Ultimate 80's Memories Thread - Part 2 - The 80s Strikes Back

I got a slight deja vu feeling of Melancholy when i hear this now,because it reminds me of a kid that the cartoons were finished for the day.

I got a slight deja vu feeling of Melancholy when i hear this now,because it reminds me of a kid that the cartoons were finished for the day.

Yeah, big time. I remember it well.

I just watched Rambo: First Blood Part 2 the other night. It had been several years since I'd seen it, but for whatever reason, this is the most I've ever enjoyed it. I think it's because it's so incredibly badass, macho, and earnest in everything it does that it was just an absolute shock to my system. It's totally foreign by today's standards. Nowadays almost everything is done for a laugh, there's a ton of goofy self awareness, or masculinity is portrayed as a joke or something that's negative. :mad: I hate this sissy pussified culture we're in that seems to bleed over into nearly every fucking movie that's released. It's an absolute disgrace. But back then, before all this limp wristed nonsense really took hold, man those were some MOVIES. I miss those days.

It's funny how 99.9999999% of the time when I go to see a modern movie I feel no sense of excitement or anything that really gets me fired up. I just feel numb. But then I go back and pop in a movie like this and suddenly I feel energized with legitimate excitement and wonder and it seemingly comes out of nowhere. I didn't think that was possible anymore.

Long live the 80s!

NECA-Rambo-First-Blood-Part-2.jpg

This thread got me thinking about my friends house we used to hang out in. We hung out in the basement that had paneling and a shag carpet. Console TV with an Atari 2600 hooked up to it, and later a Nintendo/Sega. We sat on bean bags and played games like Megamania, warlords, Pitfall....He had a bookshelf that had board games like Risk, Sorry, Life stacked high. Magazines like HiLights, and shelves of Choose Your Oen Adventure books. Had a rack stereo system with a record player and dual cassette deck. Later they hooked up a CD player. We loved hair metal and Heavy Metal and his sister loved pop so they had everything from Maiden to Madonna.The TV had a VCR we would watch movies we rented from small video stores. We watched 80s zany comedies or TNA stuff and later was almost always Horror. He had velvet posters on the wall that would glow under black light. Toys like Rubiqs cubes, Connect 4, nok hockey, and slinky’s were strewn all over. As we got older we would bring girls down there and play spin the bottle. I remember the smell of hairspray and gum, and smoke.

5 Reasons the '80s Win Decade of the Century

savedpicture-2014489189.jpeg

I feel like the '80s often don't get anywhere near enough credit for what an amazing decade it really was. Having grown up in the latter half of the '80s, but mostly in the '90s, I've always wished the '90s were more like the decade prior.

The '90s were a decade dominated by darkness. It was the decade that took away our innocence. From the constant fear and reminders of razor blades in our Halloween candy or being kidnapped from the playground to music borne out of depression and lack of acceptance by ones peers and, perhaps most prevalent, the HIV / AIDS epidemic (yes, this began in the 80's but it became the leading cause of death for all Americans age 25 - 44 in 1994); it was a 10-year long emotional depression.

The '80s, on the other hand, were just fun. Yes, there may be a case made for another decade to top this list, but I don't see any of them topping the '80s. The only two other options would be the '20s and the '50s but neither one takes the top spot. And here's your proof:

1. The Movies

The Goonies, Ghostbusters, The Karate Kid, Indiana Jones, Empire and Jedi, The Princess Bride, The Breakfast Club, Dirty Dancing, Back to the Future, Top Gun, Vacation (and Christmas Vacation), Ferris Bueller, The NeverEnding Story, A Christmas Story, Stand By Me, Big, Sixteen Candles, The Terminator, Die Hard, Say Anything, Pretty in Pink, Dead Poets Society, ET ... the list literally goes on and on because we've barely even scratched the surface here. Tell me there was a better decade for movies EVER. I dare you.

