Undefeated 19 yr old prospect Ryan Garcia fighting right now on espn

Great offense. Just a little worried that he didn't move his head of the mark once in that fight, and he jumped straight back 3-4 times. He also keeps his chin up.

edit: hope he doesnt get Amir Khan'ed

Last edited:
yeah that was a bit worrisome.

he'll either fix that double quick or someone will clock him badly.

Yea, a fighter with similar size can step with him as he goes back, and easily over hand him. His face was in the same spot throughout all of his combos. Vargas had a lot of fights, but they must have been at lower weights (to lazy to boxrec right now), since he looked to be dwarfed in there.

He DOES keep his hands up well... but it reminds me so much of Khan. In and out, then straight back with both hands right at the face. Khan stayed to long usually tho, which was his ultimate down fall. This Garcia kid tho wasn't staying to long tho, despite a very over matched opponent. So that is a good sign that it won't be sloppy and stay to long as he progresses.

Thanks for this. Great production from ESPN with that crane camera.
He is really impressive but would like to see how he performs when he hits someone and they don't go down. Also, how he reacts when he's cracked and goes down.

Bud damn he did look impressive last night.

He sure doesn't lack self confidence. Seems quite the bit cocky. But that defense...

Thing about Ryan is he hits so damn hard and is very accurate, Vargas has losses but has never been blown away the way Garcia blew him away.

If gbp handles him well then they might just have themselves another superstar in the making.

He sure doesn't lack self confidence. Seems quite the bit cocky. But that defense...

He's very cocky. Likely because he spars with some of the best at such an early stage in his career; Lomachenko, Linares, Leo Santa Cruz and other titlists. He said he'll box if he has to but he likes to get knockouts and realizes that he won't be able to knock everyone out. He's 5'10 with a 70" to 71" reach. That's good height and a very good reach for a Super Featherweight. It'll be interesting to see if he makes better use of that height & length for increased range. He's a very promising prospect despite his apparent defensive flaws. We just need to see him go 10 rounds now and eventually 12. He's "trusting the process" to work his way up step by step. I see him fighting for a world title sometime next year barring any major setbacks along the way.

Great power & speed, needs to stay far away from Tank Davis for right now until he gets his defense a little bit more figured out - standing there with a guard until the other guy stops punching will get u killed by Tank. Spectacular performance but everything I've seen in that round, due to styles making fights, tells me Tank would steamroll him no problem at this point.

Back