UFC/WME does nothing to promote a good guy like Stipe (part of an article)

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
This was part of an article by Dave Bixenspan.

Let’s look at the champion, Miocic. He has exciting fights, with his last tepid performance being against Gabriel Gonzaga over three years ago. When Miocic is not in camp for a fight, he’s still working as a firefighter as often as possible even though he no longer needs to. On Twitter, he’s a quick-witted, underrated follow, although not nearly as funny as Lewis. And when he won the title, it was a gigantic event in his hometown of Cleveland.

The UFC didn’t drum up any additional publicity for Miocic’s victory celebration in Cleveland. There’s been no effort to promote his personality, or, outside of token shots on “Countdown” shows, the fact that he goes out of his way to save people’s lives even though he’s a full time fighter now. And in spite of being in at least two of the best heavyweight fights in UFC history with Dos Santos and Overeem, those fights haven’t been pushed as such, which is puzzling when the former came a year after the incumbent “best heavyweight fight” was tarnished by a doping test failure. If you were going to use the mythical lab to build a marketable heavyweight, he’d look something like Miocic.

Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/news/article...avyweight-Division-117763#ECRVd1Syh7cTQPEt.99

I rarely agree with Bix on any opinion piece, but he is a great researcher.
But I agree they dropped the ball with Stipe so far.
I don't think he is Conor, RR, Brock level, but if they promoted his great story (firefighter, blue collar, etc), he might be someone that can be a better draw than he is now.

UFC cannot create million buy PPV stars out of nowhere, but they certainly can promote a HW fighter from US, who is a fireman to their biggest market a lot better than they have & see if he can be a decent draw on PPV & Fox.

Last edited:
Stipe's lack of glibness is a stumbling block for them, yet if they craftily positioned him as the blue collar People's Champ -- a man of action, not words -- even that could be spun as a positive. But the UFC has shown very little imagination in their promoting of fighters, pushing the extremes of abrasive trashtalkers (like Ronda or Connor) and Teen Beat smilers (like Paige and Sage) with nothing in between.

A pity, because Stipe is extraordinarily good with fans. Every account I've read by someone who's come in contact with him is a positive one.

Stipe's lack of glibness is a stumbling block for them, yet if they craftily positioned him as the blue collar People's Champ -- a man of action, not words -- even that could be spun as a positive. But the UFC has shown very little imagination in their promoting of fighters, pushing the extremes of abrasive trashtalkers (like Ronda or Connor) and Teen Beat smilers (like Paige and Sage) with nothing in between.

A pity, because Stipe is extraordinarily good with fans. Every account I've read by someone who's come in contact with him is a positive one.

Exactly
I said this when he won the title & nitwits started with "he can't trash talk like Conor, etc."
He is perfect to promote
He is a blue collar, Cleveland fireman who works his ass off.
He is the epitome of the 'American Dream' & like you said, a real good guy as well.

Edit: I don't think RR is a trash talker or was promoted as one though.

Weren't you just trying to make the complete opposite argument the other day saying that the UFC IS hyping(Promoting) everyone that they should BY paying them good money and giving them main events?? Yes you did, you must be a troll or straight stupid to now say this...

You're also a Dave Meltzer wannabe

What else is new? UFC has never been that good at building stars. Conor promotes himself brilliantly, Ronda got picked up by mainstream media and Brock was already huge in WWE.

You have to give WME/UFC time to grow and find a rhythm.

Everyone expects this merger to hit the ground running and do amazing things from the gate but the truth is this shit takes time.

I'm sure they have very smart capable minds working 7 days a week trying to assess the company and their current situation and figure out ways to improve and monetize.

Fact is they have a HUGE roster and face issues on multiple fronts. They have a roster full of stars and potential stars and everyone has a guy/girl that they think needs a push.

Give them time... If Stipe keeps winning I think eventually they will definitely give him a fair push.

Heavyweight has historically always been a significant division and that includes their champ.

In a slow society, the loudest person is usually the one that is best heard.

I honestly like Stipe's quiet style more than a Cloner's.

He talks well.

You can see that it's a combo of thought out process and in the moment, whereas a lot of people may as well have a teleprompter.

Promoting Stipe would cast the UFC in too bright of a light. Their business model involves latching themselves on to selfish shit talkers who only care about the money.

You have to give WME/UFC time to grow and find a rhythm.

Everyone expects this merger to hit the ground running and do amazing things from the gate but the truth is this shit takes time.

