Landed my first couple of semi-legit front flips. Still having trouble with the backflip. Held a handstand for 10+ seconds.

...at the S&C place:

Box Jumps (95 cm box)
BW x 3 x 3

Power Cleans
70/80/85/90 x 2

Squats (low-bar)
160 x 1
150 x 3/3/5
100 x 10

Good Mornings
95 x 6
102.5 x 6
102.5 x 8

+ a few 10 m sprints

Front/back flips is something I've been sort-of working on and off for a while now ("on and off", as in: I'll do 15-20 mins of work for two days close together, then not do anything for another month or two, then do 3-4 attempts at some other random day and so on). Landed these on a mat placed in the foam pit, so not exactly the same as landing them on solid ground (will need to work on them before attempting to land them on the ground). With the back flips, still always do them on top of a mat in the foam pit and for the life of me I can't get any sort of elevation jumping off of that thing (when I attempt to jump, the mat and foam things just compress under me) but I'm too much of a pussy to try them on normal ground. The 10+ second handstand was probably the longest I've ever held a handstand. Healthy knees and shoulders ftw!

Other than that, it was the first day since the gym meet that my CNS felt sort of ok during training. Power cleans were ok; form on the second 90 kg rep was pretty decent (up to now, when getting near 90 kg form tended to turn to shit). Squats were slowish, but felt much better than on Monday. Looking forward to doing some heavy work; very curious to see how my previous rep maxes will feel once I work back up to them.

Flip attempts (including a front flip fail where I landed right on my ass):

Also, here is a pic I took tonight:
G1q2p.jpg

You'll never survive the winter like that. Quickly, eat some Christmas baking and chocolate.

Hey! your becoming way to atheltic now. Stick to heavy squatting and deadlifting!
I always wanted to do a front flip or back flip, but I have no place to try it. All those gymnastic gyms here are so damn secret and hard to get into. And I really have no reason other than looking cool

Not that I know anything about flipping, but It looks like there's quite an amount of forward motion in your front flip. I think its easier If you jump more vertically and less horizontally.

Oh, and dont post pictures like that while im doing the no-fap challange!

Jaunty should check this, I think this could win you that jauntypoint

Thanks for the fap material :D

I understand about the backflips, doing them in an area with copious padding is one thing. Doing them on solid ground is another story entirely. I actually have a harder time getting enough rotation on the front flip to land on my feet. Usually end up on my ass; lulz ensue.

First all, You sexy sunofabeetch. Second, You should just do flips on grass and cement. That's when falling on your ass sucks. I'm speaking from experience.

Creative Movement Class
A bunch of movement stuff (including rolls, cartwheels, carries, etc.).
Stayed for ~20 mins after class to procrastinate with gymnastics stuff. Landed my first couple of semi-legit front flips. Still having trouble with the backflip. Held a handstand for 10+ seconds.

...at the S&C place:

Box Jumps (95 cm box)
BW x 3 x 3

Power Cleans
70/80/85/90 x 2

Squats (low-bar)
160 x 1
150 x 3/3/5
100 x 10

Good Mornings
95 x 6
102.5 x 6
102.5 x 8

+ a few 10 m sprints

Front/back flips is something I've been sort-of working on and off for a while now ("on and off", as in: I'll do 15-20 mins of work for two days close together, then not do anything for another month or two, then do 3-4 attempts at some other random day and so on). Landed these on a mat placed in the foam pit, so not exactly the same as landing them on solid ground (will need to work on them before attempting to land them on the ground). With the back flips, still always do them on top of a mat in the foam pit and for the life of me I can't get any sort of elevation jumping off of that thing (when I attempt to jump, the mat and foam things just compress under me) but I'm too much of a pussy to try them on normal ground. The 10+ second handstand was probably the longest I've ever held a handstand. Healthy knees and shoulders ftw!

Other than that, it was the first day since the gym meet that my CNS felt sort of ok during training. Power cleans were ok; form on the second 90 kg rep was pretty decent (up to now, when getting near 90 kg form tended to turn to shit). Squats were slowish, but felt much better than on Monday. Looking forward to doing some heavy work; very curious to see how my previous rep maxes will feel once I work back up to them.

Also, here is a pic I took tonight:
G1q2p.jpg

Mirin dat ab definition:D I noticed you don't do any deadlifts. Is there a reason for or are power clean a better alternative?

Mirin dat ab definition:D I noticed you don't do any deadlifts. Is there a reason for or are power clean a better alternative?

He's still a fuggin' cripple despite what he says.

Hugxkisses, Miaou.

You'll never survive the winter like that. Quickly, eat some Christmas baking and chocolate.

..OR I could just wear an extra layer of clothes. :icon_chee

Hey! your becoming way to atheltic now. Stick to heavy squatting and deadlifting!
I always wanted to do a front flip or back flip, but I have no place to try it. All those gymnastic gyms here are so damn secret and hard to get into. And I really have no reason other than looking cool

My "athletic urges" had been oppressed for a pretty long time. I'm just happy I can do more stuff again. Even though I'm "not 20 anymore", I think I'll be able to get to a higher level of "general athleticism" than before, now that my posture, general motor patterns and overall body awareness have improved significantly.

