Unions brace for Supreme Court Janus decision: RULING= "Right to Work" Law of the Land, Unions Lose

Have you considered that some people don't think "union benefits" are worth it? I personally have no use for spam e-mails, and I certainly don't want to pay for them.

This whole "we know what's good for you, so shut up and pay" mantra will be the death of the Left.
Lots of word salads out of you, where you say nothing hoping to e-fight and posture. You don't appear to be worth my time, except to let you know that you're not worth my time.

With you, no. You're not worth my time anymore. You're insane, and you're a piece of shit human being.

Homer, can we maybe leave the personal animus out and just debate ideas? We live in an age where activists are sniping Republican congressmen as they play baseball, and protesters are harassing our public servants as they eat. I understand you want the country to be run a certain way. But this sort of far-Left anger and hatred... it's hurting our country. Can we be civil?

Lots of word salads out of you, where you say nothing hoping to e-fight and posture. You don't appear to be worth my time, except to let you know that you're not worth my time.

Fawlty... I'm speechless. Is that really the way you feel? Just because we disagree about the continued utility of public sector unions doesn't mean we can't talk it out. We're never going to get anywhere if we can't come together and solve problems via civil discourse.

Homer, can we maybe leave the personal animus out and just debate ideas? We live in an age where activists are sniping Republican congressmen as they play baseball, and protesters are harassing our public servants as they eat. I understand you want the country to be run a certain way. But this sort of far-Left anger and hatred... it's hurting our country. Can we be civil?

I support his growing anger. The quicker we stop pretending this conflict is still within the possibility of resolution through civil discourse, the quicker we can all go our separate ways with seperate governances.

We can be civil, as in, you and I. But, no, I won't be civil with everyone.

There is nothing civil about far right conservative orthodoxy.

reading topics like these remind me how great it would be to have a War Room throwback meeting.
Old vale tudo rules only.
Make it happen Dana!

Wow. Really combative and throwing the expletives around today. Did you hide your morning meds under the pillow again? You know what's going to happen when the nurses find out.

I'm totally heuristcating to this post right now.

Tomorrow is the last day of the Supreme Court term and there is one last major last case to be ruled on. That is Janus. I just can't wait friends. This has been an exciting term this year. The entry of Neil Gorush really shook thing up. I've noticed that the Court has only ruled on thing when absolutely necessary this term but I don't see a way for the Court to get out of the merits on this one. The conventional wisdom here is a GOP win 5-4 but I don't know Kennedy has been acting pretty conservative recently and he does not like to act that way for a long stretch. We could see a upset.

https://www.marketplace.org/2018/06/25/economy/unions-brace-supreme-court-janus-ital-decision

This was a tiny little byline on my usual preferred news outlet, so I'm glad you made a thread about it. Really enjoy these SCOTUS updates.
{<redford}

Sometimes I think about the time before public sector unions. I think about the old "fat cat" bosses, exploiting workers and generally making life miserable for wage slaves. I imagine they were alot like Dana White – rude, disrespectful, and sometimes very unfair. There's a reason we have unions. I am mindful of that, even as I cheer this ruling.

But it's clear now that unions have their own drawbacks. The conventional conservative wisdom is that unions promote unaccountability for workers. They protect bad workers (including lawbreakers) from being terminated. This has led to the perception of government workers, such as public school teachers, DMV clerks, and FBI agents, as being incompetent fools who are juicing taxpayers for a free ride. In the private sector, the overall effect of unions is to hamstring and chase out businesses which provide jobs in the first place.

So aside from all the First Amendment stuff, I'm very happy about this. Unions needed to be put in their place. And as for the First Amendment, I never understood how it was lawful for unions to garnish dues which went almost exclusively to partisan political projects.

This has the potential to be very very bad. You pay your share, the Union has your back. That's how it works.

It says he chose not to join the union. So, no union fees. Maybe I'm too well educated to understand unions.

We can be civil, as in, you and I. But, no, I won't be civil with everyone.

There is nothing civil about far right conservative orthodoxy.

I think you should endeavor to be civil with everyone, even when they're not. When they go low, you go high.

No one should be forced to join organization or pay any due without consent. That's the heart of the matter. If you want union representation, go for it, but don't force it upon others.

It says he chose not to join the union. So, no union fees. Maybe I'm too well educated to understand unions.
By taking the job he is benefiting from the work of the Union. And will continue to benefit from their work without paying dues. Don't want to join a Union? No problem, don't apply for a Union job.

I support his growing anger. The quicker we stop pretending this conflict is still within the possibility of resolution through civil discourse, the quicker we can all go our separate ways with seperate governances.

We can resolve our disputes through civil discourse. Remember, the Left is full of kind-hearted people who want to make the world a better place, even though their ideas are incorrect. Eventually they will see that the best way to do that is to support our awesome president and the USA. The Left is just lashing out right now because the pain of rejection. They are humiliated that America said "No." All this "resistance" is they are masturbating themselves dry, like bitter incels in the dark on prom night. But eventually, the rage will subside, and they will admit that they were wrong. It's all part of growing up.

By taking the job he is benefiting from the work of the Union. And will continue to benefit from their work without paying dues. Don't want to join a Union? No problem, don't apply for a Union job.
Union has no right to deny employers potential employees or keep individuals for obtaining a job. Negotiate for your own members and let non-union staff negotiate their own pay directly.

Conservatards cheer the destruction of Unions as they complain about the decline of the middle class, American non millionaire Conservatives are dumbest creatures in existence.

I’m a conservative and union member/supporter. Who specifically are you referencing?

Yeah, that's worked out really well for the left in the U.S.

On the contrary, the Left has rarely espoused civil discourse over activism. The only civil tactic I've seen is to shut off debate by closing the Overton window on non-Leftist views. That's not civil discourse. Part of Trump's strategy was to say basic truths and watch the Left overreact. If you had engaged him and stated a logic counterargument... well, we wouldn't need Donald Trump.

On the contrary, the Left has rarely espoused civil discourse over activism. The only civil tactic I've seen is to shut off debate by closing the Overton window on non-Leftist views. That's not civil discourse. Part of Trump's strategy was to say basic truths and watch the Left overreact. If you had engaged him and stated a logic counterargument... well, we wouldn't need Donald Trump.
No offense, but I'm not going to dignify this crap with a response. If you actually think it's the left that has been uncivil in the U.S., you're beyond help.

Union has no right to deny employers potential employees or keep individuals for obtaining a job. Negotiate for your own members and let non-union staff negotiate their own pay directly.
The only reason that job was as attractive as it was is because of the work of the Union. It's not like it was a new non-unionised position.

Back