UFN 124 - Stephens vs Choi - St. Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way too much juice on Usman....hes a freak for sure but Meek is a savage. He subluxated his rib about halfway through the Jordan Mein fight and still won.

If you've ever done this it hurts like fucking hell, I had it happen to a rib in the back that connects to spine and couldn't move right for a few days.

Can see this fight being back and forth ending in a close decision, don't think Usman is just going to steamroll a guy like

I agree with that, I almost pulled the trigger on Moraes against Usman and obviously glad I didn't but Meek has the athleticism to make it more competitive. I expect Usman to grind him out and get at least 2 rounds but those odds are hard to pass up, kinda like the JJ/Rose fight in a sense.

Way too much juice on Usman....hes a freak for sure but Meek is a savage. He subluxated his rib about halfway through the Jordan Mein fight and still won.

If you've ever done this it hurts like fucking hell, I had it happen to a rib in the back that connects to spine and couldn't move right for a few days.

Can see this fight being back and forth ending in a close decision, don't think Usman is just going to steamroll a guy like Meek
I'm pretty sure that's not true. Ribs, in theory, cant be subluxated. I'm sure it hurt and all, but yeah, it was probably inflammation of the muscles around the rib that was misdiagnosed as a subluxated rib

Meek's not particularly great. He caught Palhares coming in as Palhares is bound to be caught every so often, and then won a decision over a lackluster-looking Jordan Mein after the dude collapsed in the last 2 rounds like he did against Belal Muhammad. He's also been stopped twice by punches on the regionals by dudes without any significant record, which is very concerning for a UFC talent.

Probably gonna no-play this one, but I don't see Meek having much of a path to victory beyond miracle KO.

What about just taking the over 1.5 for the Choi/Stephens fight? I don't see either one of them getting a quick KO in this fight.

What about just taking the over 1.5 for the Choi/Stephens fight? I don't see either one of them getting a quick KO in this fight.
A little too juiced for my liking but I think it’s a better play than taking a current ML. I’m debating taking Choi by decision now

IMO Do Choo Choi doesnt do well under pressure, look at r2 against Cub.
Stephens will pressure him for sure

Im going to end up playing Meek. Im not very high on him, but these odds are getting ridicilous. Meek is tough as shit and has power in his hands. Imo Usman is fairly unlikely to finish Meek, and every round starts standing. Usman has also shown that he's starting to like striking more and more, and a striking battle would obviously be the optimal scenario if betting Meek. Moraes touched Usman a few times, althought it didnt seem to have much of an effect on him.

Already bet Stephens at 2.5. People are saying Stephens has one KO after 2013 like it's some kind of proof that he doesnt hit hard. How about he just fought absolute killers, and still went 4-5? Elkins, Cub, Do Bronx, Bermudez, Holloway, Barao, Edgar, Moicano and Melendez. Moicano fight was disappointing, but alot of that was because of Moicanos masterfully executed gameplan that Stephens had no answers for.

I dont think Choi can stay on the outside for five rounds and outpoint Stephens, that's not even his style. Eventually Stephens will get his hands (or feet, Melendez fight) on Choi, and if Cub floored him several times, odds are so will Stephens.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. Ribs, in theory, cant be subluxated. I'm sure it hurt and all, but yeah, it was probably inflammation of the muscles around the rib that was misdiagnosed as a subluxated rib

I know in theory but for some reason practitioners still label it as subluxation, it’s actually still debated I believe but I don’t keep with current anatomical sciences.

It’s at the very least damage to the surrounding cartalige/tendons....maybe just easier for them to label it as subluxation rather than a ‘rib sprain’

Im going to end up playing Meek. Im not very high on him, but these odds are getting ridicilous. Meek is tough as shit and has power in his hands. Imo Usman is fairly unlikely to finish Meek, and every round starts standing. Usman has also shown that he's starting to like striking more and more, and a striking battle would obviously be the optimal scenario if betting Meek. Moraes touched Usman a few times, althought it didnt seem to have much of an effect on him.

Already bet Stephens at 2.5. People are saying Stephens has one KO after 2013 like it's some kind of proof that he doesnt hit hard. How about he just fought absolute killers, and still went 4-5? Elkins, Cub, Do Bronx, Bermudez, Holloway, Barao, Edgar, Moicano and Melendez. Moicano fight was disappointing, but alot of that was because of Moicanos masterfully executed gameplan that Stephens had no answers for.

I dont think Choi can stay on the outside for five rounds and outpoint Stephens, that's not even his style. Eventually Stephens will get his hands (or feet, Melendez fight) on Choi, and if Cub floored him several times, odds are so will Stephens.
Prettymuch. I'd be surprised if Choi can resist the urge to turn it into a war in the small cage, which is a situation that I feel favors Stephens' experience, power and skillset. Even Choi's regional performances tended to be him coming forward with crisp boxing technique, so I feel like he doesn't have the desire to play the safe out-fighting style.

Stephens as a big KO threat is something that has been overstated forever, even prior to FW. The numbers don't lie. He has 26 fights in the UFC with 5 (T)Kos. Another interesting stat is that three of those (T)Kos came in the 3rd round and one at the very end of the 2nd round. There is no doubt that Stephens throws hard, but he's obviously just not landing flush that often and certainly not quickly. Maybe this will be the fight that gives him more opportunities, but there is a very large sample size showing him as a major KO threat isn't that true. An interesting counter to that is that he carries his power late though. If Choi does slow down and get sloppy later, that can be trouble. But if it's an early firefight, Stephens landing an early KO is not something that he typically gets.

Prettymuch. I'd be surprised if Choi can resist the urge to turn it into a war in the small cage, which is a situation that I feel favors Stephens' experience, power and skillset. Even Choi's regional performances tended to be him coming forward with crisp boxing technique, so I feel like he doesn't have the desire to play the safe out-fighting style.

We know this event is in the small cage?

Didn't Choi's team mate Maestro come back from Reyes fight as a more measured and safe fighter?

Still haven't got to tape, but I think Stephens +150 is off, mainly because it is a 5 rounder. Choi hasn't shown us he has much to offer outside of an early KO. Wish we had at least one other recent fight to judge his cardio off of, but Cub fight alone makes me want to take the shot. That fight + Stephens chin, cardio and sustained volume/power make him a very interesting dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back