A simple front/back flip isn't that hard, really. You just need to have some half-decent level of movement awareness, a place to train and somebody who is willing to show you how it's done. Still cool to do it.

Not that I know anything about flipping, but It looks like there's quite an amount of forward motion in your front flip. I think its easier If you jump more vertically and less horizontally.

Oh, and dont post pictures like that while im doing the no-fap challange!

Yeah, I realize that. But realizing it and doing it properly are two separate things. :) I really should practice these more, but it feels like I have way too much in my plate right now and sort-of trying to do everything at once.

Oh, and did you really think it was a coincidence that, after all these years, I posted nudz right after you announced your no-fap persuasion?

ohhhhhhh hai

homer_drooling.gif

:icon_chee

Jaunty should check this, I think this could win you that jauntypoint

He most certainly should. :icon_chee

Thanks for the fap material :D

I understand about the backflips, doing them in an area with copious padding is one thing. Doing them on solid ground is another story entirely. I actually have a harder time getting enough rotation on the front flip to land on my feet. Usually end up on my ass; lulz ensue.

Dunno, man. The idea of doing a backflip on solid ground sounds much more intimidating to me than doing a front flip. I mean, a front flip is basically just a jump and a forward roll.

First all, You sexy sunofabeetch. Second, You should just do flips on grass and cement. That's when falling on your ass sucks. I'm speaking from experience.

Lulz. This may or may not happen at some point in the future. It's isn't going to happen until I feel I've really mastered them in the gymnastics room, though.

Falling on your ass on cement really doesn't sound like a good deal.

Thanks, man.

I haven't been working on DLs due to health issues. I plan to reintroduce them sooner or later.

Btw, you don't have to quote an entire log post of mine to comment on it, as it clogs up the log. Not a big deal, just sayin'.

He's still a fuggin' cripple despite what he says.

Hugxkisses, Miaou.

A fuggin' cripple is going to kick your ass to that beltless 190: this holiday season at a theater near you.

Kissesxhugs, bleph.

I was agreeing about being scared to try a backflip on a solid surface. Landing on my ass due to poor rotation vs landing on my knees or my knees buckling trying to backflip, I pick my tush.

I'm too fat for that currently, so it's moot.

I iz just 'mirin, bruh.

^ Ah, ok gotcha, I misread that! Thanks, breh :icon_chee

Throws Class
600 m jog/slow-run + a bunch of other warmup stuff
15-20 javelin throws, most of them from the last 3 steps
6 discus throws
10-15 hammer throws (6 kg), most of them with only 1 spin

Power Snatches
50 x 2

SOHP
68 x 1 x 4

Seated Cable Rows
50 x 12 x 4

DB Flies
12.5 x 13/15/15

DB Hammer Curls
15 x 15 x 3

Band Pullaparts
MB x 15 x 3

The javelin throws were much much better than they were on Monday. Still having problems with shoulder flexibility, proper block/leg push/pelvic turn at the power position and generally putting it all together, but I got a couple of somewhat decent throws that I was pretty happy about. I only got 6 discus throws in, just for kicks, and then fooled about with the hammer. It's pretty tricky doing a proper spin and landing on a good position for the throw. Elbows were a bit sore after the hammer throws.

My entire body felt pretty tired after that; I briefly considered postponing lifting for tomorrow. Everything in the gym felt heavy. Power snatches felt entirely off so I cut them short. The 3rd and 4th SOHP single were super hard, at a weight I've done may times before. Basically, I had no business being in the gym this evening. Oh well, you live and learn.

Well you can try wearing an extra layer or two, but if you suddenly stop posting, I'll know what happened. Plus it's not as tasty.

Well you can try wearing an extra layer or two, but if you suddenly stop posting, I'll know what happened. Plus it's not as tasty.

Lol.

Truth is I just don't eat any sweats/chocolate at all. Basically, since my surgery in June 09 I've cut all sugar from my diet.

I like your newd.

Thanks, brah!

Box Squats
60 x 5 x 6

Seated Single-leg Leg Curls
30/35/35/35 x 10

Ab-wheel Rollouts
20/30/40 x 5
47.5 x 5 + 20 x 10

Light lower-body session today. Was still feeling very tired and have been sore since yesterday so I did whatever work I felt like.

Speed on the box squats was good, but I don't think I'd be able to maintain it with significantly heavier weights. 60 kg is only 32% of my squat max (haven't tested my box squat max), but I think I'll just have to suck it up and use this as my starting point to try to improve my squatting speed.

47.5 kg rollout reps not to full ROM.

Haven't you heard the raw dawgs say that box squats don't help raw lifters? You're wasting your time.

Back