1. Fresh off her huge victory at UFC Fight Night 105, Randa Markos returns to Sherdog for her second LIVE Q&A, FRIDAY at 3:00 PM EST. Check it out here.
    Dismiss Notice

Uma ultra 16 oz video review | Page 2

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Reviews' started by StRatoCastR, Mar 20, 2016.

1. florinul White Belt

florinul
    Other pictures Poza 5 (2).jpg poza 6 (2).jpg poza 7 (2).jpg poza 8 (2).jpg
    Later edit: thrilled after first training with Ultra!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  2. GFG Green Belt

GFG
    mesh palms don't help when you have a thick liner cover them that's for sure

Minowafanatic likes this.
  3. MEGAhorse Purple Belt

MEGAhorse
    can you spar with the stock ones?

4. iFossil Orange Belt

iFossil
    Hi everyone and StRatoCastR, sorry for hijacking your post.

Since someone has also shared their thoughts here, I just want to do the same, hope you wouldn't mind.

Basically I have just received my pair of Uma ultra, but unfortunately I have to go against everyone's opinion, I am quite the opposite towards the pair of gloves that I have received.

Please keep in mind that my pair are only the stock version, which hopefully are no where near the custom version quality.

The sole reason for me ordering the stock version is that I am about to move houses soon, so a 5-7 weeks waiting time is really not ideal (Or however long the wait time is), also due to the expense on house moving, I'd like to spend a bit less. I thought the white and blue looked okay, so I jumped on to place an order.

First of all my experience with uma, they said they would send me the tracking number after I asked about the delivery time, they never did at the end. However that was fine, they told me it would take less than a week, which was good enough for the least. The delivery and dispatch time were quick I'd give them props for that.

Mine are the 10oz for bag/pad works(Since I am a lightweight).
    [​IMG]
    The first thing I noticed was the strong chemical smell that wasn't very pleasant to me, but not a big deal surely it would go away over time.
    The second thing was the horrible creases on the right gloves.
    [​IMG]
    I think it actually looks better on camera, but anyways this could be the courier's fault, I would give uma the benefit of the doubt here.
    [​IMG]
    The next is they arrive dirty.
    [​IMG]
    Some paint here and there. Still minor stuff, I have owned other gloves that came in the same.
    [​IMG]Then the real problem, the stitching.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Loose thread everywhere, the uma logo printing were also not done greatly,
    Plus it did seems like they started stitching the gloves like 10-20% off the side of the actual back hand.
    [​IMG]
    Which make them look out of shape to the design.

I don't like to be the only that saying bad things about uma, but I have to be honest, the stitching are really all over the place. I thought Hayabusa was bad, but these pair that I have received are even worse, if not the worst stitching on a pair of gloves I have ever owned.

I know I am only purchasing the stock version, supposedly mass produced gloves. I didn't have a high expectation for them, but they actually still scored below...

The last is..
    [​IMG]
    They use dual velcro closure, but unlike custom version(StRatoCastR has) or the hayabusa original, they don't come in with a rubber/plastic tag, they are extremely difficult(close to impossible) to take off by yourself once you put them on, unless you really try digging your finger tips through the other gloves to have have a chance to peel them off.

Comparison to the Hayabausa, I like they are still compact. The wrist support is still amazing, thumb is better and a little longer. Lining is way better than tokushu. The metallic blue is very nice too.
    [​IMG]
    Overall, I have to say I don't recommend the stock version of the uma ultra. It could be just my pair, but they seems very cheaply made, all the minor issues combined together really make this a let down to me. I'd even say despite all the issues with the original tokushu, I'd prefer them over the stock version ultra.

For the same price point or even cheaper, I'd actually prefer many thai brand gloves over them as their hand made craftsmanship are clearly far superior, you get that feeling the thai brand are well made, a product that everything is on point, feel clean and feel "premium", these feel very tacky.

That being said though, I have no opinion on the custom version of uma ultra, I suppose all these issues could be taken care of as a custom pair, I don't know.

This is such a shame, 'cause I had planned to get some customs after I eventually done the house moving, but now I am not so confident..since this is my first attempt with uma.

Lastly, I think I will try to contact them and see if they'd accept returns.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  5. Kick_@ss_Seabass Orange Belt

Kick_@ss_Seabass
    Holly crap man that is one messed up glove you got there. Looks like test gloves of some sort.

