UFC year of the tournaments

Psychojoe86

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Perhaps ufc could plan a year with a tournament.

Pick one division and put 8 or 16 fighters from it in tournament, including the current champion. Have two, three, or four matches on a card. There could be subs available in case of injury

Near the end of the year (or maybe middle of the year) the finals could emerge and have built up a lot of hype. And winner can be crowned the new champion.

The ufc has a lot of divisions now, could this be done? Any thoughts?

People are complaining the UFC lacks legitimacy and you want to do this?

16 mans tourney would take the whole years to know the winner nowadays.

Middleweight would be the division for this......but only if GSP vacates and leaves it all up in the air.

Otherwise stick with the current format

Tourney was back in the days when fighters fought 3 times a day.

Today they fight 3 times a year if that much.

And if they´re champion they fight once a year and want to cherry pick their opponents.
ufc204.jpg

Middleweight would be the division for this......but only if GSP vacates and leaves it all up in the air.

Otherwise stick with the current format

Bobby knuckles Vs Gastelum
Weidman Vs Jacare

Rockold Vs Brunson
Romero Vs Borrachihna

People are complaining the UFC lacks legitimacy and you want to do this?

What is illegitimate about a tournament?

It absolutely insures that the fighters that should be fighting, actually DO FIGHT

I suppose money matches and weight-class jumping is better than having a system where the fights are exactly laid out, and the winners fight the winners?

Also, a champ couldn't take a year or more off like Conor and Bisping, etc.

I'm kind of a fan of this actually. But i'd make it a yearly event.

So for example put every belt up for grabs each year. Fighters in the top 16 or whatever would be in the tournament to win the belt. If you cheat you're out, if you get injured you're out and next man up from a predefined list of those not in the tourney. Let there be an end of the year card crowning all the champions and call it something equivalent of the Super Bowl. This would allow for a super hype buildup and for cards to get better and better throughout the year. If you lose then you will still fight on cards in the same year but you will be fighting to stay in the top bracket to be eligible for the next years tournament.

Or something like that. Probably wouldn't work but it would be interesting i think.

I've been saying it for a while: guys Love tournaments.

Back in the PRIDE days, injuries and horseshit never really seemed to get in the way like they do now. We know they did (Bustamante replaced Arona just days out. Misaki replaced Kang), but it's not like it is now, imo.

So, just assume injuries will come and book a shit load of reserve matches for every round. If the tournament Turn to shit, we can acknowledge it and move on. I just want them to give it a shot. I just wanna see brackets for mma.

(No seeds for this one, but just play along)

Bisping
Uriah Hall

Gastelum
Anderson

Jacare
Branch

VITOR
Romero

Rockhold
Borrachinha

C.B Dollaway
Brunson

WEIDMAN
Boetsch

Jotko
Whiitaker

What is illegitimate about a tournament?

One division is suddenly going to change it's ranking/championship format from the rest of the organization? That screams illegitimacy. Furthermore, it's also wildly unfair to the champ, whose already had to work his way through the division. Let alone if it's a division with a defending champ.

This format only works when there is no champ in the division. Then it becomes a natural tournament (see addition of the flyweight division).

It absolutely insures that the fighters that should be fighting, actually DO FIGHT

No it doesn't. Injuries, medical suspensions, and withdrawals are all still common in tournaments. MMA tournaments have always seen random and bizarre matchmaking for that reason. I mean FFS, look at Strikeforce's infamous HW tournament. Fedor got eliminated in round one, Overeem dropped out and jumped to the UFC, and an alternate in Cormier ended up winning the whole thing. Cormier wasn't even a well regarded HW at that time, that tournament was his coming out party.

I suppose money matches and weight-class jumping is better than having a system where the fights are exactly laid out, and the winners fight the winners?

The only reason that's happening at such frequency is because the WME is pushing it. A tournament format isn't going to magically fix shit if WME doesn't want it fixed.

Zuffa ran a ranking based UFC for years with great success. By nature of prize fighting, exceptions are going to be made, but Zuffa did a pretty great job of trying to honour the rankings in most instances.

Also, a champ couldn't take a year or more off like Conor and Bisping, etc.

Unless they're injured, that is again a matter of the organization enforcing/working a schedule. That's not going to change with tournaments.

I mean FFS. We saw PRIDE run tournaments for years, and it muddied the waters over there more than anything. Even Bellator's tournaments grew frustrating to the champions, and you'd often see them out for long stints.

A 16 man tourney takes 9 months to complete, unless you have round 16 and 8 on the same night, with a three or four month break in between, then round 4 and the final. It doesn't take that long to make it happen. It would have to take place in one of the few states that allow multiple fights in one night, or on an Indian reservation.

I'm perfectly fine with all of that and would love to see it. I don't like to see champs involved, due to not being able to defend the title during the tourney. Leave the champ out, and a #1 contender for him to fight while the tourney progresses and then have him fight the winner at the end of the year. Its a great place for little known fighters to become legend.

I'm down for a yearly division tournament, but I would not include the champ or anyone in the top 15. It would be business as usual for anyone in title contention. I'd use the tournament to boost the profile of younger and lower ranked fighters and award them a top 5 ranking or title shot if they won the whole thing.

Just my instant reaction... if you're referring to a long-term tournament played out over the course of a year... isn't that kind of the way it works anyway? Fighters beat other fighters to climb up the rankings and eventually get their shot at the champion.

Sure the UFC hasn't exactly been a bastion of meritocracy recently in regard to its title fights, but that's the general idea isn't it?

Tourney was back in the days when fighters fought 3 times a day.

Today they fight 3 times a year if that much.

And if they´re champion they fight once a year and want to cherry pick their opponents.
ufc204.jpg

The days of fighters fighting 3 times a day is over... for obvious reasons... get over it.

And Bisping fought 3 times in 2016 and will fight twice in 2017. Just FYI.

Perhaps ufc could plan a year with a tournament.

Pick one division and put 8 or 16 fighters from it in tournament, including the current champion. Have two, three, or four matches on a card. There could be subs available in case of injury

Near the end of the year (or maybe middle of the year) the finals could emerge and have built up a lot of hype. And winner can be crowned the new champion.

The ufc has a lot of divisions now, could this be done? Any thoughts?

uhmm arent the ufc currently having a tournament for the womans 125 lb title on tuf?

Back