Unarmed against a knife. Options and techniques.

If brandishing/ threatening with a knife: teep on leg then run (did it once, saved my ass).

If under attack: two-on-one aka grab his knife hand with both hands (most competent instructors do this; more often than not, this is the default response to prevent stabbing). sweep knife hand to position yourself outside his elbow/ hug area. Then afterwards most instructors advocate their specialty moves based on their styles (usually very flowery), I advocate a simple approach: headbutt the shitface to oblivion. Not very trainable in the gym.

Improvising a weapon from your surroundings is an option. Stick, rock, parking meter, stray cat, etc.

Not a fan of using kicks, you get cut there, you can't run, and if by accident he slices your artery its not going to be good.

Improvising a weapon from your surroundings is an option. Stick, rock, parking meter, stray human, etc.
fixed

Impact weapons that give distance are your friend.

I've dealt with knives a handful of times at work with the PD.

Hit one dude with a 40mm sponge round and then a taser 2x. Then we dog piled him.

Distance gives you time to react to a knife but any knife attacker worth their salt is gonna use it as an ambush weapon, you won't see it until you get stabbed.

Someone brandishing a knife gives you a chance to react a bit more.

The joke with knife fights is the loser dies on the street, the winner dies at the hospital.

Watch some Bas Rutten vids about unarmed vs knife
The most important thing is to control the hand and disarm the attacker. When you see the knife, and have some distance, the defence is easier (still risky AF tho).

Impact weapons that give distance are your friend.

I've dealt with knives a handful of times at work with the PD.

Hit one dude with a 40mm sponge round and then a taser 2x. Then we dog piled him.

Distance gives you time to react to a knife but any knife attacker worth their salt is gonna use it as an ambush weapon, you won't see it until you get stabbed.

Someone brandishing a knife gives you a chance to react a bit more.

The joke with knife fights is the loser dies on the street, the winner dies at the hospital.

You sound much more proficient than the cops in my area in Texas mate lol.

A broom stick worked pretty well for me the one time I had a knife pulled on me.

Smacked the dude square in the wrist of his knife hand and he dropped the knife immediately. I then smacked him across the bridge of his nose.

Fucking junkies.

My advice is to just run, I would have if my kid wasn't with me.

Not a fan of using kicks, you get cut there, you can't run, and if by accident he slices your artery its not going to be good.

fixed

How do you use another human? Do you wrap it with cloth so it packs a bit more oomf?

Do I bash a mofo with another mofo? xD

How do you use another human? Do you wrap it with cloth so it packs a bit more oomf?

Do I bash a mofo with another mofo? xD
If you're lucky, you can find a local manlet, pick him/her up and use them as a shield just like when you pick up the lid of a garbage can. Manlets come with handles. Use them how you please, as a bowling ball, or a bat, its your choice

You run, There is no technique when the other person has a knife, no matter what you do you will likely get cut. I think this was tested many times by law enforcement and the military, they used a marker as a knife.

You might just get lucky and kick the knife out of their hands, but if they get close be ready to be cut.
But running is not always the soundest option. Sometimes you don't have a choice.

Experts also recommend wrapping your coat around one arm for a shield. It's a tactic straight from renaissance sword and knife fighting
My Capoferro book has him wrapping a cape around the arm!

Try not to get stabbed

fixed

If you're wearing carhartts tho then it's okay.

The point of the thread was in situations where you cant run

80% of 'self-defense' gurus make money by running confidence games because 80% of practical self-defense can be fit into a single simple conversation; situational awareness at all times. If you are in a disadvantageous situation and you can't abscond, you fucked up a long time ago.

They run confidence games because it's a lot harder to make money off of just single consultations though; you want repeat business, so you host live action roleplaying for people to enjoy and feel like they are doing stuff and making progress.

Practical combat sports can get repeat business, because most tend to involve facets of martial activity where it's both useful and possible to spend time practicing with liveness.

Practical combat sports don't seem as sexy or comforting as words like 'self-defense' or 'reality based' though, because there are lots of people who don't really know what they want or what they are really asking for, who think they know what they really want and what they are asking for.

They also include more competition from people who know what they are talking about, and have easier and popular methods of getting information on how good someone actually is (competition formats, regular sparring, et cetera), making it harder to rely on bullshit artistry alone as your sole business plan.

Anyone teaching practical combat sports can upgrade themselves to a better than average self-defense instructor with the power of single simple conversation consulting on top.

like if you have someone with you who could not also outrun the perp, otherwise yes you could both run. But if they cant and you had to face and fight then there needs to be a plan and some preparation.
Even if you carry, within a certain range there isn't going to be time to withdraw
Yes maybe you get cut but perhaps you can control where like outside of forearm then try to finish with the other hand.

The simple reality is, if you're trying to tangle with someone who is armed and you are not armed, there is no realistic outcome that does not include you getting stabbed somewhere.

Your only realistic options are, carry your own weapon, or improvise a weapon from your surroundings.

Someone who expects to deal with people who are going to be armed is someone who is going to be armed themselves. Basic common sense. (Which is to say, people like soldiers, security guards, police officers, et cetera.) If they are smart they are going to be teamed up with fellow members of their gang as well, for the benefit of numbers.

There are a few things that can be regularly practiced that can be relevant to such a person, things such as weapon retention against someone getting grabby, balancing for staying on your feet in scuffles, taking down and pinning someone getting unruly, and so on.