Florinul's stock gloves looks amazing, so I think you were just unlucky. Hope UMA will send you another pair.

iFossil likes this.
  6. iFossil Orange Belt

iFossil
    Yes, I have contacted uma and they greatly offered to send me another pair at no cost now and even with a plastic grip for the dual velcro after I requested. Plus they didn't need me to send this pair back.

It was honestly not my intention to make them do this, I was totally fine with a standard return, but they were kind enough to hold up to the 100% satisfaction promise.

Also uma said the lack of plastic tag was to maintain weight for lighter oz gloves, in this case the 10oz.

Anyways, this put the uma ultra back in the list of a side by side comparison review that I am about to do. So far I have: Venum giant 3.0, Fairtex BGV1, Top King Superstar, Twins BGVL6, Hayabusa Tokushu, Fumetsu gloves, Ringside Apex, Uma Ultra.

And some hands on impressions on RDX T9, Pro Box Super Spar, Venum Elite, another Fumetsu, 3X sports, Rival RB11,

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  7. florinul White Belt

florinul
    How they feel hitting the bag? Mine feels great, but they are 16 oz (I have 72 kg).
    Your pair is a little bit different than mine, being full leather and I have a rubber velco grip. Also my pair were not without fault, as I mentioned above. The real test will be how they will stood the test of time.

8. iFossil Orange Belt

iFossil
    'Cause I was planning to return them, as courtesy of returning item in original status, I actually didn't put in any work on them.

But now that they are letting me keep these, I will be sure to test them tomorrow. Will let you know afterward.

And oh yeah! I didn't notice yours were full leather palm at all, that is so much nicer! Exactly what it would make the gloves perfect imo. But uma was already nice enough to sending me a replacement with a grip I can't ask for too much. lol

florinul likes this.
  9. iFossil Orange Belt

iFossil
    Apologise to hijack the post again.

So here is my initial thoughts on the performance after my first 2+ hours workout, I do rounds differently to work on different type of things. Eg: I do 10x1.5 mins round, then next 12x3 mins, 5x5 mins etc etc...so put together it's probably about 30-50 standard rounds?

They have a good broken in feel, doesn't need any efforts at all to make a fist. They are snug and not overly snug that you can't wrap your hand at all, which is great. I wouldn't say they are the most comfortable gloves I have owned, but definitely on the comfy side. I am sure after fully broken in they will feel even better.

Heat wise, it's september, so I don't sweat nearly 1/3 as much as I did in the summer. So far they are normal. Even mine is the mesh palm version, compare to Tokushu definitely a lot lot less heated. They just feel soooo much better without the tokushu stupid lining.

Protection wise, so far they top off all the 10oz gloves I have under 150 bucks, I wouldn't say they top it off by a huge margin, more like edges out some others a little bit, which is still excellent and put them at the best among all of course.

However somehow I feel the impact on my left hand smallest two knuckle at the end of the work out, which has never happened with any gloves at all, they are definitely not injured, just have the feeling I have been punching with them. I think probably has to do with how snug the gloves are on the first go, perhaps my handwraps bunches up when I pushes my left hand in. I don't expect it will be an issue next time or after broken in fully. Usually because I have very boney knuckles, all my injuries are on my second biggest knuckle on both hands, these are by far I feel the most protective on where usually they hurt/feel the impact. I feel so much confident throwing power shot, so very nice to have a pair of gloves like these. (I am a light weight and heavy kicker, I can punch hard but usually not a hard puncher style, hence the 10oz I work with.)

Pop and feedback wise, they are on the middle or lower end of the list. That being said I have had gloves that completely have no pop and zero feedback, they absolutely kill all the fun about hitting a bag and pads. These do have some pop and feeback, they don't make your bag work super extra fun but they also do not make your bag work unenjoyable by any means. They don't crack on the bag like some hard density padding, they are leaning to the springy type with the least spring among that type, kinda like a tuned down tokushu feedback. It's hard to describe, but I would compare them to the Ringside imf, pop and feeback wise feel kinda similar but less of that feeling of one piece foam, definitely feel the layer-foam.....(If I am even making sense now lol)

I do like this kind of feedback, 'cause mentioned above, my weak knuckles can't allow me to take hard density padding and this lesser amount of springiness is good for soft protective padding, it's not huge amount of feedback but there is some. Personally I like it.

----------------------------

So so far...I would probably use these the most frequently when my knuckles are sore/about to be injured, because they are the most protective gloves I have now. When you are healthy you just get that confident you can hit as hard as you can with these, they are definitely not too soft to the point you don't enjoy your work out, which is excellent for this amount of protection they offer.

