Unconscious Biases

Well what are the solutions then? You guys are so busy shooting holes through my suggestion, what are some of yours other than to just "deal with it"?

Don't act like it doesn't effect you, because there is so much potential human capital going to waste, and for what? So someone feels a peg superior above someone else?

I am willing to bet that if you raised the collective standard of living, then everybody would benefit.

Want a solution? Stop watching the news. And delete Facebook. Free your mind. Embrace reality experienced directly.

Sadly you cant, so dress up like Carlton and hope you dont get mistaken.

Want a solution? Stop watching the news.

Again, in case you missed it the first time I said it...discrimination happens a lot more then it is reported.

Hearing the stories on the news only triggers the stories other people have experienced that have gone unreported.

The fact that these stories are getting such traction is because it resonates with a problem that people are experiencing.

Your idea is to turn off the TV, and the problem goes away. If your solution worked, then why are you responding to this thread?

Last edited:
Aren't people tired of hearing stories of innocent people are being discriminated against?

How does society fix unconscious biases?

what?

biases are good 90% of the time. its how your brain makes decisions when you dont have all of the needed information.

when you arent aware of your biases though, and how your brain works, then it can become a problem at times. if everyone would have a little doubt about whether they are critical thinkers, then that would make us all better critical thinkers. if you ever reach that moment of perceived clarity when you think "im not biased," and "im a great critical thinker," then ironically, youre very vulnerable to be a fool. thats how you check bias. you realize and accept that you are biased, and constantly evaluate yourself.

Again, in case you missed it the first I said it...discrimination happens a lot more then it is reported.

Hearing the stories on the news only triggers the stories other people have experienced that have gone unreported.

The fact that these stories are getting such traction is because it resonates with a problem that people are experiencing.

Your idea is to turn off the TV, and the problem goes away. If your solution worked, then why are you responding to this thread?

People don’t need a reason to be mean to each other. Take away the reason and they will find another reason.

With all the misallocation of resources, wouldn't it be in the best interest of society to at least try and solve it, if not minimize it?

The idea of just "dealing with it", doesn't seem to be working.
In other words. We need to police people's thoughts?

Basically, I think women are more wary around random men than random women because men are more likely to do bad things to them. The way to fix that unconscious bias and others like it is to make them irrational. Men shouldn't rape women as much. However, as long as that discrepancy in violent crime between men and women does exist, you're never going to get rid of unconscious biases by getting mad at women for having rational, working brains.

Last edited:
Yes, there is -- to remove the cause.

I've been mugged 3 times, been in a gas station during an armed robbery, and also a guy attempted to murder me once. All 5 times it was the same age range, gender, and race. I try really really hard not to but there's probably some unconscious bias there now. However, if those things had never happened, I would have no bias at all.

Easy solution stop filling up with gas. Or move out of whatever warzone you live in.

With all the misallocation of resources, wouldn't it be in the best interest of society to at least try and solve it, if not minimize it?

The idea of just "dealing with it", doesn't seem to be working.

IMO these often happen due to various stereotypes that are continually perpetuated by ignorant folks who can't see that they're doing more harm than good. Until the stereotypical behavior goes away we'll get to deal with it.

You can't change the unconscious biases in regular people, you can address it in people who work on behalf of the government via training. Simply making people aware of unconscious bias goes a long way to mitigating its effect on people.

Applying this to police, politicians, HR personnel, etc. will positively impact the unintentional application of biases in government actions.

Corporations could certainly pursue this when it comes to their decision-makers but that's corporate and they can do/not do what they want to address it.

You can't change the unconscious biases in regular people, you can address it in people who work on behalf of the government via training. Simply making people aware of unconscious bias goes a long way to mitigating its effect on people.

Sometimes . . . but in my 23 years working for uncle sam there is nothing more wasteful and boring for employees than this type of training.

This guy wants access to your kids.

Aside from the obvious problem of actually wanting your kids minds to be engineered and dumbed down to fit into some political mold in the education system, it is far easier to do more harm than good when it comes to tinkering with childrens brains.

It ends up being an attempt to insert political biases into children. Just the biases that whoever is financing the engineering project want.

The absurdity and arrogance of 'eliminating bias in humans through conditioning children' leads to a never ending battle against human brains because you can never quite achieve perfection.

Something tells me a society where this is accepted would be one with everyone on anti-depressants.

Last edited:
Sometimes . . . but in my 23 years working for uncle sam there is nothing more wasteful and boring for employees than this type of training.

It may be boring but studies show that it works and it's fairly easy to implement.

Back