UFN 132 Cerrone vs Edwards

Discussion in 'MMA Betting Discussion' started by JimGunn, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Kowboy Karl

Kowboy Karl Brown Belt

Fair points

mkess101 likes this.
  2. Naught2Sixty

Naught2Sixty Purple Belt

Man I forgot about Bobby Nash. Poor guy. I thought he just had the displeasure of getting thrown to The Leech and Danny Hot Chocolate but alas. They seemingly sign Song for him to get a W but he get's Ko'd anyway. Poor guy. Gonna look into Aldana as well. Could be a live dog.

3. Kowboy Karl

Kowboy Karl Brown Belt

Who is this Rickson Sobotta character

Never heard of him

Cerrone is top notch grappler

Dangerous subs scrambles and can hold positions

Complete

michi972 and mkess101 like this.
  4. mkess101

mkess101 85 or bust...

Absolutely. And I'm not trying to crap all over Sobotta as a grappler. He's good, and I believe had a lot of success in grappling tournaments. But in terms of MMA grappling, he's done nothing at the level Cerrone has.

michi972, Stunna77 and Wiktoruspro like this.
  5. t6p

t6p Brown Belt

I agree with most of your points and I agree that Cerrone is play here. But, Yancy did take an incredible amount of damage in that war with Brazilian Cowboy and came back only a little over two months later to face Cerrone. A lot of people were questioning whether or not the turn around was too quick for Yancy at the time, and it was a factor as to why I bet Cerrone that fight. In retrospect, it does appear that his chin was compromised.

Also, I do have a few concerns about this matchup with Edwards. We’ve seen Cerrone’s vulnerability to body shots in the past and Edwards is a southpaw who throws excellent body kicks. I believe he landed one on Luque that caused him to slow down in that fight. Edwards is also very good at catching kicks and turning them into takedowns. I’m not that worried about it here though, since I’m confident in Cerrone’s bottom game and ability to scramble back up. I’m not that impressed with Edwards top game for the most part, I think he does much better work from the back. He’s also low volume on the feet and on the ground.

Overall, I think if this hits the cards it likely going to be very close and Cerrone is probably more likely to finish. I can understand why some are hesitant to bet him, but I can’t see any argument for playing Edwards at anything close to his current price.

6. Naught2Sixty

Naught2Sixty Purple Belt

Seems like a bit of wiki capping maybe? Sobotta is a black belt under a more well known instructor I think? Dean Lister vs Eliot Marshall.

Sobotta's jitz is a bit too traditional in mma if I'm remembering right. Cowboy incorporates more wrestling which is why he can create a scramble faster and gain a more dominate position. He secures limbs while riding the momentum of his opponent instead of settling down and looking for position. It always happens really fast so it's hard to see. Cowboys grappling is just as good as his striking. Well, when he finds the rhythm he's looking for at least.

7. mkess101

mkess101 85 or bust...

Great point that I didn't realize regarding the turnaround with Yancy. I'd forgotten it was that quick, and it's relevant for sure. I still don't think we dismiss Cerrone putting him away as inconsequential, but it's absolutely a factor to consider.

I think Edwards is "okay" with his top control. He has spells where he looks good, but he gets loose and sloppy at times too. You do that vs Cerrone, he'll capitalize and isolate your arm and start working his triangle/armbar game. He's among the best I've seen at quickly trapping that arm if the opponent makes a mistake.

michi972 and Stunna77 like this.
  8. mkess101

mkess101 85 or bust...

Yeah people need to realize that actual MMA grappling accomplishments and how guys look in the cage>success in the grappling world or who gave a guy his black belt (when it comes to assessing grappling in an MMA fight).

Naught2Sixty likes this.
  9. Naught2Sixty

Naught2Sixty Purple Belt

Oh, is Cowboy the circle jerk for this event? Can we switch it up for a croissant instead of a cracker? Mmm buttery...

rille31 likes this.
  10. mkess101

mkess101 85 or bust...

Might end up a double CJ with OSP, unless people are thinking they will pay juice on Pedro?

The rest of the card is mostly guys too juiced to play. Oh, and I'm not getting up at 3:30 am to watch this either LOL.

Ham Socks and Naught2Sixty like this.
  11. SBJJ

SBJJ Silver Belt

I'd rate Cerrone as one of the most dangerous bottom games in MMA

If I knew for sure Leon will play wrestler this entire fight I'd bet the farm on Cowboy

As it is. I think this is an even fight with Cerrone having good value

OSP has YUGE value IMO

michi972, Stunna77, Gugabe and 3 others like this.
  12. mkess101

mkess101 85 or bust...

And...we're off!

upload_2018-6-13_20-33-54.png

13. Naught2Sixty

Naught2Sixty Purple Belt

1. Haven't put the time in for tape on osp/pedro yet (looking into JRC/Eye at the moment) but yeah, I'm not eating that chalk. Might put a flyer on OSP itd. Dude is always looking to snipe and that Anderson headkick would total a Hummer.

[​IMG]

3. LOL 3am. Yeah right.

14. SBJJ

SBJJ Silver Belt

image.jpeg

mkess101 likes this.
  15. Wiktoruspro

Wiktoruspro Blue Belt

With no ground game. Li is the most confident pick despite the juice

16. Yotsuya

Yotsuya Blue Belt

Abe is a black belt judoka and he took Lim down. Also, it’s true, that grapplers are Li’s biggest weakness, but lw Camacho was close finishing Li in first round and might have won dec with full camp.

turbozed, Stunna77 and Sadistics like this.
  17. Wiktoruspro

Wiktoruspro Blue Belt

Than bet him :)

18. Yotsuya

Yotsuya Blue Belt

I have bet him. :)

19. Karmello

Karmello Blue Belt

I was also looking into this fight, here are Aldana's 2 TUF fights from 2015 and his last regional fight from 2013:
    https://www.ufc.tv/video/hector-aldana-vs-alvaro-herrera-the-ultimate-fighter-latin-america-2

https://www.ufc.tv/video/enrique-marin-vs-hector-aldana-the-ultimate-fighter-latin-america-2

I don't know what Aldana has been doing after 2015 and after watching tape I think I pass on this one.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Ukram likes this.
  20. Gugabe

Gugabe Blue Belt

Essentially a pure Song fade for me. Song's not UFC caliber despite a fluke 15 second KO, and they're scraping the bottom of their contract barrel to try and find him a win in this spot.