United Nations official visiting Alabama to investigate 'great poverty and inequality'

So is it or is it not a shitty state??

It is always near the bottom if not the Bottom in scholastic testing and a state full of beggars because they are always claiming more federal aid than what they produce in federal taxes. basically I am (and every other tax payers in states that give more than receive federal taxes)paying for their shitting management year in and year out..

Lol. You do understand who these beggars are you are speaking of?

Read the articles posted dude.

So you are essentially saying statistically black people are beggars and shitty.

Gotcha bro

That's an interesting perspective because Delaware and Alabama have the same percentage of fatherless children. West Virginia and Rhode Island are almost the same as Alabama. Yet they don't have the same problems as Alabama.

Perhaps you're missing the core problem? Which is that Southern states made a concerted effort following the Civil War and again following the Civil Rights Era to assert their independence from the federal government by not providing services to their residents, especially in public schools. Over time, it has hollowed out those states' ability to prepare their entire population to be competitive on the economic stage.

It shouldn't be surprising that many southern states are in the bottom quintile when it comes to early education.

For comparison sake, both Rhode Island and Delaware are in the top quintile for early education (yet the same rate of fatherless children) while West Virginia is right there with Alabama.

So what you're seeing down there is that what was originally a method of defying the federal government has led to long term intellectual and economic impoverishment of the entire state that hurts everyone who lives there.

Yeah, no. It's the family structure and influence.

If you put kids in 4 walls, with a desk, and a teacher willing to teach, who come from decent families with both parents being decent positive influences, they would act right and make that room a decent school.

You put time into your posts now, and they look very nice. But you are still pretending there is some huge difference in the money allocated to schools in different areas (there really isn't) that is the cause in the different behavior patterns that result in worse test scores and other issues. If you put the same kids, with the same parents, in the most beautiful school in the world, I agree it would make a bit of a difference, for a while, but the change at home has to come at home.

Which doesn't change anything about what I said.

Actually it does. States that have a larger population will have more problems.

Just as states with larger minority populations will have more problems

Actually it does. States that have a larger population will have more problems.

Just as states with larger minority populations will have more problems

Which doesn't change anything about what I said. He was speaking about fatherlessness. The percentages are the same. So, it's not "fatherlessness" that is at the root of Alabama's problems.

You might argue larger states have more problems or your suggested minorities are the problem but, in both cases, you're no longer arguing "fatherlessness" Of course, the minorities argument wouldn't explain West Virginia which, despite a very small minority population (they have less than 2 million people total and less than 4% are black) has the same fatherlessness rates and shitty early education outcomes.

Last edited:
Lol. You do understand who these beggars are you are speaking of?

Read the articles posted dude.

So you are essentially saying statistically black people are beggars and shitty.

Gotcha bro

If it is about blacks in Alabama Then why are they so poor and uneducated compared to the rest of the country’s blacks?

The answer is obvious. Alabama is a shit state that provide less support and opportunities for a black person to succeed.

I travel to Alabama on a regular basis for work and I drive through some really poor areas and have spoken to workers in the area so yeah I have seen how poor and uneducated they can be.

If it is about blacks in Alabama Then why are they so poor and uneducated compared to the rest of the country’s blacks?

The answer is obvious. Alabama is a shit state that provide less support and opportunities for a black person to succeed.

I travel to Alabama on a regular basis for work and I drive through some really poor areas and have spoken to workers in the area so yeah I have seen how poor and uneducated they can be.
I think the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." Bout sums it up.

I think the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." Bout sums it up.

You are assuming they are being led to the same place in the same way which they are most certainly not.

How do we fix it? Alabama and Mississippi need complete educational system overhauls and they need actual economic opportunities for their residents. They have shit tier schools and few jobs with any upward mobility. This runs across the state, all counties, all demographics.
But them states rights tho'.

You can spend all the money you want on education, if your students aren't motivated it wont matter.

Education spending has gone way up, at an all time high now. Test scores have remained the same.

If your students don't have the motivation to work hard and educate themselves then spending more money simply wont matter. Plus with the internet now, education is literally clicks away. I think it's pretty obvious that people simply aren't interested in education to a certain degree.

Lol at the people in here not even realizing who they are talking about.

Ask this guy:
All I'm saying is that in Chicago you've got a rich liberal ruling class and then you go 2 train stops away and a hundred people get shot over a long weekend. The UN should investigate the democratic party for human rights violations. Sad.

You can spend all the money you want on education, if your students aren't motivated it wont matter.

Education spending has gone way up, at an all time high now. Test scores have remained the same.

If your students don't have the motivation to work hard and educate themselves then spending more money simply wont matter. Plus with the internet now, education is literally clicks away. I think it's pretty obvious that people simply aren't interested in education to a certain degree.

I totally get what you're saying, and agree to an extent, but not ALL of these kids are failures because of a lack of motivation. Additionally, there are probably lots of kids that are unmotivated because of a lack of opportunity, sufficient teaching etc. To blame poor results on the kids seems like kind of a cop out to me, honestly. A lot of successful people I know can point to someone in their youth that inspired them, whether it be a teacher or a sports coach, or whomever. A lack of funding does not attract those people.

Pretty sure it doesnt take much money to prevent hookworm. Just some proper sanitation.

Some of the people posting in this thread are dumb

Just Plain 'ol dumb. There is no nice way of putting it.

They should start a lottery for Pre K funding and scholarships (like the HOPE in Georgia).

Back