Underground fighting (like in the movies)

KennisTheMenace**

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was clicking through YouTube and I came up on this movie "Blood and Bone" which is a fun story, like other fighting movies. Has anyone ever witnessed an Underground fight?

We used to have those on a weekly basis in high school. You'll also see lots of them in backyards and garages on YouTube these days.

Reality ain't half as cool as the movies LOL.

I am surprised there were not more of those before UFC first came out. I guess the striking just be more entertaining is true, and since you already have legal boxing, there never was a need for underground fights even if it had different rulesets.

But then I wonder why they don't have underground illegal tournies for medieval weapon fighting. Yeh, you have the SCA, but those guys are kinda boring with no blood or death. You think there would be huge market for something like that since it is kinda like snuff but taken to a sportive format.

Mostly they are just schoolyard brawls nowadays, but i really love sparring outside in an urban area pretending im a Tekken character lol

I am surprised there were not more of those before UFC first came out. I guess the striking just be more entertaining is true, and since you already have legal boxing, there never was a need for underground fights even if it had different rulesets.

But then I wonder why they don't have underground illegal tournies for medieval weapon fighting. Yeh, you have the SCA, but those guys are kinda boring with no blood or death. You think there would be huge market for something like that since it is kinda like snuff but taken to a sportive format.
"In Poland, they have a knight fighting club."
And it's not underground either LOL.

hqdefault.jpg

I participated in these underground battles in High School that we called "kick fighting" where you could only kick your opponent to the legs. We had a 3 knockdown rule and sometimes had ring outs as part of the rules depending on where the fight took place. We would fight in this remote corner of the school (nearly got in trouble for that) and later outside of school in the grass at select locations in town.

I heard rumors of other organized fights. One friend told me they would fight on a trampoline and punch each other full force with Sock'em boppers. Another said that the Lacrosse team used to have organized no-rules brawls after practice. Another kid said he and some friends would fight with Boxing gloves. I've also had some submission grappling matches with friends who were fans of MMA.

I've never seen street fighting in real life as hardcore as what you see in Blood and Bone. I talked to a Martial Arts master at a social gathering who did say that he was aware of such activity in the area where we lived and that you had to pay to witness these street fights but I never got around to looking at it.

There's plenty of videos on Youtube of course of underground street fighting.

Last edited:
what is more interesting is maybe on east europe or east asia some mafia gang probably make this ZERO rules tournaments on very private circles, that even if you pay you wont pass because you need an invitation from a person from that circle. that would be cool to see!

I've had guys fight in some pretty sketchy clubs/bars before. Sure there was a cage and a "ref" along with a general set of rules, but it was FAR from sanctioned.

These things are out there. Just if you are a generally law bidding citizen, you probably don't hear about them beyond the mostly legal "tough-man fights" sometimes organized by bars.

I was in my local Gym (LA Fitness) here in Miami working on the heavy bag a few months back, and this big dude came up to me and asked me if I would be interested in an underground fighting tournament. He said you can make around a grand a fight. According to him, he was doing it full time for a year and netted close to 100 grand... tax free of course. In the process, he really fucked himself up though in terms of knee injuries, back and jaw injuries. He said since I had formal training knowledge, the promoter would be able to market me extremely well and I could make a killing. He gave me the promoters contact information and everything. I never did follow through though.

Underground fighting is big down here. This is where Kimbo Slice got his start after all. That guy made a fortune working the backyard circuit, prior to his MMA career.

It's a closed off society. You have to know someone that knows someone in order to be a part of that scene.

It's a closed off society. You have to know someone that knows someone in order to be a part of that scene.

Yep just like most illegal activities.

Never did underground fighting or seen it. But like earlier posts when young in school did fighting with sticks in the woods with other kids. Not karate type fighting with sticks though it was a rather hill-billy afair

This is badass

Yeah, that's insane. I saw some uppercuts and knees from the clinch and a headbutt. Those guys didn't look like they were holding back much if at all. Also laughed at the 1:48 mark where the guy with the giant battle axe lets loose with an overhead swing straight down on some poor guy who was completely unprepared for it. Also lol at the guys crashing through the barriers and continuing to fight full bore.

Edit: replying in reference to the youtube vid in post #5. Far as an underground fight, not really unless you count the kind of stuff that happens in high school. Was in the USMC for 4 yrs after high school and it was kind of expected that a random fight would break out during a bonfire on the beach, just 'cause that's the kind of stuff that young drunk guys do. Nobody was in a hurry to step in but never got out of control either.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's insane. I saw some uppercuts and knees from the clinch and a headbutt. Those guys didn't look like they were holding back much if at all. Also laughed at the 1:48 mark where the guy with the giant battle axe lets loose with an overhead swing straight down on some poor guy who was completely unprepared for it. Also lol at the guys crashing through the barriers and continuing to fight full bore.

Concussion city, man! :icon_lol:
Anybody rocking a sword for those events is a womanly chump; battleaxes, maces, and other heavy smashy weapons are where it's at LOL!

Fuck that. I just need my armour. I am the weapon.

I was in my local Gym (LA Fitness) here in Miami working on the heavy bag a few months back, and this big dude came up to me and asked me if I would be interested in an underground fighting tournament. He said you can make around a grand a fight. According to him, he was doing it full time for a year and netted close to 100 grand... tax free of course. In the process, he really fucked himself up though in terms of knee injuries, back and jaw injuries. He said since I had formal training knowledge, the promoter would be able to market me extremely well and I could make a killing. He gave me the promoters contact information and everything. I never did follow through though.

Underground fighting is big down here. This is where Kimbo Slice got his start after all. That guy made a fortune working the backyard circuit, prior to his MMA career.

Yeh Kimbo is what immediately came to mind when I was writing this post. I always wondered the back story about that, I didn't realize the underground fight scene was big in Miami and how it's an activity that requires you being a part of the "underworld" to attend, but it makes sense why I don't hear about them, I'm certainly not in the streets like that.

Yes, I have seen a few in China. Lots of money being bet, lots of smoke and terribly matched fights. Its pretty fun but usually really, REALLY sketchy...

Back