2. The Music

MTV hit the airwaves on August 1st 1981 and changed the face of music forever. Granted, the station has become nothing more than a place to watch some of the most awful people ever do things nobody should ever care about, but in the '80s it was epic. Not only was the music awesome and completely identifiable to the decade, but the musicians were iconic. Madonna, Michael Jackson, Prince, Cyndi Lauper, Pat Benatar, Billy Idol, Heart, Run-D.M.C., Van Halen, Guns n' Roses, Def Leppard, Wham!, Dire Straits, Public Enemy, AC/DC, Foreigner, Bon Jovi, Genesis, the Go-Go's, Journey, REO Speedwagon, Huey Lewis, Culture Club ... and I just have to stop there because enough said.

3. The Fashion

Big hair, leg warmers, and stone-washed jeans ... need I say more?

4. The Electronics

The '80s brought us Nintendo and the proliferation of the personal computer, along with affordable calculators, VCRs in (almost) every home, the Walkman, Game Boy, etc. Tell me anything you know of from popular culture that was more iconic to a generation than Super Mario Bros., Zelda, The Oregon Trail, or Tetris?

33059-tetris-nes-screenshot-title-screen.jpg

5. The People

The '80s was full of characters that are arguably the most memorable cast of characters as a whole than emerged from any other single generation. Harrison Ford, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bill Cosby, Eddie Murphy, Hulk Hogan, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Mel Gibson, Michael J. Fox, Mr. T, Mike Tyson, Oprah Winfrey, Sylvester Stallone, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, Bruce Willis, and even sports icons (pre-PED era) like Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, and Wayne Gretzky. No other decade produced more icons (I CHALLENGE YOU!!!).

0f609c_d679206e213444e09577567941a90e48~mv2.webp

Tribute_to_80s...we-love-80s_ist.jpg

Dammit, every aspect of working out in the 80s looks so damn awesome.

The smell of cig smoke/burnt carpet and the sound of various arcade games from the era such as...

Last edited:
I just watched Conan the Destroyer last night. I haven't seen it in years. While it is definitely more soft and goofy than The Barbarian, I still enjoyed it quite a lot. It made me wish we would have gotten a third film, especially in the 80s. I'm not so much wanting one now, but had Arnold made it around 1986, that would have been awesome. Too bad he wasted the third film of his contract doing the garbage ass Red Sonja.

They definitely don't make them like they used to. Although movies like Lord of the Rings are great movies, there's just something about them that doesn't have that special "it" factor that the 80s movies did. I sure as hell would like to see a Lord of the Rings movie made with the effects of Clash of the Titans or Conan. Man, that would be so much more epic than the CGI trash they're made of now. And imagine it with a score from Basil Poledouris! Amazing.

I miss 80s Sword & Sorcery movies.

Clash-Of-The-Titans-poster-1.jpg

conan-the-barbarian-movie-poster-1982-1020200877.jpg

nr007089-15_1.jpg

MV5BZjhkMmFmMGMtZTIwMy00NGE0LThkZWQtOWNjMDQ1NTY4MmNjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY2MzYyNzA@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

MPW-19372

labyrinth-movie-poster-transparent.png

MV5BNzJlMDEwMTgtMGI5Ny00ODAzLThhM2UtYmRkYjc3OTRiZDQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2MjQyNDc@._V1_UY1200_CR84,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

il_570xN.1310101323_4vg0.jpg

REDSONJA.jpg

2ba2d36dcb1431644ce21256a07cf416.jpg

Sword-and-the-Sorcerer-poster-1.jpg

71abc82df2c627ebe9a0c455b270d9bb.jpg

conan_destroyer.jpg

52be8db6cad8b884fe119545c1f75166.jpg

MV5BMWRiMDExOWUtY2ZjMi00NmFhLWI4Y2MtMTgxMjM2MjMxMjUwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY1200_CR69,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

MOTU+Poster.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm I can't remember the name of the song but there was a good 80s song with a real shitty video. It was pretty much the band playing in a back yard. Anyone remember it?

Back