Underappreciated champions of this era

theranch

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
With the upcoming Anthony Crolla fight i thought i would start off with former 3 weight world champion Ricky Burns-41-6-1 (14 KO) the guy is one the third 3 weight world champion from the UK and the first from Scotland. Has lost to the likes of Crawford Indongo and Figueroa but has never been stopped. Any other underappreciated champions in the current game? I'm not talking about world class but underappreciated by the mainstream like Rigo I'm talking guys who are a step below but maybe have a fun style or always in a fun fight. Let me know who you come up with!

I think Kazuto Ioka has really flown under the radar since his loss to Ruenroeng, which is a shame, cause the kid is really skilled and has a really strong resume; some of the best body punching and punch placement of the lower weight classes recently.

I think people are already forgetting that Mares went through a murderers row a while back, his resume is stacked.

Masamori Tokuyama is almost totally forgotten but he has the best jab I think I've ever seen at 115.

Gerry Penalosa was really skilled too and has some good fights.

Nishioka was a really good fighter but most seem to remember him for getting stomped vs Donaire.

Celestino Caballero fell short of expectations but he should still be remembered as a handfull for any 122er in history.

Yoan Pablo Hernandez was a really good fighter who had his career curtailed by injuries unfortunately.

Pongsaklek Wonjongkam is an easy call to for me. Very few have that kind of dominance and well rounded skillset.

Joan Guzman will go down as a waist of talent, but a really dangerous, skilled fighter nonetheless. A total bogeyman.

I think Kazuto Ioka has really flown under the radar since his loss to Ruenroeng, which is a shame, cause the kid is really skilled and has a really strong resume; some of the best body punching and punch placement of the lower weight classes recently.

I think people are already forgetting that Mares went through a murderers row a while back, his resume is stacked.

Masamori Tokuyama is almost totally forgotten but he has the best jab I think I've ever seen at 115.

Gerry Penalosa was really skilled too and has some good fights.

Nishioka was a really good fighter but most seem to remember him for getting stomped vs Donaire.

Celestino Caballero fell short of expectations but he should still be remembered as a handfull for any 122er in history.

Yoan Pablo Hernandez was a really good fighter who had his career curtailed by injuries unfortunately.

Pongsaklek Wonjongkam is an easy call to for me. Very few have that kind of dominance and well rounded skillset.

Joan Guzman will go down as a waist of talent, but a really dangerous, skilled fighter nonetheless. A total bogeyman.
This is exactly the kind of response i was looking for i have heard of a few of the names but not all so by the sounds of it i have some fun fights to go away and watch.

Jesus Soto Karass is in a fun fight more often than not. He should stop taking beatings, though. Same goes with Alfredo Angulo, but I think he's retired.

Slightly before this era, but Corey Spinks is someone that came to mind. He's a bit different than some of the other choices in that he was American and he fought in some high profile fights. Yet despite being a two time champ and beating guys like Mayorga and Judah, he was never brought seriously into discussions about being the next great American fighter and there were not the calls to have him as a test for De La Hoya and Mayweather the way there was for guys in his weight and accomplishment band, like Mayorga, Judah, Paul Williams and Antonio Margarito.

Winky wright. This guy should be in GOAT conversations....stellar resume and literally one of the most ducked fighters of all time

Tim Bradley

Carlos baldomir

Rigo

Slightly before this era, but Corey Spinks is someone that came to mind. He's a bit different than some of the other choices in that he was American and he fought in some high profile fights. Yet despite being a two time champ and beating guys like Mayorga and Judah, he was never brought seriously into discussions about being the next great American fighter and there were not the calls to have him as a test for De La Hoya and Mayweather the way there was for guys in his weight and accomplishment band, like Mayorga, Judah, Paul Williams and Antonio Margarito.
Good answer im not really sure why he never got to that next level but then again i have only seen his fights with Judah

Winky wright. This guy should be in GOAT conversations....stellar resume and literally one of the most ducked fighters of all time

Tim Bradley

Carlos baldomir

Rigo
Winky Wright is a great choice he forever earned my respect when he clowned a still great Shane Mosley.

Bradley seemed to take a big hit from the whole Pacman scandal which is a shame

I don't know much about Baldomir so he's one i will have to go back and watch

Winky Wright is a great choice he forever earned my respect when he clowned a still great Shane Mosley.

Bradley seemed to take a big hit from the whole Pacman scandal which is a shame

I don't know much about Baldomir so he's one i will have to go back and watch

Baldomir is more of an underdog story, which I'm a sucker for.

Winky wright however, is rarely mentioned . ..even by serious boxing fans...

Casual fans have no idea who this guy was.

Amnat Ruenroeng, Roman Gonzalez (an ATG) made out to be overrated for not doing as well in his 4th weight class where he looked small.

Nonito Donaire (one of the best Flyweights ever).

Baldomir is more of an underdog story, which I'm a sucker for.

Winky wright however, is rarely mentioned . ..even by serious boxing fans...

Casual fans have no idea who this guy was.
Baldomir went 8 years undefeated prior to the Floyd fight and some of that was actually against half decent opposition. Seems like that Zab fight was his peak because he declined pretty fast after that.

Lebedev and huck

Maybe not champion but ppl don't appreciate how good povetkin is

also: Veeraphol Sahaprom. Held the WBC title for like 7 years (two time titlist I believe). His right hand couldn't miss and he beat several quality opponents.

Nana Konadu, Sung Kil-Moon and Santos Laciar aren't form this era, but they are NEVER mentioned as the elite talents they were. Vuyani Bungu was really good too and seems to be forgotten as nothing more than that guy Naz murked.

A lot of guys in the lighter weight divisions come and go while people are busy making threads about Tony Bellew.

ironfist and Tam mentioned a bunch of great guys.

No. God no.

He'd fit into one of the discussions going the other way.
How exactly is he overrated? He's taken out everyone who has ever been a big name or anyone who has beaten the big names. He has cleaned house in dominant fashion.
H2H he's undeniably one of the very, very best Flyweights of all time.
He obviously isn't as good now because he's in the Featherweight divisions and past prime.

If it's undeniable, I can't defeat the argument. You win.

Back