UFC's Joe Rogan: This ONE FC weight cutting ban is a step forward in the healthiest direction.

Should the UFC ban weight-cutting by dehydration and institute a new set of regulations?

• Yes

Votes: 601 83.1%
  • No

Votes: 64 8.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 58 8.0%

• Total voters
I think it's a solid step. It would be hard to enforce on such a large roster but I think it's only a matter of time before something gets done.

I agree its a step in the right direction, I'm just not sure how enforceable these guidelines are.

it's pretty easy: confront the weigh in's day weight with the fight day weight.
one couldn't gain more than a certain % if not by heavy rehydratation.

or, better, weigh in the same day of the fight.

Hot stuff? What are you, from the 80s?

80s-Guy.jpg

Somebody explain this whole "likes" thing to this time traveller.

hespect the 80s

The whole weight cutting thing is pretty ridiculous. Two fighters who weigh the same, say 175, go through the unhealthy process of cutting 20 pounds so they can fight at 155, and then after dehydrating themselves they put the weight back on for the fight, so they still end up fighting at the same weight as each other. If they're the same size to begin with, why go through the weight cut?

I understand that a weight cutting ban can have problems in and of itself and can be difficult to enforce, but there's still something fundamentally flawed with the process.

I would say because to some, they are better at weight cutting, not everybody can/wants to cut weight as much, hence they think it gives them an advantage.

Looks like the first ONE championship event under the new weight cutting rules happened without any major issues.
For your info and to give you an idea of how this could work:
Bibiano Fernandes, who was the bantamweight champ at 135lb, defended his belt, both men fighting at the 145lb limit, he is now the bantamweight (145lb) champ.
Basically they just shifted the goalposts.

DUXC0114.0.0.jpg

This could work out well for ONE, since they have divisions and champs at 115,125,135,145,155,170,185, and HW with no 205lb division to speak of.
So just implement 205lb division and move everyone on the roster up except the HWs.
It wouldn't work for the UFC however.

Last edited:
It seems like a great idea on paper, but the whole principle is based on fighters submitting their weight to the 1fc, it seems like it would be really easy to just say what ever weight you wanted and carry on as usual and just make sure you are a little lighter than usual when they weigh you for the first time when you have a fight agreement in place. I might be reading it wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.
Random testing can include a weigh in.

This is the same guy that shoves thousands of pills, roids and TRT up his ass each morning. Yeah, it's all about technique and training. Except if you sell bullshit products that you claim make you smarter only to struggle in your podcast when trying to put 2 and 2 together. What a dummy.
And how many times has Rogan competed in the UFC?

The ONEC event went really well with the new rules. The only downside to the new weight classes is that the names are the same as the other organisations yet they are not the same weights.

They should have just kept the weight classes the same weights and implemented a Cruiser weight division since they made a 102.2kg - 120.2kg weight class / move their Champions into a weight class they fit into then give them a belt , if two champs fit into the same weight class make them unify ie ex Featherweight Champ vs ex Lightweight Champ.

Or just rename the weight classes and give them nice rounded metric units like 100kg - 120kg instead of this 102.2kg - 120.2kg bullshit when you convert from 225 - 265 pounds.

Last edited:
How did One FC implement their new weigh-in rules for their January 23rd card when that fight card wasn't finalized until January 4th?

New rules state:
Overage and limits of weight reduction:
· 3 weeks to event day: Athlete must be within contracted weight class
· 4 weeks: 1.5% bodyweight over max

I highly doubt the fighters were on weight the day the fight was announced.

I like the idea and it's for the safety of the competitors. However, much like the TRT ban affecting terrors like Vitor,

A part of me is going to miss a guy like Rumble Johnson putting a bunch of a smaller dudes into coma.

AnthonyJohnson_CharlieBrenneman.jpg

SotC-Best-Shot-01.jpg

Hell yeah, you should fight at the weight you walk around at.

Weigh them right before the fight... if they're still stupid enough to try to cut, let them fucken die in the octagon.

What is One's logistics of detecting and enforcing this? That's always the insanely tricky part

What is One's logistics of detecting and enforcing this? That's always the insanely tricky part
This would be good to know.
How far in advance do they usually announce their fight cards? As I posted earlier, they finalized the lineup for their latest card 3 weeks out, and their new rules state fighters must be at the contracted weight 3 weeks out. That kind of setup is not going to work in the future.

How often are fighters getting fights in One? Are the fighters on exclusive contracts? I'm wondering if some of the fighters are fighting in other organizations also and how this is going to impact that.

How often are fighters getting fights in One? Are the fighters on exclusive contracts? I'm wondering if some of the fighters are fighting in other organizations also and how this is going to impact that.

Not sure about the local fighters that fill up the lower end of the cards, but for the established fighters i think they mostly have exclusive contracts, with the notable exception of shinya aoki.
I remember James mcsweeney complaining online about not getting booked for fights by ONE , but I think most of the guys fight 3 times a yr.

They should just weigh them right before their fight. It might be a little dangerous for some massive weight-cutters, but if they want to step into the ring looking like an anorexic zombie, that's their choice.
The only problem with that is it won't stop people from trying and they will die.

In terms of theory, I think it is a wonderful move by One FC... in terms of practical application, I will wait and see, as I suspect this may come with a whole host of complications and potential drawbacks. But again, that is the skeptic in me that would like to see their proposed method withstand the test of time.

That being said, I think OneFC is on the right track, and weight cutting is going to become a major problem for the sport, in much the way PED's have been. It is only going to take one or two instances where a fighter dehydrates down to make weight and ends up in a coma or, worse, death, and this will become a major obstacle for the sport of MMA.

It's not really that hard to be honest. Fighters usually go through a pre-fight medical check, just make sure it includes a hydration test as well. Or you could just have their hydration levels checked the same day as the weigh-ins etc. The point is that it's not hard to enforce a weight cutting ban if you really want to.

Back