UFC's GSP's MW defence clause was BS

Chuck

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
congress gives no fuck about UFC, BRO

Congress? How moronic can Sherdoggers get?
You're not familiar with Congress questioning the UFC's ranking system?
I won't call you a moron...just ignorant.

You're not familiar with Congress questioning the UFC's ranking system?
I won't call you a moron...just ignorant.

I don't know anything about it either.

Links?

I'm thinking the UFC threw that clause in there to cover their asses from congress.
They've been under some heat, and needed some substance contractually to pull the GSP/Bisping fight off.
We can claim that GSP had no intention of defending, but I suspect the UFC had no intention either.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjn9dPZ4_bXAhUIXhoKHaEcC6oQtwIIJzAA&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJrBFumjzOw&usg=AOvVaw2q43xA9QrH3DE3IqbdJQx4

I posted that video a month and a half ago..

I posted that video a month and a half ago..
Ya, Sorry Ceez...I couldn't find your post.
I wanted to include the thread link.
It seems obvious to me that the GSP clause was BS from the beginning.

Anyone up to pinning down footage of Dana and GSP saying that the contract stipulate that he has to defend the title if he wins it? lol

I think it was probably more of a verbal agreement but even if GSP signed in his contract that he has to defend the MW belt against Whittaker, you can't force him. Contractually, he can simply forfeit the belt and move on which was likely his plan from the beginning. Anything to sign the deal.

Doesn’t matter what the contract says. You can’t force someone to fight.
They can forbid him to fight in another org but if he wants to retire .. well

And if he fights for WW title then it’s been done with Dana’s agreement but it’s again a bad thing for the ufc in mid term

I think it was probably more of a verbal agreement but even if GSP signed in his contract that he has to defend the MW belt against Whittaker, you can't force him. Contractually, he can simply forfeit the belt and move on which was likely his plan from the beginning. Anything to sign the deal.
The wink wink part would be verbal...but I'm thinking Dana and the UFC needed a contract to wave around.

I agree with the ranking system. Why have it... "Money-Fight" over #1 contender in the UFC today. Big St Pierre fan and I would rather see him test himself against Whitaker than drop back to 170 and fight Woodley.

I think you might be right TS. the whole thing stunk of BS and given the pressure they've been under this may have been what they needed to pull of the 'money fight'.

I hope they get what's coming to them. There's all these killas at WW and MW getting left out...Guys like Usman desperately calling everyone out. Romero never got a damn shot etc...

We just got to see 2 fringe top 10 MWs fight for the belt. The title fight before that was even more of a joke.

Let's hope the same doesn't happen at WW.

I agree with the ranking system. Why have it... "Money-Fight" over #1 contender in the UFC today. Big St Pierre fan and I would rather see him test himself against Whitaker than drop back to 170 and fight Woodley.
I like the ranking system as well, but when the company wants superfights...all bets are off.

The UFC can take the belts off the table for "Super fights".
I think we're about to see a 4 champ weight division fight between GSP and Mac.

Back