UFC's Joe Rogan: This ONE FC weight cutting ban is a step forward in the healthiest direction.

Should the UFC ban weight-cutting by dehydration and institute a new set of regulations?

• Yes

Votes: 601 83.1%
  • No

Votes: 64 8.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 58 8.0%

• Total voters

Cool Hand Luke

Shit-Coin Master
Pink
Reaction score
i think its a matter of time before this is standard procedure and law under the governing bodies.

looking forward to McGoat as the true 175lb champ

Do you agree with UFC lead analyst Joe Rogan on this topic?

Asia’s largest sports media property, ONE Championship™ (ONE), has announced that the organization will lead the global MMA industry by banning weight-cutting by dehydration and instituting a new set of regulations and policies governing the weigh-in procedures and contracted weight limits. The new program, which is the first of its kind for combat sports, is focused on athlete safety by introducing "walking-weight" competition via multiple weigh-ins and tests before and during fight week, including 3 hours before an event begins.

Athletes will now compete at their "walking-weight", which will be determined by a robust system that will track his/her weight on a regular basis throughout the period that the athlete is contracted to ONE. Full details of the new weigh-in program can be found below.

The revolutionary weigh-in program was established after thorough discussions and recommendations by ONE Championship's medical and competition team, consisting of Chief Doctor Dr. Warren Wang, Chief Medical Advisor Dr. James Okamoto, Vice President Mr. Rich Franklin, Vice President of Operations & Competition Mr. Matt Hume, Global Athlete Services & Competition Director Mr. Richard Auty and China Athlete Services & Competition Director Mr. Vaughn Anderson.

CEO of ONE Championship™ Victor Cui stated, “ONE Championship has paved the way for MMA in Asia and we have always been at the forefront of innovation for the sport. By banning weight cutting by dehydration, we are leading the way globally for enhanced safety standards for professional MMA athletes. We believe that through the implementation of this new weigh-in program, our fighters will enjoy a safer and healthier life inside and outside of the cage. I invite the other two major global MMA organizations, Bellator and UFC, to follow in our footsteps to protect athletes and to eliminate the process of weight cutting by dehydration."

Read more:http://onefc.com/news/611-one-championship-revolutionizes-mma-with-new-weigh-in.html

I agree its a step in the right direction, I'm just not sure how enforceable these guidelines are.

It seems like a great idea on paper, but the whole principle is based on fighters submitting their weight to the 1fc, it seems like it would be really easy to just say what ever weight you wanted and carry on as usual and just make sure you are a little lighter than usual when they weigh you for the first time when you have a fight agreement in place. I might be reading it wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.

I like the idea and it's for the safety of the competitors. However, much like the TRT ban affecting terrors like Vitor,

A part of me is going to miss a guy like Rumble Johnson putting a bunch of a smaller dudes into coma.

AnthonyJohnson_CharlieBrenneman.jpg

This is the same guy that shoves thousands of pills, roids and TRT up his ass each morning. Yeah, it's all about technique and training. Except if you sell bullshit products that you claim make you smarter only to struggle in your podcast when trying to put 2 and 2 together. What a dummy.

Also you can essentially say good-bye to the LHW division.

Or the new LHW's are some strange mix up of MW's and WW's. Robbie, GSP, and Hendricks are all said to have walked around 190-205. Chris Weidman was supposedly walking around at about 190 now that he diets and "doesn't drink alcohol" during training now.

dang, a lot of fighters would be moving up. Really going to need to rethink splitting the HW division.

This is the same guy that shoves thousands of pills, roids and TRT up his ass each morning. Yeah, it's all about technique and training. Except if you sell bullshit products that you claim make you smarter only to struggle in your podcast when trying to put 2 and 2 together. What a dummy.

Well Rogan is just agreeing with the proposed rules. Matt Hume is the guy that supposedly is the innovator of this. He's a fighter himself, gym owner and trainer and has given a fuck load to the sport of MMA.

Also who the hell is going to be recording all the contracted fighters for ONEFC year round? I see no controversy in that.

It seems like a great idea on paper, but the whole principle is based on fighters submitting their weight to the 1fc, it seems like it would be really easy to just say what ever weight you wanted and carry on as usual and just make sure you are a little lighter than usual when they weigh you for the first time when you have a fight agreement in place. I might be reading it wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.

How are you going to know when to "weigh a little lighter" before they first check? If they are knocking on the door you can't just go run to the bathroom and lose 10 pounds and you can't stay dehydrated for a week waiting for someone to show up.

Good on paper ... See how it enforced ... I can see guys saying they were injured and ballooned up ... See how it goes ... I think there should just be a percentage you can gain back ... Like 8% before fight ... Although that would lead to fights getting cancelled etc

How are you going to know when to "weigh a little lighter" before they first check? If they are knocking on the door you can't just go run to the bathroom and lose 10 pounds and you can't stay dehydrated for a week waiting for someone to show up.
I didnt see the 'random weight check' part, I thought it was done by the fighter only until they were scheduled to fight

I didnt see the 'random weight check' part, I thought it was done by the fighter only until they were scheduled to fight

You are correct that they do have to submit their daily weight but to get their weight class initially there will be random checks is how I understand it. Once OneFC sets their weight class, a lot of it goes to the fighter to "self report" until fight week gets closer.

2. Athletes will be assigned to their weight class based on collated data and random weight checks. Athletes are not allowed to drop a weight class when less than 8 weeks out from an event.
5. ONE will conduct random weight checks on athletes at our discretion.

So I'm really not sure how these guys will "beat the system" on their intial weight class assignment.

I mean it's not like ONE doesn't know who cuts huge amounts in their organization. They have seen their athletes weight 173 and stuff and cutting down to 155 and I'm sure they will tell those fighters they are now fighting at 170.

The whole weight cutting thing is pretty ridiculous. Two fighters who weigh the same, say 175, go through the unhealthy process of cutting 20 pounds so they can fight at 155, and then after dehydrating themselves they put the weight back on for the fight, so they still end up fighting at the same weight as each other. If they're the same size to begin with, why go through the weight cut?

I understand that a weight cutting ban can have problems in and of itself and can be difficult to enforce, but there's still something fundamentally flawed with the process.

They should just weigh them right before their fight. It might be a little dangerous for some massive weight-cutters, but if they want to step into the ring looking like an anorexic zombie, that's their choice.

Never give up the fight!!!

They should just weigh them right before their fight. It might be a little dangerous for some massive weight-cutters, but if they want to step into the ring looking like an anorexic zombie, that's their choice.
Someone has died. No organization will ever say "that's their choice" when a death is involved

You are correct that they do have to submit their daily weight but to get their weight class initially there will be random checks is how I understand it. Once OneFC sets their weight class, a lot of it goes to the fighter to "self report" until fight week gets closer.

2. Athletes will be assigned to their weight class based on collated data and random weight checks. Athletes are not allowed to drop a weight class when less than 8 weeks out from an event.
5. ONE will conduct random weight checks on athletes at our discretion.

So I'm really not sure how these guys will "beat the system" on their intial weight class assignment.

I mean it's not like ONE doesn't know who cuts huge amounts in their organization. They have seen their athletes weight 173 and stuff and cutting down to 155 and I'm sure they will tell those fighters they are now fighting at 170.
I hope it works out, looking at it again it seems the fairest way of managing weight classes.

Does anyone know roughly how many fighters onefc has under contract?

Back