Do I like them? I do. Do I like them the most over all the gloves I own? At the moment not exactly. But time will tell, usually when gloves first arrive on the first/second month I like them the least, I always think they are not amazing, because it is so hard to compete with some fully broken in gloves that fits you exactly. Could the ultra be my absolute favorite in the future? I think there is a possibility, I can't tell just after one work out.

--------------------------
    Anyway, is the metallic blue in my gloves fading? They are definitely not dirt that I can clean away.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't expect metallic color to last forever, but seems pretty weird this happens after one work out. This is also the part you don't make contact with the bag, so.....I can only think of.. is my sweat fading the color? LOL I definitely don't do PED/testosterone/steroids, so pretty sure I don't sweat chemical. I didn't even sweat that much this time tbh.

ANYWAY, I am glad Uma are sending me another pair soon. Gotta give props where it's due, they are reliable and great enough the way they treat customers, I will look forward to place a custom order with them within 6-12 months.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  10. florinul White Belt

florinul

11. florinul White Belt

florinul
    Glad you like them using the heavy bag!
    The metallic silver on my first custom pair faded away after a while
    Later edit: The metallic gold on my Ultra thumbs is beginning to fade too.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    iFossil likes this.
  12. UMA999 Orange Belt

UMA999
    UMA ULTRA
    [​IMG]

13. YukiNamida White Belt

YukiNamida
    I recently order mine from UMA, hope they come well. Metallic color always easy fade, same as Hayabusa. So I think it's normal, + the part of thumb fading in the picture is the part that would contact when you hit the mitt pads. So I'm not so surprised :O

14. toratora White Belt

toratora
    Think you should stop apologizing Fossil, that glove is just plain ugly. looks like it's sat on a shelf for 2 years before shipped to you, something you buy in a $5 bin at a sports store. Not a good look for UMA, very poor.

iFossil likes this.
  15. iFossil Orange Belt

iFossil
    Well I know they would fade, but certainly not expecting that to happen only after one work out, plus I did the bag work with them not mitt. Even hitting mitt shouldn't make contact with lower thumb, but anyway fading is no big deal as expected.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  16. iFossil Orange Belt

iFossil
    Thanks, glad I am not the only one who thinks so. I was mainly apologizing to OP StRatoCastR for hijacking his post.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    toratora likes this.
  17. YukiNamida White Belt

YukiNamida
    I'm surprised they actually going to send you the 3rd pair :O Instead of just send you the First one Right lol
    After reading your post, I'm scared of the custom gloves I ordered.....because I choice the metallic Red on the entire Thumb In and Out...
    Hope they had learn the lesson from your reviews and made the change :O

18. iFossil Orange Belt

iFossil
    2nd pair*

Yeh, good luck on your pair, let us know how they go.

19. iFossil Orange Belt

iFossil
    So an update, I have just received the pair of gloves. I really appreciate uma for doing that.

But..uh..I am pretty speechless..

Here are the new gloves.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Okay..so in this case it would be safe to say it is the courier's fault for trashing both this pair and the previous pair to this ugly state....dammit, not gonna lie these look even worse than the last in terms of creases.

Pretty gross to me what would be a fine product being trashed to this state. Especially for an addict like me who really takes care of gloves.

I guess may be uma could either complain/charge the courier for trashing the items or step up on packaging themselves, apparently a plastic bag isn't enough for this courier.

Okay, I am pretty much done with this, I don't like complaining. Put those ugly creases aside.

I have to say on the craftsmanship aspect, this pair are very significantly better, the first pair are pretty atrocious on stitching etc. These new pair are much much tidier and cleaner on stitching, in fact I can't find a loose thread on them. I still wouldn't call them thai brand level at all, but it is average or above average, they are good and decent.

So let's talk about the good side.
    [​IMG]
    They come in with a plastic grip as I requested, which is very important to me, whole reason of getting velcro gloves are just for the convenience. This solve the biggest problem I have on my first pair.
    [​IMG]
    Further more, these seems to be the newer model that come in with full leather palm, which are just so much nicer in every single way. Easier to clean, to dry, more durable perhaps too. Just exactly what would make the ultra perfect.

Afterall, what can I say? Just heart broken to see fine gloves being trashed by courier, these gloves with the plastic grip, leather palm and tidy craftsmanship would have been everything I wanted on the ultra.

20. Jaime81 Green Belt

Jaime81
    Just curious, how is it the courier's fault?

toratora likes this.