Too much, a whole cottage industry in fact, of 'self defense' instruction is done from the perspective or predicated on the assumption of someone who is unarmed or otherwise arbitrarily disempowered in some way, such a momentous presumption that is uncritically accepted as a given for specious reasons.

A big part of that reason is people preying on misleading common people's intuitions for risk management; "we're just focused on considering what the worst case scenario is; if you are prepared for the worst case scenario, everything else is prepared for by default right?".

Not teaching things that people will actually be doing in their actual jobs in actual situations is the real worst case scenario.

Last edited:
I have been stabbed before and what i can say is that it happens so fast. the best thing you can do is run or try and calm the person down but if you are in a position where you have no other alternative, i would suggest closing the distance, attempting to maintain wrist control and neutralizing the attacker with a strike to a vital area, the groin, the eyes, the throat or the nose, there are so many options but i would say that if you have an opportunity to escape, take it

If you're lucky, you can find a local manlet, pick him/her up and use them as a shield just like when you pick up the lid of a garbage can. Manlets come with handles. Use them how you please, as a bowling ball, or a bat, its your choice

Are you a comedy writer? If not, you were on a roll in this thread.

On Topic:

Be a man and Americana that motherfuckers knifehand arm while forcing him to stab his own throat. During this, ask him in a Crispin Glover on American Gods type manner, "Who gets the last laugh now?" and engage in maniacal laughter as he bleeds out.

No, obviously don't do that.

Only time I came across knives, the motherfucker had two because I guess he's some Crocodile Dundee or Eskrima motherfucker. He was gonna attack a lifelong friend of mine but was so out of it on drugs that I was able to sneak up on him and disarm him while depending on a belly to body lock while alternating between the Gable and S grip. He wasn't going anywhere, and definitely not with a life or lives on the line. Then again, not everybody is strong and maybe your knife-wielding opponent isn't weaker than you so don't make that your go to, especially considering I got the drop on him. Only reason I didn't fuck him up, only disarmed him and deescalated the situation is cause we both knew that dude since 6th grade.

I've heard reccomendations that you utilize double wrist control and have him slightly or heavily dragged/stumble into your knee if you aren't flexible enough or have movement restrictive clothing. If it lands right it won't matter if this is to the most sensitive areas of the torso such as the core or on the head such as the button, jaw, temple, or behind the ear.

or if your ability to disarm/strike isn't on point and your grappling is, I've heard you take him to the groud after wringing that arm out with a straight armlock, or kimura/hammerlock to the point that he can't help but release his knife whether or not that arm/wrist is broken, and then choke him out if that's the only way to make the knife/attacker a non-factor as you run away since you might not always be able to throw the knife out of the way depending on where you are and/or how it all goes down.

Again, not everyone is built the same, I'm able to use height, length, and when I'm out of shape: weight advantage. If you're shorter/built like a fire hydrant, I can't really help you, because you're asking about going up against an armed attacker, not unarmed.

Last edited:
If I have my EDC I have time to draw, and if I don’t have time to draw then chances are I want have time to respond/react anyway

In your scenario, I think I'd have to accept the fact that I'm about to get cut, and just go for a takedown or judo throw. He's less likely to focus on stabbing me if he's losing his balance.

Once he's on the ground, I'd stomp his head into Bolivian, or if I ended up on the ground with him, try to control the knife hand via side mount and Americana.

The good thing about fighting a knife weilder is that he will telegraph his attacks. You know he's not going to jab and use combos. He's going to do one of 2 things: attack with his knife hand, or grab with his off hand then attack with the knife hand.

This can give you an advantage because he doesn't know how you'll attack.

Against a drugged up thug I think my chances of survival would be close to 50 percent.

Against a dude with experience in stabbing people in prison, I think my chances probably go down to 20 percent.

If I have my EDC I have time to draw, and if I don’t have time to draw then chances are I want have time to respond/react anyway

A snubnoze double action revolver can be deployed as quickly as a blade. Its just pull out, point and shoot. It really just depends on how you carry it. I guess the bad guy can have the knife or shank up his sleeve. That may give bad guy a slight advantage but you never should get that close to a stranger anyways. If you keep a good 3ft away (which is reasonable, and doable for everyday), and you spot an oncoming attack, you can move away and give yourself just enough space time to pull out snubnoze. And then your advantage is you dont need to make physical contact. The bullet can travel.

A snubnoze double action revolver can be deployed as quickly as a blade. Its just pull out, point and shoot. It really just depends on how you carry it. I guess the bad guy can have the knife or shank up his sleeve. That may give bad guy a slight advantage but you never should get that close to a stranger anyways. If you keep a good 3ft away (which is reasonable, and doable for everyday), and you spot an oncoming attack, you can move away and give yourself just enough space time to pull out snubnoze. And then your advantage is you dont need to make physical contact. The bullet can travel.
where do you live that you can maintain at least 3 ft of space around you at all times? Do you do any shopping in stores? Never had 3ft of space in a check out line.

With a 1911 or any mag fed pistol it’s the same as revolver.
Now I’m sure you’re going to say “but the safety!” First time I qualified in the navy was my first experience shooting a gun and even then I was capable getting the safety off during the process of drawing...

Tueller study is my response to your ‘just move back and then shoot’, are familiar with it?

Back