UFC's Joe Rogan: This ONE FC weight cutting ban is a step forward in the healthiest direction.

Should the UFC ban weight-cutting by dehydration and institute a new set of regulations?

• Yes

Votes: 601 83.1%
  • No

Votes: 64 8.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 58 8.0%

• Total voters
This is the best thing that has happened to MMA in a long time.

If you vote no to banning weight cutting but are all for PEDs being banned, then you are a double idiot.

I really don't know why they don't increase the weight limit for each division and make the fighters fight on their natural weight.

I really don't know why they don't increase the weight limit for each division and make the fighters fight on their natural weight.

because fighters would just cut for a lower weightclass then.

because fighters would just cut for a lower weightclass then.
Two weighs ins. The first is the morning of the fight and second 2 hours before the fight. Increase the tolerance to up to 4 lbs over for two hours before the fight for natural hydration gains now training is over.

Joe Rogan really does care about the fighters. He's in a somewhat unique position, because his livelihood is not contingent upon the pomp and gleam of the sport, at least not to a degree that would compromise his beliefs.

The short answer is yes. This would be best for the fighters. If middleweights are actually 190+ instead of 185, just make the weight for MW division 190.

The long answer is of course, much more complicated. If you wanted to ban weight cuts, you would need a much more thorough and scrutinizing process to ensure the fighters aren't cutting weight anyway. If you make the limit for MW 190 why then of course the fighters will still cut weight, just gain a lot more.

Fighters aren't thinking about their long term health or really even their short term. They want to win. They have to win in order to get paid in an optimum fashion. I'm not one to advocate co-dependence but I think this would be a situation where the industry should really look out for the well-being of its money-makers, that is the fighters.

I don't know how they would go about enforcing such a thing. Probably still a ways off.

Just doing same day weigh-ins didn't work. It has already been tried and was disastrous. That's why they went to the day before in the first place. There has to be multiple weigh-ins (including some random ones) for it to work.

I agree. Can't have guys like Kenny Florian running around and fighting in 4 different weight classes.

The weight classes are too wide to ban weight cutting altogether. A guy that's 210 forced to fight a guy that's 260 because he can't cut 5lbs to 205 creates another danger altogether. This can't be done properly overnight and there must be concessions of some kind. They had to do something drastic but this won't be adopted by the bigger orgs imo.

I have been wanting something like this to go thru since before there was mma... in boxing

the fight that really made me think hard about it was back in the 90s, Arturo Gatti vs Joey Gamache... Gatti looked like a grown man fighting a midget that night, and it was brutal. And I believe Gamache sued Gatti because Gatti had reportedly gained like 20 lbs between the weigh in and the fight, while Gamache was fighting much closer to his natural weight...

not to mention it flat out makes you weaker I don't care what mike dolce claims... who knows what certain people could do/have done if operating at FULL POWER... imo

It doesn't have to be perfect at roll out. Just throwing hands up and saying "there is no perfect solution!" does not create progress. Even if ONE fucks up their initial approach, they will gain insight from the effort that can be used to further refine the rules and eventually arrive at a better outcome.

I have been wanting something like this to go thru since before there was mma... in boxing

the fight that really made me think hard about it was back in the 90s, Arturo Gatti vs Joey Gamache... Gatti looked like a grown man fighting a midget that night, and it was brutal. And I believe Gamache sued Gatti because Gatti had reportedly gained like 20 lbs between the weigh in and the fight, while Gamache was fighting much closer to his natural weight...

not to mention it flat out makes you weaker I don't care what mike dolce claims... who knows what certain people could do/have done if operating at FULL POWER... imo
The weigh-in for that fight was horrible, Gatti jumped on & off the scale pretty quick and left the room. Most in there stated he didn't make weight, 141lb. HBO's unofficial fight day weigh-in, Gatti was 160 & Camache was 145.
Camache ended up in the hospital for at least a week and never fought again. He sued the NYSAC stating they allowed Gatti to not make weight and were negligent in their duties, took 10 years but he finally won.
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/gamache-wins-lawsuit-vs-nysac-42103

"The videotape shows that once Arturo Gatti stepped on the scale, the needle rose to the top of the beam indicating that he was heavier than the 141 pounds the scale had been set to. With Southard looking on and mere inches from the scale, Russo was seen touching the scale, moving the counter-weight to a heavier position past the pre-set weight of 141 pounds. When what did not settle the needle, Gatti was told to raise his arms, which caused the needle to bounce up and down. It was at that point, while the needle was still in motion, that his weight was called as 141 pounds. Gatti stepped off the scale, immediately began drinking fluids and quickly left the weigh-in room."

Despicable actions.

The weigh-in for that fight was horrible, Gatti jumped on & off the scale pretty quick and left the room. Most in there stated he didn't make weight, 141lb. HBO's unofficial fight day weigh-in, Gatti was 160 & Camache was 145.
Camache ended up in the hospital for at least a week and never fought again. He sued the NYSAC stating they allowed Gatti to not make weight and were negligent in their duties, took 10 years but he finally won.
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/gamache-wins-lawsuit-vs-nysac-42103

"The videotape shows that once Arturo Gatti stepped on the scale, the needle rose to the top of the beam indicating that he was heavier than the 141 pounds the scale had been set to. With Southard looking on and mere inches from the scale, Russo was seen touching the scale, moving the counter-weight to a heavier position past the pre-set weight of 141 pounds. When what did not settle the needle, Gatti was told to raise his arms, which caused the needle to bounce up and down. It was at that point, while the needle was still in motion, that his weight was called as 141 pounds. Gatti stepped off the scale, immediately began drinking fluids and quickly left the weigh-in room."

Despicable actions.

wow, I never saw the weigh-ins or heard that story... I just remember everyone was talking about how rules need to change to protect fighters, and how bad it looked on gatti, the fact that he was so much bigger than gamache... this was all leading up to the fight, I didn't realize what all the hubbub was about until I saw them in the ring together...

weirdest fight I ever saw... looked like everyone, including gatti, gamache, the ref, and both corners already knew exactly how the fight was about to play out, almost like they were pissed about it, but they had to "go thru the motions"

I'm not exaggerating or kidding one bit... some twilight zone shit

The idea of a 200 pound man fighting in the 170 weight division is ludicrous and makes no sense.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's hard to argue that this is a professional athlete in top form.

It's a big change. All belts need to be given up and every single fighter needs to be moved to their appropriate weight class. All weight classes need to be reassigned, possibly even some new weight classes need to be made in the process.

It's a HUGE change but I think if UFC were smart, they could make something exciting out of it. Imagine a year where every weight class begins with a tournament to crown the new champ. Would be amazing.

Weight them just as they step in the ring. No rehydration, no problem.

all u crying about weight cutting should stfu and stop trying to ruin mma youre not a fighter so stop trying to act like u know anything about weightcutting and how its "dangerous"

Back