UFN 119 - Machida vs Brunson - Sao Paulo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pedro Munhoz vs Rob Font preview

This ought to be a damn good scrap between two of the bantamweight division’s brightest future stars. Given the skill set and toughness of each man, I expect to see a competitive tilt regardless of the official outcome. Nevertheless, when the ref raises the hand of the winning fighter, I expect it to be the kid from Boston, Massachusetts. Indeed, while I expect a competitive affair, the work that Font has put in with striking Coach Mark DellaGrotte has been evident. It’s turned a plus athlete into an absolute sniper. Font will have a pronounced speed advantage, but it’s the reach discrepancy between the two that changes the entire dynamic. Specifically, Munoz and Font clock in with a 65 and 72 inch reach respectively.

Given his anatomical advantages and edge in speed and striking technique, Font is set up perfectly for a breakout performance. In fact, the only why I see Pedro pulling out the victory here is if Font makes a mistake and gets his head caught in the spring-loaded bear trap that is a Pedro Munoz guillotine choke.

Font is busts Pedro up from range and wins a clear cut UD in São Paulo.

PREDICTION : Font via Comic Sans UD

Last edited:
Watching some tape on Colby borington.

Snoozefest fighter. Lay and pray extraordinaire. Striking is pretty crappy.

His father was a wrestler and his mom was a wrestling cheerleader. So that makes Colby the prototypical jock.

Relentless takedowns. Good cardio. Plays it pretty safe on the ground. Happy to just lay In your guard for 15 minutes and pop shot you.

If Maia can’t submit him this ones gonna be boring. I dont think he’s gonna be able to keep Colby off of him. His best chance of winning is hitting a sub in a scramble

Colby by boring decision

Last edited:
some crazy stabs:

covington sub +2150 -- maybe RD3 is better, but yea. he's a sub guy, not a ko guy. if maia TRULY gassed, it could happen. maybe more likely than a tko given colby? /shrug. (rd 3 is prolly better)

price RD3 +1100 -- short notice for luque and he's a known gasser

marshman RD3 +2225: he has heart & shoeface has fallen off in fights before..

zaleski RD3 +1450 <-- already had some on this one and doing more... i seriously think he breaks griffin. griffin is a lesser version of lyman good as i see it. in brazil.. he faded hard vs colby ... granted it was his debut and he was stuck on bottom... zaleski got a rd 3 stoppage a couple fights ago (akhmedov gasses even harder, i'm aware)....

Dk how I could've ever thought this could've been a good betting card yet when its all said and done its one of the weirdest/worst of the year.

ACJ itd big
Maia NSC big
Fig NSC
Font 1.5u
Joker 1.5u and only that much cause im forcing.

Everything else is such a clear pass. A few props that hold value im small on too. Still loling @ Munhoz sub +1020

Weird betting card, can’t understand how Maia, Machida and Griffin are underdogs. I will probably bet those.

i think marshman is going to get strangled but i can't resist a stab at +400.

got half a bottle of gentleman jack, gonna smash the entire thing as it's a long night.

Man I know I'm the dummy who has marshman ko and marshman NSC small but..

What the hell is this guy still doing at 185? Seriously? I'm not joking when I say he'd be undersized by a LOT of 155'ers

Weird betting card, can’t understand how Maia, Machida and Griffin are underdogs. I will probably bet those.
Agree, lots of weird misinfo

Machida

- Getting brutally destroyed by Yoel didnt happen, they were even going into the third and although the elbows were hard theres a chance it was almost stopped early
- the Yoel fight, for all Machidas flaws was within two months of the Rockhold fight where he caught a brutal elbow at the end of the first.
- Machida looked visibly fatigued amd tired vs Yoel, he looks 100% better after a rest
- Machidas not THAT susceptible to ring rust since he has a history of fighting mixed rules bouts straight from Karate points style competition and sparring which is what hes always doing
- This isnt a damaged old guy vs young up and comer, Machidas 39, Brunsons 33 and Machidas been KOed less
- Brunsons finishes always come in the 1st, Machidas only been finished in the first by a prime Shogun 7 yrs ago
- If Brunson doesmt get him in the 1st, Machida will eventually draw him into a counter, he has 25 mins to do it

Maia

- CC needs a somewhat stationary opponent to get his TDs off which hes dependent on, Maias boxing in the Woodley fight, despite how boring it was took a leap. The pressure will favor more clinch fighting and more TD opportunities and a variety of positions for Maia
- Maia got BADLY eye poked in the 1st against Woodley and still had a higher than avg volume, CCs boxing is ordinary at best and Maia will outbox him
- CC is dependent on singular pinning of opponents and rabbit GnP, Maia has heaps of reversal options and conditioned to grappling a higher weight class. He should be able to hit reversals and chain wrestle CC from a variety of positions and hold dominant position
- This is CC's 1st top 5 fight, Maia has been fighting top comp for many yrs

X-factor for why colby beats maia:

Colby and Masvidal are very close. Almost certainly Colby was helping Masvidal prepare for Maia, and has been studying Maia's game for a while. I think Colby will be prepared for Maia's tricks, and I do believe Colby can KO him from the outside.

Colby and Masvidal are very close. Almost certainly Colby was helping Masvidal prepare for Maia, and has been studying Maia's game for a while. I think Colby will be prepared for Maia's tricks, and I do believe Colby can KO him from the outside.

really? :D i would sit in shock for a while if that happends

based on what, though? CC has never KO-ed anyone in his pro career and Maia has been pretty durable during his career

Machida is old will die via Brunson takedown gnp.

Maia is gonna snatch a rnc. Don’t let Covington bum trash talk fool you. He’s a small ww and doesn’t possess the striking skills to use his wrestling in reverse to out strike Maia. If he goes forward with wrestling he’s getting swept and subbed. Believe me people.

Would def take a stab on Marsh an and price

If cc does fight on the ground with Maia for most of the fight and survives I will be shocked and give him huge props.

based on what, though? CC has never KO-ed anyone in his pro career and Maia has been pretty durable during his career
Styles make fights.

Colby has never KO'ed anyone because he's been easily able to take everyone down he's fought.

Maia has been pretty durable because he doesn't get hit very often -- he's usually able to take his opponents down.

Machida is old will die via Brunson takedown gnp.

This is what I think...decided to take some Brunson

Machida hasn't been a threat in so long. It's been > 5 years and a weight class change since he KO'd Bader. Since moving to 185 only has meh KO victims of Dollaway and Munoz, and even Dollaway was almost 3 years ago.

He looked like a shell vs Rockhold + Yoel, posed no offensive threat + was savagely finished. Now at 39, coming off inactivity, could have been using roids back in LHW days. Who knows how far he may have tumbled. Could be Brunson's easiest fight in a long while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back