I'm sure they have very smart capable minds working 7 days a week trying to assess the company and their current situation and figure out ways to improve and monetize.

Fact is they have a HUGE roster and face issues on multiple fronts. They have a roster full of stars and potential stars and everyone has a guy/girl that they think needs a push.

Give them time... If Stipe keeps winning I think eventually they will definitely give him a fair push.

Heavyweight has historically always been a significant division and that includes their champ.

I agree on all that, but Bix points are not something that UFC/WME needs to create.
The reception Stipe got in Cleveland & his story is already there.
They barely have to do anything to capitalize, it was done for them.
All they needed to do was promote how he connects with fans.
For WME that should be very easy.

Yep I think the blatant favouritism in promoting is rubbish. Any champ deserves exposure and promotion, they are the damn champ! Instead of promoting a bodybuilder little surfer looking chump and that blonde dancer who are very crap at fighting.

Here it is.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/u...ically-attractive-female-stars.3474417/page-4

Nunes is a millionaire without becoming a draw.

NEXT ..............

;)

If you had reading comprehension it would clearly mean, if you are good enough to become champ then you get rewarded
He brought up Nunes as an example & she headlined TWO PPV's whille PVZ & Waterston did not.

Nunes was on four PPV main cards. Her push was fine & she deserved it

It is not brain surgery that someone with a bigger fanbase will get higher profile spots then their record might warrant.
But if you beat their asses (or comparable in your division) then you get rewarded.

Here's you trying to make it seem like main events and money covers up the fact that the UFC do not promote their fighters. Well Stipe also main events and makes lots of money... So I'm going to use your own stupid argument against you.

You're clearly a troll

I agree on all that, but Bix points are not something that UFC/WME needs to create.

Maybe... Maybe not...

Maybe they don't have confidence in him as of yet and are taking a wait and see approach with him.

Who knows...

In a slow society, the loudest person is usually the one that is best heard.

I honestly like Stipe's quiet style more than a Cloner's.

He talks well.

You can see that it's a combo of thought out process and in the moment, whereas a lot of people may as well have a teleprompter.

When he gets excited, he is hysterical.
Remember when he went nuts demanding a title shot & scared Dana?
People love that if they would promote it.
WME has the pull to get him on Fallon/Kimbel/etc.
Plus he is a heavyweight & casual fans like seeing someone that looks scary.

Maybe... Maybe not...

Maybe they don't have confidence in him as of yet and are taking a wait and see approach with him.

Who knows...

Not saying you, but taking a 'wait & see' approach is asinine.
The Cleveland event was the perfect time
They were handed publicity on a silver platter & ignored it.

Who cares, he makes lots of money and main events! - You a few days ago

Yep I think the blatant favouritism in promoting is rubbish. Any champ deserves exposure and promotion, they are the damn champ! Instead of promoting a bodybuilder little surfer looking chump and that blonde dancer who are very crap at fighting.

Promoting them makes sense.
Can't fault them for that
But that doesn't mean they did not blow it with Stipe & the Cleveland event.
I thought they were brilliant but putting Punk on the card & that would help them publicize Stipe more, but ................

Is normal.
The UFC really are absolutely terrible at promotion. The UFC promotes the UFC, but they don't promote fighters.
It makes no sense. The UFC is nothing without fighters, and yet they seem to not want to make the company about the fighters, so do limited promotion, which in turn limits the company's earning potential.
Popular individuals are good for the company's bottom line, but it seems like the UFC are scared to give fighters an inch.
Stipe has a great story. Nunes has a story. Aldo does. Brash, loud mouth Bisping. Olympian DC. Even Tyron has a good story.

When he gets excited, he is hysterical.
Remember when he went nuts demanding a title shot & scared Dana?
People love that if they would promote it.
WME has the pull to get him on Fallon/Kimbel/etc.
Plus he is a heavyweight & casual fans like seeing someone that looks scary.

The dichotomy also works with casuals:

You will have some in one corner saying "Honda is the GOAT. She's such a fuckin' bad ass!" and after vs. Nunes, the same fans will say "Honda was always overrated af. She just never got tested!". They drop off.

Even now....Connie was the biggest thing in MMA but within and above Sherdog, like on FB, twitter, etc. by far the majority of people don't like him and want to see him defend and lose. The casuals were weeded out but relative to UFC, the business did and does bank off them.

In the other corner, you will have the quiet casual asking "who's that? What's their strength? That's pretty good".

Much like the Stipe vs. Connie approach, I personally find the latter type of casual way more cool to chill with.

Back