UFN 134 Shogun vs Smith

Anyone else notice how there arent many prolific leg kickers in the HW division? Werdum and Overeem would be the most prolific still fighting, Pat Barry and Hardonk if you wanna go back to recent memory. Overeem doesnt even leg kick anymore. I wonder why so few HW implement a leg kick heavy style.

x6iwyq.gif

Good topic, I think you’re seeing it with a lot of the different division fighters (most notable example is Aldo). The two biggest possible reasons I can think of are a wrestling meta where energy losses in bottom position is a higher risk than damage from leg kicks.

Second thing is that when building the bone strength to perform such kicks requires training where you have small bone breaks in your shins and when the bone heals, it builds on top of itself making these kicks possible (saw in some documentary years back and I use to train my knuckles the same way). Heavyweights seem older and I’m not sure with their age if they can train this way as your body takes way longer to recover naturally post age 30.

The Heavyweight/Legkick Question is interesting. I think both points^ made by Joe make sense. I also think some of it comes down to reaction time when defending strikes. I am not a trained fighter but after reading fightnomics and doing some thinking on the nature of fighting related to size , reaction time and movement are vastly different depending on weight. Cardio very much an issue and With the extra power and slower reaction time both the threat of getting taken down, or angled off and countered with small gloves make throwing leg kicks less effective. One of the main goals of the legkicks are to slow down the other fighters movement, and explosiveness with his lead leg. That seems to have less value against a division that for the most part fights with a lot more single power shots and flat footed/less movement oriented fighting styles

Anyone else feel like Nasrat Hapqarast is live?

HWs can't afford to take a hard straight in return for a legkick, Rountree-Saki style, whilst lighter fighters can afford to get buzzed?

This is a really good card for underdogs. Pretty much the only fave that is bettable IMO is Abu. All of the other dogs are super live.

is there any reason to believe that Darko isn't gonna struggle with the weight cut? He's not exactly a tiny heavyweight, he ever made 205 before?

I think better than betting Darko straight, better bet FDGTD.
What do you think ?

Ok, I played this parlay
Manny Bermudez
Abu Azaitar
Bartosz Fabinski
150 to win 650

Darko/Kimball ends inside 1 minute +1300 @ betsafe

both of them have alot of early finishes.. think its worth a few peanuts :)

What's to "lol" about? This fight should be closer to evens.

Shogun's resume and last wins are levels above anything Smith has faced so far.

Levels above Thiago Santos ?
Yeah levels above Thiago Santos.

I'm sure Oracle has his reasons for betting Rua, I see a lot of value in him.
I love Lionheart and I think he'll be successful at 205, more so than 185 but Rua at 2/1 is fucking mad.

Yeah levels above Thiago Santos.

I'm sure Oracle has his reasons for betting Rua, I see a lot of value in him.
I love Lionheart and I think he'll be successful at 205, more so than 185 but Rua at 2/1 is fucking mad.
Knocking out the corpse of Evans is such a great win, though.

Levels above Thiago Santos ?
About the same level as the dude who completely annihilated Smith, yeah.

I'm liking Kimball KO @ +600. Darko not filling me with huge confidence, and Kimball can swing.

People really loving shogun at 36 years old coming off an injury. Hasn’t fought in over a year. Rocked multiple times and knocked out twice in his last 5 fights.

Wins against gian, Corey Anderson and little nog.

He is well removed from his heyday.

Smith is probably going to be much bigger and in better shape

I didn't call you out, I just disagreed. Thiago Santos is still levels below Corey Anderson let's say. And Santos beat Smith. All Smith's last 4 wins are shot fighters way past their prime.

I can call you out by saying you are a fraud on betmmatips for putting that line on Volkanovski. Can we see a betslip with your cash on that line?

I didn't call you out, I just disagreed. Thiago Santos is still levels below Corey Anderson let's say. And Santos beat Smith. All Smith's last 4 wins are shot fighters way past their prime.

I can call you out by saying you are a fraud on betmmatips for putting that line on Volkanovski. Can we see a betslip with your cash on that line?

Does shogun qualify as a shot fighter past his prime?

Back